WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Vicki: it must feel strange that your dad is gone. My sympathy for your loss. :flowerforyou:
    To the splurgers: I'm noticing that too, that the splurges are not as big, and that my old tendency to just keep going on a splurge/binge is weaker. Sometimes it just feels good to eat Oreos mindlessly, and it also feels good to say, OK, that was that, and go on from there. Amazing feeling that I'm actually reasonably successful in doing that.

Good day, everybody. :flowerforyou:
    Cynthia
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Good Morning to All,
    I'm at work, it stormed last night and is still raining and winding this morning. I heard tomorrow might be a decent weather day.
    I logged all my food and exercise yesterday. I want to log as I go or before I eat so I stay on track. It's so easy to pick the wrong food and then know you've already made a bad choice so you continue to make them for the day.
    The class yesterday at lunch was a really kick butt one. I am thinking of trying the noon pilate class today but not sure. There is a line dance class on Tuesday and I'd like to try it as well.
    I sure hope this day passes quickly as I am so looking forward to not working tomorrow. Sunday will be my last to work at the Y as we only open January thru March on Sundays. I've worked them for many years, either all of them or sometimes every other, and I'm always doing the happy dance by the end of the three months. Having the entire week-end off is so much better for me.
    I bought a box of Fiber One meal bars at the store last night. I'm trying them out for breakfast this morning, Strawberry Greek Yogurt. It is pretty good. 170 cals, 9 fiber, 9 sugar and 10 protein.
    I hope everyone has a safe, healthy week-end.
    Take care,
    Patty, Cincinnati
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    morning ladies,
    sorry I didnt really check in yesterday was busy with the DGD, we had an absolute ball yesterday suprising my family..., my DB, and DSIL,then my dad or as Taliah calls him Double G, we all met at a local pizza joint for lunch, then I went to check on my DFIL, he is adjusting pretty well. came back home made dinner for the DH and then we went back out to see DFIL so that the DH knows where his dad is,I will be going to a bridal shower tomorrow after work so he will have to visit on his own. he says he would rather drive farther to have him where he wants to be ,in his home... and that Iris (SIL) needs to tell him he is there permanently.
    poor Taliah was in tears when she had to leave.. she wants to stay here so bad, and I feel so sorry for her.
    I think after work even though I cant stand Kyles mother, I will go to his grandfather's wake just to pay my respects and I am doing it for Tracy and for Kyle...
    Vicki- so sorry for your loss, it is so hard to lose a parent,we are the sandwich generation and I worry about what will happen when we get to that age:noway:
    working all day today so will,hop in the shower and get some food together for lunch
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Vicki:smile: So sorry to hear about your dad:brokenheart: :cry: ! Will be thinking about you and your family:flowerforyou: !

No more time this morning. Have a great Friday ladies! Drink your water :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in supposed to be rainy for the next 2 days:frown: NC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Hi again,
    Yanniejannie - I remember last time I posted about Desert Island Discs you listened to it. Today's was very interesting, though the music wasn't brilliant. It was a nurse called Dame Claire Bertschinger who has spent most of her working life in war zones working for the Red Cross. Very moving.
    Any one can listen to the recording - bbc.co.uk/radio4/features/desert-island-discs
    Love to all
    Heather in Hampshire UK
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Marking my spot. Not feeling my best, have a head cold. Drinking lots of lemon water.

Hugs,

Cindy in OK. :heart:
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Vicki – Sorry for your loss. Like the others, I’m glad you were able to be there and speak with him.

Joyce – Will be thinking of you on Sunday morning. Satan loves to stop anyone from being effective so if negative thoughts come into your head, say out loud “Get thee behind me, Satan!” :angry: I always wanted to have a nice signing voice but I have to settle on “making a joyful ‘noise’ unto the Lord”. :ohwell:

Joyce – I have long-term health insurance but it is really something that has to be considered on an individual basis. I got it when I was in my 30’s because I was divorced with no children and the youngest of my siblings. There isn’t an option of ‘the kids’ looking after me. Also, I was the sole income and if something happened like a car accident and I was unable to work for several months the insurance would take care of it. As I age, even though I am now married, my DH is older than me so there is a good chance I will be alone in my later years. In our area, the assisted living places charge around $4000 - $5000 per month! That will deplete savings rapidly. My DH doesn’t have it and doesn’t feel the need to get it. If something happened to me first, he has 2 daughters, his retirement, plus my life insurance so he should be ok. My rates are about $600.00 but that is because I got it when I was younger. Like any insurance plan, you pay for it with hopes of never having to use it. Maybe you could talk to someone like a financial planner who doesn’t have anything to gain to discuss all of the options. Mine had different levels you could get. I wouldn’t just go on what someone selling the plan has to say. Hope this helps a little.

Cindy – Hope you start feeling better soon. Rest and recover. :flowerforyou:

Carol – Yesterday must have been ‘donut’ day. I worked from home and DH returned from the store with ½ dozen of donuts, 3 a piece. :noway: He said he got them to thank me for taking care of him and picking up the extra work around the house so he could rest during his cold. I ate them, logged them, and determined to do more exercise today to count for the extra calories.

Warmer here today but calling for a rainy weekend. At least it’s not snow! This should help get those flowers and trees going. I have some daffodils that are struggling to open so with some sun due early next week I hope to be enjoying their beauty soon.
    I was able to lose 5 of those 6 pounds I gained back from eating everything within reach so feeling hopeful I will soon be able to more that ticker to 40 pounds lost.

Happy Friday,
    Tina from MD
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: Congratulations on an important victory. :drinker: I am happy that your splurges are fewer and smaller. I’ve been here for a year and a half and have a whole new relationship with food. I never thought it could happen. I don’t even want many of the things I used to consider treats because I know they will make me feel lousy. Potato chips are an example. They cause water retention and make my hands swell and ache. I’m not Pearl Pureheart. I do regularly consume alcohol and eat ice-cream. I’ve discovered that I need to buy the ice-cream one cone at a time. When I have a carton in the freezer it tends to get eaten too quickly.:ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Alison: I’ve been the sandwich filling, and now I am the elder generation. I was “orphaned” during my forties. I really did feel like an orphan for a time. I remember the stress of dealing with my parent's health, my children, and work all at the same time. All of the members of my parent’s generation have been gone for some time. It was almost as hard losing my favorite Auntie as my parents.:flowerforyou:

Tina from MD: I would be content to raise a joyful noise to the Lord, if only it could also be a tuneful one. :tongue: When in church, I sing very softly. I do not attend church on a regular basis. When alone, I sing a joyful noise to the Lord. Then it is just between Him and me, and I don’t think He is a music critic.:flowerforyou:

We are having a quiet morning and low pressure today. I am so happy about it that I’m considering trying out my new power washer on cleaning the deck. We now have His and Hers power washers. Mine is less powerful and runs on electricity. I can hook up the water, plug it in and turn it on. His runs on gas and has a NASTY starter. His currently needs to be repaired because it leaks gas. If mine works well enough, he may get rid of his. Having one less thing in the garage would be nice.:glasses:

Katla in beautiful but rainy NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    TGIF!!Have a great day!
    hugs
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Michele – I am in a couple of volunteer organizations and I have done in each a “role” and gave them both up and now volunteer on projects – bounce in do my thing and done! Works much better for me. :happy:

Carol – I have been like that with donuts too… but realized the last time I indulged that the donut was just not that good..:ohwell: so I have started to cut a donut in half (no one minds that) then cut off a sliver and if it is really a good one then I’ll figure out how to fit it in; but if it is like most of them – they look and smell so much better than they are – I can walk away and tell myself I am saving those calories for something worth it – I usually have to pick out what that will be (for me usually a glass of red wine) to continue to resist. :wink:

Alison – you are so good to your family – would you adopt me? :flowerforyou:

Heather – listening now. Love little polka dot bikini:laugh:

Joyce - My mom has a friend and her hubby who have it; they have no local kids and the hubby needed to be put in to a care facility and so my mom recruited me to help figure the insurance gig..as her friend was getting turned down. So lots of email, phone calls, and hours on hold – there was a part that required the person spend 10 days in the hospital before moving to long term care.:noway: Well in today’s world 10 days in the hospital doesn’t happen often; BUT for him he had been in there 10 days but the paper work did not get done at the hospital on the first day so they showed it as 9 days. They had paid $15,000 on insurance over the years and there was nothing we could do :grumble: - So my warning is don’t sign up until you read and fully understand all the small print.

We are having a sunny day - which is nice; but we still need more rain; and it is supposed to rain the whole weekend. :wink:

I lost another pound at today's check in which is great - but I am measuring every week and it is so weird. not much change and some times it goes up:indifferent: --- I am not doing much exercise, lots of walking but that it, do you all measure every week or ??? thanks!

Kim in N. CAL
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,956 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to wonder if the move to CT was right for us. I do enjoy being near my family and seeing my grand-kids, but I am not happy. My DH is not happy either. It's not the job, I just don't know what....... Guess my depression is getting the best of me...I am so tired all the time and all I want to do is sleep. No ambition, I have to force myself to do anything. I will have to talk to the doctor.

Thanks for listening.

Rita from CT
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Tina, I haven't spoken to any broker about any of this insurance. I just read it on an AP news article. My Mom had to move into a retirement home. She had 2 pensions which took care of most of the expenses of a very small one bedroom apartment in this wonderful home. There are 4 of us kids and we all paid $50 a month to finish the rent. It did not come with any assisted living. She didn't need it then but it would have been private pay. But that was before she found out about the federal program through the VA division called Widows pension benefit. She was able to get over $1000/month and move into a two bedroom and much more roomy apartment in the same retirement home. I don't know what we would have done without that widows pension benefit.and any American who was a widow of a veteran can apply. They may not get the same check as Mom got. I had to fill out a very detailed form of Mom's medical needs including things like the fact that she had to move there because she couldn't fix her won meals anymore and she got 3 meals a day and free housekeeping there. They provided transport to doctors office. This all went under the umbrella of medical needs. The director there was very familiar with the paperwork and knew exactly what needed to be said and prepared on her end.

As far as our own needs??? We have 2 girls, both that we have to occasionally send or give money to so they can make bills. I have MS and husband has Parkinsons in its early stages. So there is very much a potential need there.

All the candy has been destroyed here, either by husband, daughter or trash can. So all is gone. It's just that we have several weeks before Easter and those dreaded eggs are still out there. I am at my worst when I am out by myself, like when I go to church .AGGGHHHH

Joyce, Indiana
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Darn it Joyce! I passed an Easter display in Walmart this afternoon and out of the corner of my eye noticed "Cadbury Mini Eggs". Huh, I thought. I wonder if those might be the ones Joyce has so much trouble with. So, I backed up. The label said low sodium. Hmmm. There was a teenie tiny bag of the darned things for 68cents, so I thought I would just see what all the fuss was about. So, I bought the darned things. When I got to the car, the bag popped open, so I might as well taste one, then I'll save the rest for hubby. Well, I didn't care for it. That candy shell was the part that bothered me, I think. But I should probably taste one more, just to be sure. Hmmm. That one wasn't so bad. But reading the bag I saw that it was over 200 calories, so I would certainly save the rest for hubby. Then as I was driving, one or two rolled out of the bag onto the seat. I surely wouldn't want hubby to eat those. They might be dirty. But not wanting to waste them, I dusted them off and popped them in the old pie hole. Now, the little bag was getting less full by the second. At a stop light I noticed there were only THREE left in the bag. This will not look good for me when I present hubby with three tiny eggs. He will certainly ask where the rest went. So, as it turns out, hubby will have to get his own bag. :blushing:

My son got his first infusion of meds this morning. He said it all went well and he had no adverse effects so far. He is so hopeful that this will really help him. I'm not sure it will improve his current level of function, but it should help slow down the deterioration. But if he thinks it will help, maybe it will. Who knows. I took the little guy for the morning so he wouldn't see the whole procedure. His dad's chest looks a little like a gunshot victim at the moment, and the little guy scares easily so he doesn't need to see that. I took him to my studio and we played games on the ipad till time to go to lunch and school.

We were short on milk this morning, so instead of having a glass of skim milk to take my pills, as usual, I just had water. There was just enough milk for my cereal and hubby's. I was absolutely starving by lunchtime, so I think I really missed that milk. I wound up having a chicken sandwich and a scoop of ice cream for lunch, and then those horrible little eggs, so I really screwed up my plan today. Oh, well.

By the way, if anybody likes snack crackers, Triscuit has one with sweet potato, brown rice and sweet onion that is DELICIOUS, and very low sodium. It's especially good with Swiss cheese. I got some for a pot luck a couple of weeks ago and had not found them since, but today our grocery store had them. At that same store I noticed a display of spice grinders that looked interesting. One was black pepper, one was pink salt, and one was sea salt. Well, reading the labels I noticed that the sea salt label said it had ZERO sodium. I took it up to the counter and showed the clerk, but she wasn't interested. She said, well, we don't manufacture it. I pointed out that the label had the store's name printed on it as if they did manufacture it. I think they should care. If somebody on a low sodium diet took them at their word, it could be dangerous. Hubby says I read too many labels.

Tonight we might go to a new restaurant that just opened. There was a piece in the paper about it and it had lots of hubby's favorites. Hopefully they will have a nice salad for me. The owner was the head chef at our local country club for 16 years, so hopefully he knows what he's doing.

Here is today's joke of the day:

:laugh:

One day a genie appeared to a California man and offered to grant him one wish.

the man said:” I wish you'd build a bridge from here to Hawaii so I could drive there anytime"

The genie frowned" I don't know. It sounds like quite an undertaking,” he said. "Just think of the logistics. The supports required reaching the bottom of the ocean, the concrete, and the steel! Why don't you pick something else?"

The man thought for a while and then said, "Okay, I wish for a complete understanding of women- what they are thinking, why they cry. I wish I knew how to make a woman truly happy".

The genie was silent for a minute, then said "So how many lanes did you want on that bridge?"

:bigsmile:

Have a great day!

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I am beginning to wonder if the move to CT was right for us. I do enjoy being near my family and seeing my grand-kids, but I am not happy. My DH is not happy either. It's not the job, I just don't know what....... Guess my depression is getting the best of me...I am so tired all the time and all I want to do is sleep. No ambition, I have to force myself to do anything. I will have to talk to the doctor.

Thanks for listening.

Rita from CT

Rita, I am so sorry you're unhappy. I think that talking to your doctor is an excellent first step. Depression can be a nasty monster and pharmaceutical help is often a good idea. You had the move, which is a challenge, and then the worst weather in recent history. Hugs.

Katla
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,092 Member
    Options
    Good Afternoon,

Deedee:drinker:

Rita have you had your Vit.D levels checked. It was a brutal winter. Low Vit D can cause depression. Take care.:flowerforyou:

Sylvia cute joke.

Goal to do something healthy today, so I wake up to a healthier tomorrow.
    Off to go on a walk.

2014 word: contentment
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: you are hilarious. :happy: Hope your son feels better soon.

Had a very active day, which is great, because it allows me to eat more. Tomorrow won't be as active, so I'll have to be careful.

Wishing everyone a good night,

Cynthia
    :flowerforyou:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Well dinner is done and I'm sitting here wondering if I want a cup of decaf tea reading the tread.

Sylvia- I fell off the couch laughing reading your story about the eggs, so funny.

Dani came home from the vet yesterday, his knee is swollen( yes cats have knees, who knew) he may limp for the rest of his life. He aggravated an old alc injury. Not really anything they can do. The other cats hissed at him, he smelled like the vets. He looked so hurt when our big male wouldn't lick is head and pushed him away. They knocked him out to do the X-rays and I had to leave him. It broke my heart to see him in that cage. We slept on the couch last night, and I didn't sleep very well. This morning he gobbled up his pain pill no problem. My profile picture is Dani.

I only could eat half of my lunch today so I saved it and will eat it as my night snack. My blood sugar was 80 before my afternoon snack, and 97 before dinner. Not bad.

I put on the kettle and will have a cup of decaf tea. Stay strong all, Tigress in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    evening ladies~
    well went to work, didnt go see my DFIL today...I feel bad,but the DH will go tomorrow, I went to my grandaughter's dad's grandpa's wake tonight.. now Kyles mom is totally wacked, , she does drugs and drinks, she was even dealing when the boys where younger,so gram and pop helped raised them...
    Joanne was sitting right next to her mother,Kyle and Tracy and Tal lived with her for awhile,but it wasnt a good enviroment for them..
    Joanne was verbally and physically abuse to my daughter..
    so I gave my condolences to Shirley(gram) and I took a deep breath and gave Joanne a hug and said I was sorry for her loss, she started tearing up and said it meant the world to her, then I went and sat with Kyle, he showed me the pictures and explained who was who.I think he was happy I showed up too, that is who I did it for...
    I have to work until noon and then I have a bridal shower to go to.. sunday is grocery shopping, cooking and cleaning, and then it starts all over again...
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Allison you showed you were a strong and better person than others in going to the wake. Good for you.

Sylvia, I am so sorry I was responsible for you eating that awful tasting bag of chocolate. I guess I should say that I am glad you didn't like it that much. I don't want you to be dependent on them like I have such a dependency of.

It is beautiful out today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice night to go out and walk

Joyce, Indiana
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Oh girls you crack me up - the bridge to hawaii and the rolling eggs!!!!! LOLOLOLOLOL