WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

Sylvia, thank you so much for the giggles every day. I read those jokes to DH, he likes them too. Feel better this evening but missed getting to exercise today. I made notes of my food today, but not sure of calories for dinner. Resting and drinking lots of fluids.

Hugs and Prayers to all, I read the thread and know many are dealing with much more than a cold!

My thoughts are with you.

Cindy in OK :heart:
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Well, this has been a horrible food day and not so great for steps, either. :frown: But, I'm not going to get all bent out of shape about it. I had a good day in everything else! I met my deadlines at work with good work, I spent a little time by myself, I spent some time with both my son and my daughter, I previewed a couple of new exercise DVDs, I called the insurance company about my meds, did some cleaning in my room, and I helped my friend re-write his sermon (curious as to what I will actually hear on Sunday :laugh: ). All in all, a great day other than those villainous foods clawing their way out of their packaging then forcing my mouth open just to slide down my throat. :tongue: I ate my entire day's allotment of calories with one bag of dark chocolate covered dried cherries. :sad: But, I enjoyed every bite! :bigsmile: Tomorrow is a new day, right?

I got a big kick out of the mini eggs just randomly popping out of their packaging so that they "had" to be eaten! Don't we all have our justification stories...

I reek of Starbucks so I am going to get into jammies and go to bed. No alarms tomorrow!!!! :love: Of course, that means I will wake up at 6 a.m. and not be able to go back to sleep. :grumble: Oh, well, if I do, I will beat the crowds to the grocery store to pick up a few sale items.

Good night! :yawn:

Carol in NC
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Ohhh...after yesterday's "mini-splurge, today my stomach feels so so "yukky". The good thing is that because of this, I'll constantly remember how horrible I feel so I'll be less inclined to splurge. I can hear my stomach rumbling right now.

Margaret - no, I'm not getting sick, my stomach just feels so "yukky". I don't remember feeling this horrible before, but in a way that's a good thing.

Cynthia - how I can relate to what you said about the splurges being smaller. I really surprised myself last night in that I didn't want to continue splurging. In the past I would have, but not now. How our bodies change!

I don't remember who posted the recipe for the double chocolate black bean brownies, but for that person: I tried them today. The directions call for chocolate chips, but I don't think they were in the ingredients list. How much chocolate chips do you use? Based on other black bean brownies that I've made, I guessed at 1/2 cup.

Cindy6 - so sorry you're not feeling well. Get better fast

As far as singing in the church, I always say if they want to clear the church in record time, just have me sing. That'll definitely do it. The only way I try it is in my head.

Went to deep water class today, then to mahjongg. Tomorrow I'm planning to do a couple of challenges, it's cardio and weights.

Rita - I'm so sorry you're not happy. Hopefully, you're attitude will change once the nicer weather gets here. This has been a horrible winter, and I know it's been real bad in CT. My money is on the fact that that has something to do with your feeling of unhappiness. I agree with Margaret, check your vit D. That could really explain a lot

When I go to FL I get this hulled barley. Lately, I've gotten to where I really like that stuff. Anyway, I went to the Health Food store here to see if they have it. They had something called "hulless barley". Honestly, I was of the opinion that that had like 1 level of refinement. The guy told me that it didn't, so I bought some, I'm going to try it. Hope he's right. Update: it seems to have the same consistency of the hulled barley. I'll have to try it in the crockpot next.

Sylvia - your adventure with avoiding those mini eggs cracked me up. Stopped at WalMart after mahjongg today and noticed that it appears they've discontinued my cheese. I liked the Sargento low sodium cheese sticks. Why does everyone carry low fat but not low sodium? You know, one time I was buying applesauce, and at first I was going to get the WM brand. I happened to read the ingredient list. Was I ever shocked to see that their applesauce contained salt! Motts doesn't. I'm sure the reason WM's does is because salt is a flavor enhancer. Really, to me, its more of a flavor detractor.

Alison - what a very nice thing you did going to that funeral.

Well, we were sitting down having dinner and heard this noise again. I rushed to look at the steps, but evidentally Loki had already come out of the seizure. I'm suspecting that he somehow knows when it's going to happen because the past few times he's been at the bottom of the steps. I suspect he knows something's going to happen and so he goes off to be "by himself". Vince said that he'll give him a full pill tonight. Fortunately, it appears these seizures are mini-seizures. We know it'll take a while for the phonobarbital to build up in his system. But he's been on 1-1/2 pills/day for a while now.

Has anyone ever had the sea salt chocolate? I tried a sample, and honestly didn't like it. Salt and chocolate? Just tasted "weird"

Here it is Fri night and my stomach STILL is grumbling mad!

Michele in NC
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    GAAAA I forgot to log in all day! Now it's bedtime and I'm falling asleep! zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz meg

PF Jill did you see my email? I sent in via mfp, not your other address.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    I was scanning the old posts and found Joyce's and had to reply. Long term care insurance is a must, must, must in my opinion. I don't mind sharing...hubby and I each pay about $1700/year. Our policies are for 5 years each with survivor benefits....if one of us dies, the other can have the benefits the dead person paid for.

My dad is in a nursing home at the price of nearly $7,000 a month and he doesn't even have the highest level of care and it is by far not the most expensive one around. He had LTC insurance that is still paying, but is about to run out so he will be self pay for the rest of his life. Thank God he has retirement pay from the navy and two private corporations where he was an executive. He also has good income from investments......without it he'd be on Medicaid I'm sure. If you don't have a huge nest egg, if you end up in one of these places, you'll go broke. Unfortunately, most people do not have the funds he has....we sure don't!!! I see it all the time as I am sure you have as a nurse....people who lose everything paying for medical care of some type or other.

Well I have rattled on and on, but I feel strongly about this topic and wanted to share since you were asking. Meg
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Marking my place. Have a great evening.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Just checking in... I have a baby shower to go to on Sunday and I need to make a gift so won't stay long, thinking of everyone - Happy Friday night :drinker:

Black Bean Brownies – That was me and yes they take ½ cup of chocolate chips !!! Sorry I miss typed.

Michele – the salted chocolate and the salted carmel – are both weird!

Kim in N. Cal
  • Tigredia
    Tigredia Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Oh my. I finally found this thread again. I didn't know threads start over after 20 pages. I do now. I've read through most of the last 9 pages. Such a great group.

Ell in Tucson
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Just popping in to say hello:bigsmile: ! I have a busy weekend, at least this is busy fun:laugh: :bigsmile: !!!

Have a wonderful Saturday!!! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in rainy NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,803 Member
    Options
    morning vitamin F friends,
    well I have been bad over the last 3 months and the scale shows it, I am up 7 lbs:huh:
    back on the band wagon, and no more stress eating and nibbles here and nibbles there
    I am on a mission
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Alison: you are NOT bad! Maybe you just need a bit of a break instead of requiring a lot (more) from yourself. Maintaining for a while is good too! :flowerforyou:

Cynthia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    After stalling for a while I'm down about three pounds again. Yippee!

Cynthia
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good morning all, cats got me up at 6 am to feed them and I just decided to stay up. I prelogged breakfast last night then changed my mind this morning. Reading everyone's adventures in Easter candy was great. I allotted 2 kisses last night in my calorie choices. I enjoyed them, but 2 was enough. We buy Easter candy and send it to the grandchildren so it's gone fast No, I'm not tempted. I used to like the Cadbury eggs, the large ones, I ate one a couple of years ago and you know what it wasn't very good. Made my teeth hurt, it was so sweet. I know if I eat the right amount of fruit I don't crave sweets.

Meg- I try to prelog my food in the morning, then follow what I wrote. I am afraid I couldn't remember every bite I took throughout the day. Hope you slept well.
    Tigress in GA
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Meg: We couldn’t get long term care insurance for DH at all because of his diabetes. That was before the MS diagnosis. I wasn’t considered a risk, so we didn’t get any for me. I hope it doesn’t come back to bite us. :noway: Our kids each want us to move in with them when the time comes. Mom was in an assisted living facility for a few months before her death and could afford it. When she was in need of skilled nursing care, medicare paid. I have a friend who sold her home and bought into a senior retirement community along with her mom and her DH. Her Mom and DH are now gone, but my friend still lives there and seems very happy. In her 70’s now, my friend is still the kid on the block. Her fellow residents are in their 80s and 90s. We had lunch together a few weeks ago, and the place was pleasant and upbeat. There are rules about pets, though. My friend was moving to a different building so she could adopt a cat.:flowerforyou:

Ell in Tucson: We get 500 posts and then there is a new thread. I don’t know how many pages that turns out to be. You can find the new thread by going to Community, My Topics, and Women 50+. The link is at the end of the last post.:flowerforyou:

DeeDee: I’m glad you’ll have some busy fun this weekend. We’re still resting from our trip. I thought about power washing the deck yesterday, but couldn’t work up the energy to do it. We’ll see how today goes.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Welcome back to the groove. Keeping stress at bay is a serious challenge that many of us face in our lives. You’ve had your share & it is somebody else’s turn now. I hope you’ll give yourself permission to take care of yourself first.:flowerforyou:

I just checked the weather forecast for my area and it calls for showers today. I didn’t work up the gumption to try out my power washer yesterday but maybe I will today. I like to power wash on sunny days because it is a pleasant way to be outside in the sunshine. We’ll see how it goes. I feel better this morning than I did yesterday. The fatigue is easing away a bit.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday,

Deedee sounds like a great weekend! Enjoy!:drinker:

Alison agree with the other voices here. It is not selfish to take care of yourself. I have noticed with some of the darling people in my life when I do set limits and do something to take care of myself they are surprised and their reaction is not always positive. I am trying to learn not to react when this happens. They will learn when you take care of you. You are better able to take care of them, besides it makes you a great role model. I like your determination to get back on track!

Cynthia !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!on weight loss. I agree on splurges too. Instead of going over a 1000 calories a day on a splurge it might be 200-400 calories.

Michelle hope your stomach woes resolve for you soon.

DH home with grocery. Time to go help.

Goal:
    To take care of myself today, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.
    Go for a walk outside. Fix the chip in my windshield before it becomes a cracked windshield.

2014 word: contentment
    :heart:
    Margaret
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies,

Love all the adventures with Easter candy. My weakness is dark chocolate. I used to like the large Cadbury eggs too, but agree they are too sweet. I have discovered recipes for protein bars, Jamie Eason's recipe for chocolate protein bars is good. I followed her recipe but think more cocoa would make them better. They are low fat, high protein. She makes them with stevia. The recipe can be found easily on the internet. These keep me in line when I want a treat. Hubby likes dessert when we go out, so I allow myself a real treat then.

I feel better today, the sinus pressure from the cold is way better. Drinking lots of lemon water and hot tea. Thank you for all of the get well wishes,

Hugs to everyone,

Cindy in oK. :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful women!

Just Skyped DGS . He was in fine form, telling us about his new shoes. He now is doing pirate role playing and went through his whole repertoire of phrases, including "shiver me timbers" and "yo ho ho and a bottle of rum" !!!!!!!!:laugh: Ain't technology wonderful!:bigsmile: :love:

Cynthia - many congrats on the 3 lbs!:drinker: :drinker: :flowerforyou:

Kim - good to hear you listened to the programme. Quite an amazing woman. I piped my eye a couple of times.

Sylvia - loved your egg story. Over twenty years ago I remember buying half a pound of cheese from the shop, driving down the road with it on the seat next to me, and it had all gone by the time I hit the traffic lights! ! ! ! ! :embarassed: Cheese is my chocolate.:tongue:

I have a shoulder of British new season lamb slow roasting in the oven. For the first time I cut some slits in it and stuffed them with anchovies. I have often seen that done on the TV, but have never done it myself. Lots of thyme and lemon juice. Garlicky French beans will be the accompaniment. Potatoes for DH.

Lovely sunny day here, but breezy. There is a patch of flowerbed that we need to tackle, but I probably won't do that today. Most of our back garden is lawn over an old clay tennis court. This bed also is over it so the depth of soil is very shallow. ( All our veg is grown in raised beds in the front garden. ) We heaped loads of extra topsoil onto this bed, but apart from when we first planted perennials it has always been disappointing and scruffy. A lupin is struggling up, but other than weeds everything dies. Tomorrow I think we must tackle it and decide what to plant. It is in full sun so might try annuals, after some more soil.

Saturday is newspaper reading day, with all the supplements. I am feeling guilty about not doing the baking I have got lined up, but I still have lots of time after our jag trip next week. My yoga friend is entering the W I competition next Tuesday with some Easter biscuits, but I don't want to put any more pressure on myself before our trip away. Yesterday we went to our local big store and, for once, they had my favourite bra in my size. That's the third time of trying!:grumble: Also got some fine hold ups to wear with my posh dress and I've painted my toenails sky blue. Getting a bit excited and nervous now!

Love to all. Give yourselves some lovingkindness today!:bigsmile: :love: :heart: :flowerforyou:

Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Good morning! Swimming was nice this morning. We were the first ones in the pool, so we got our favorite lanes. Then came home and put some beef in the crock pot and spent about an hour experimenting with homemade no-salt BBQ sauce. I started with a recipe on cooks.com and then added to it. I accidentally put in oregano instead of allspice, so I tripled the recipe to try to dilute that flavor. In the end I came up with something I think I can eat. Hubby will use the real BBQ sauce instead of mine.

We went to that new restaurant last night, and it was awful. I got a salad with smoked chicken and pear. It was so bad I sent it back. I have never done that before. The chicken was ice cold and slimy. The pear was tasteless, and there was nothing under it but spinach. I HATE spinach, and the menu said lettuce. So, the waiter offered to bring me something else. I told him I was on a low salt diet and didn't see anything else on the menu that I could eat. He went back to ask the "chef" and came back saying they didn't have anything for me. So I sat there watching hubby eat his tough BBQ brisket, then came home and ate leftovers.

Today we signed the grandson up for soccer at the Y. I was reluctant, telling hubby that it would mean I had to take kids somewhere every Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday plus swimming on Sunday afternoons, so he said HE would take the little guy to soccer. I was shocked that he would offer. He thinks soccer would be really good for him, because he loves to run and kick. I think hubby is developing quite a nice bond with the little guy. It's really sweet. The grandson thinks the world of grandpa, too. I think it's funny that hubby's students are so terrified of him, but this tiny little boy gets him to crawl around on the floor playing with cars and holds his hand walking across the parking lot. He's really turning into a marshmallow.

Well, gotta go do something constructive. Have a great Saturday!

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Sylvia: how ridiculous! Can't believe a restaurant would do something like that.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Alison – how could any one as devoted to her family and her in-laws be bad? :noway: Any only gaining 7 lbs after all you have been though is a huge success! :smile: You’ll make some lower calorie choices and be back down 7 lbs before you know it.

Cynthia – Yeah! Good job:smile::smile:

Katla – Happy power washing - I laughed when I read about his and hers power washers… I could just imagine the dueling washers:smile:

Heather – I love the description of your day – and sky blue toes ! too fun

Sylvia - Just read about the new restaurant.... How awful! well one thing is for sure with that attitude, and food quality they'll be gone quickly and you'll have another new restaurant to try when someone else takes over that location!

Today is a partial work day for me, a couple of letter jackets to finish and then the baby shower gift to finish and wrap. There is supposed to be a storm coming in wind and rain - it is very dark grey and stormy looking outside right now (9 am) - Did an early dog walk so we would not have to walk in the storm; I am trying to get my speed up - but it is hard, I get distracted by a bird, beautiful bush, new paint job or my own thoughts-- walking is a quiet time for me--almost a meditation; but I know it would be healthier to push a bit harder. :ohwell:

I am trying to put off breakfast; and do a brunch as I have been craving sausage and waffles with maple syrup -it fits better in the count that way. :drinker:

I don't know if any of you are big readers; but I am (2 book clubs) I probably read 4-5 books a month - but I watch almost no TV... Levi loves animal shows on TV so when I do watch it he watches with me - it is very cute. Anyway I just finished The Island by Victoria Hislop it is a historical fiction based on the Greek island of Spinalonga which was a leper colony - it has it's sad parts but is so well written - I would highly recommend it.

Smiles Kim in soon to be stormy N. CAL