WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Bump to find the thread.

Sylvia, I have not had much luck with items from Chico's. They don't seem to launder well - even with not running them through the dryer. The knit pieces I've tried ended up wide and short and the woven pieces seemed to fall apart. And I don't want the expense of dry cleaning everything, so though I really like the look of their clothing I'm not going to buy any more.

Gail, metro ATL

I've mostly had good luck with the things I buy from Chico's. I love their microfiber tank tops. Now that I typed that, I remember being unhappy with their cotton tanks. They did end up short and wide! I loved Chico's and Coldwater Creek when I was slightly heavier because I could get stylish things that fit me. But I do think both stores are overpriced for the quality. I tend to shop only when things are on sale and/or from the outlet store instead of the premium store. Both are close to me so I have a choice.
  • trisH_7183
    trisH_7183 Posts: 1,486 Member
    Options
    [

"Went to a baby shower today – lots of good food – but I did really well – no cupcakes, no wine or punch ! just salad and a small sandwich - 37 women there it was for the hostesses first grand baby - maybe I am just an old fuddy duddy but the quantity of gifts (one mom daughter went in together and brought 30 outfits) seemed way over the top - the mom to be was very gracious; but it just seemed like so much consumption! "

Kim in N. CAL
    [/quote]

Kim,our DD had a baby shower for their son's wife ,expecting 1st baby.Like you,it seemed way beyond any shower I'd ever been to,both in money spent & size of gifts.Both sides of her family were there,then the following wk,her Mother had another huge shower. It's a different world in many ways.:grumble:
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Just doing a quick read and catch up. My sister has been visiting this month. She has made it difficult to stay focused. She wants to eat Mexican every day. Lots of calories. Good thing, we have been shopping, site seeing daily. I hope to just maintain.

Be well all
    Ell in Tucson
  • yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Quick comment on the huge, extravagant showers..........I remember when showers were supposed to be given ONLY by friends; never by family, to be given one by a family member was thought to be very improper and a terrible breach of the rules of etiquette. Things have certainly changed over the years. My neighbor is planning a massive one for her own daughter in June. C'est la vie.

Finally, sun here. Windy and rather chill, but sunny!!!

yanniejannie
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    hi all- Baby showers do seem over the top these days! I never buy newborn sizes for any shower - generally go for the medium (12 month) size, since it seems to be the one babies wear the longest.

Yanniejannie - Not sure what you decided re: Gwen's sister. A few years ago, before we moved back to MA, my MIL's neighbor called us because she was concerned about DMIL falling a few times in a short time period. I can't begin to tell you how much my DH and I appreciated her calling us. We were 1,500 miles away, so could not easily check on her ourselves. The neighbor was really concerned she was out of line by calling, but we certainly assured her that was not the case. Gwen's sister may well want to know what she is walking in on, especially if she has not seen Gwen for some time. Hope this helps.

Alison - yep, we do need to get together with Rita. Are weekends better than weekdays?? I'm pretty open, though I have a class on Tuesday and Thursday morning. I'm about 20-30 minutes north of Springfield MA. Let's figure out some dates. I will be out of touch beginning 4/8 for a week and the end of May-early June. That's about all my conflicts, since I am the retired one of this threesome!

Jill in western MA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Well, today I had good news and bad news. On March 19th, my grandkids and I all got tested for the genetic disorder that my son has, A1-AT defeciency. Today the test results came back. One of the kids is a MM, which means no risk. The other two kids are both MZ, which means they are carriers but not likely to develop full blown symptoms later in life. That was the good news. My results weren't quite as good. I am an SZ, which is the marker for moderate risk of liver and lung disease. I expected to be a carrier (MZ) so was a little stunned to hear SZ. My son is a ZZ, which is the most severe. So, although I do not have symptoms yet, except a little asthma, I could develop it later but probably not to the degree that my son has.

I have an appointment later this month for a pulmonary function test and some other testing to get a better idea where I am in the big scheme of things. On the plus side is my weight loss, which helps in so many ways, and the fact that I stay away from "triggers" like smoke and fumes. My son was a welder for many years which has hurt him a lot. The dust produced in my pottery studio may be something I have to eliminate. We'll have to wait and see how the tests come out.

So, I've been a little bummed out about it today. I started out at panic, then went to numb, then settled into bummed out. My results came first, and I felt a LOT better when I heard the results for the kids a few hours later. My siblings all need to be tested because they could have a time bomb inside, just waiting to explode.

Well, I hope everybody is having a great day! I hope you aren't getting hit with another blast of winter.

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hey Sylvia, that wasn't what you were hoping to hear. :flowerforyou: You're already taking good care of yourself; I'm sure you'll reap the benefits of that!
    Thinking of you,

Cynthia
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: It looks like spring here and feels like winter but I know that it will get warmer sometime soon.

:bigsmile: Kim, congrats on eating smart at the baby shower……I am always challenged by days when I can’t have my meals at their regular times….you did great.

:flowerforyou: Patty, I woke up in the middle of the night with my mind racing, so I moved into the guest room and read myself back to sleep….did you enter your new weight in the tab “Check in”? and then click on “save changes”

:bigsmile: Tigress, good eating plan for your embroidery meeting.

:bigsmile: Kathy in IL, breaking up with Taco Bell will do wonders for your health and your weight and your energy level.

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: Just before bedtime (about 7PM PDT) I’ll post the new thread for April. It’s time to take a look at your March goals and resolutions and see how you’ve done and begin planning some new ones for April ( or just use the old ones, if you want to)

:heart: Barbie from beautiful NW Washington

569147nmlfkdnzlz.gif

Here I am riding my exercise bike watching my recordings of the World Figure Skating Championships on TV
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke is really long:

:laugh:

I am writing in response to your request for “additional information.” In block number 30 of the accident report form, I put “poor planning” as the cause for my accident. You said in your last letter that I should explain more fully. I trust that the following detail will be sufficient.

I am an amateur radio operator. On the day of the accident, I was working alone on the top section of my new 80-foot antenna tower. When I completed my work, I discovered that I had, over the course of several trips up the tower, brought about 300 lbs. of tools and spare hardware. Rather than carry the now unneeded tools and materials down by hand, I decided to lower the items in a small barrel by using a pulley, which fortunately was attached to the pole at the tip of the tower. Securing the rope at ground level, I went up to the top of the tower and loaded the tools and materials into the barrel. Then I went back to the ground and untied the rope, holding it tightly to insure a slow descent of the 300 lbs. of tools.

You will note in block number 11 of the accident report form that I weigh 155 lbs. Due to my surprise at being jerked off the ground so suddenly, I lost my presence of mind and forgot to let go of the rope. Needless to say, I proceeded at a rapid rate up the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40-foot level, I met the barrel coming down. This explains my fractured skull and broken clavicle.

Slowed only slightly, I continued my rapid ascent, not stopping until the fingers of my right hand were two knuckles deep into the pulley. Fortunately by this time I had regained my presence of mind and was able to hold tightly on the rope in spite of the pain. At about the same time however, the barrel hit the ground. The bottom fell out of the barrel. Devoid of the weight of the tools, the barrel now weighed 20 pounds.

I refer you again to my weight in block number 11. As you might guess, I began a rapid descent down the side of the tower. In the vicinity of the 40-foot level, I met the barrel coming up. This accounts for the two fractured ankles and the lacerations or my legs and lower body.

The encounter with the barrel slowed me enough to lessen my injuries when I fell into the pile of tools, and fortunately only three vertebras were cracked. I am sorry to report, however, that as I lay there on the tools in pain, unable to stand, and watching the empty barrel 80 feet above me, I again lost my presence of mind.

I let go of the rope.
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

Feel better today, hope to get back to exercising tomorrow.

Sylvia, not news you wanted, but all of the good habits you have will make a difference! :flowerforyou:

Have a nice night everyone!

Hugs and prayers,

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    March was a strange month for our family. 3 of us ended up in the E R, at different times for different reasons. I due to food poisoning. DD due to shorteness of breath (6 ms pregnant), and DH due to an industrial accident. The worst one for wear is DH, who lost part of a finger. He will be out of commission for a while. Although, he is being a bad boy, and can't seem to stay away from his shop. After all, that is his business. How...pray tell...do you keep a man from his livelihood? I do try.

See you all in April. Sure hope...it will be more boring than March.

Renny
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi gang from very windy Omaha!!! Oh my gosh, the winds were in the 50 mph range today. It went from sunny 70s to chilly 40s with that wind. I went to aqua zumba and got my 6,000 steps in. DH is having major family drama right now and I’m trying to lay low…not from him but the drama is amazing. One cousin is a major alcoholic who is harassing the wife of the cousin with a head injury and is now calling here. At least she recognizes it and is going to go to counseling.
    The migraine left late yesterday but last night I was awake after midnight all night. Bleh!

Sylvia: hilarious! Both your joke and hubby’s student. I have had those conversations too

Jb: I can’t stand being hungry! And lately I am starving!!!

Welcome Carol

Kim: I’m with you on the showers and birthday parties. Over the top. Although I have to admit when we adopted our kids from Russia, a coworker gave me a shower. Every single person in the college, even people I didn’t even know, gave me gifts. It took 3 trips with my car stuffed to get everything home. I was totally overwhelmed and had to split the gifts up into birthday, Christmas, etc.

Brenda; great nsv!!!

Tigress: I don’t like greek yogurt but have found Chobani bites to be pretty good and perfect for the diabetic snack….14 grams of carb. Congrats on the weight loss!

Kathy: welcome back. You were missed. So glad you are doing well in school.

Gloria: did you see the opening night game last night? The web gem was the ball girl who caught an amazing drive down the first base line. Her catch was better than a lot of the players!

Well girls, I read everyone’s posts but need to go to bed after not sleeping last night. Sweet dreams and take care. Meg from Omaha where I’m trying not to blow away!
  • barbiecat
    Options
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I got so busy watching the first baseball game of the season that i almost forgot to start the new thread.

Here is the link to the new thread for April.....see you there

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1238915-women-ages-50-for-april-2014
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sue in SD: Congratulations on your retirement. It was a hard decision for me at the time, but I’ve never regretted it for a moment.

Tigress in GA: Congratulations on the loss!

Sylia: “Yes, today is the final...oh, I'm so sorry to hear that...(long winded explanation on the other end)...grandfather? I thought you said grandmother? ... 10:00... Don't forget your calculator.” Laughing and laughing. Thanks!

Kathy in IL: Did I say welcome back? Because I’m happy to hear from you and glad things are going well.

Kayzoola: I’m not surprised that your DH didn’t appear to notice you had your hair cut. With five missing inches, does your hair still reach your shoulders?

Jane: I hope your pains ease a way and you feel better.

Heather: Do you really mean Saharan dust? Or just dust from the south. I’ve never considered what weather patterns in the Eastern Hemisphere are like. Sorry you’re still struggling with your property management. Our son has a townhouse in CO that he rents out. The management fees are steep, but they do take care of things.

Dr. Katie: I went to Coldwater Creek to shop one time and came away without a purchase. Their styles were attractive, but didn’t feel like “me.”

I’m out of time. I need to go to yoga. I’ll be back later. I haven’t been to yoga in two weeks because of our recent trip and I ache for it.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Just a reminder, ladies, the new April thread has started -

• trojanmom5
    Options
    Can someone tell me how to go back to a date and change the weight! I typed my weight in wrong a couple days ago and it was 100 pounds off! Yikes. As nice as that would be, it is not accurate and I just noticed today.
  • barbiecat
    Options
    Here is the link to the new thread for April.....see you there

[/quote]
  • trojanmom5
    Options
    I don't put much out here, but I really enjoy seeing everything you all do. It's an inspiration. I hope everyone has a great weekend.