WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2014

Options

Replies

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Hey, I saw a story on CBS news about a new smartphone app for alcoholics. It periodically asks them how they are doing and calls a counselor if the app is worried. It has a feature that sounds an alarm if the person gets too close to a tavern, or calls their sponsor or something. They said the results were promising, with fewer people going on binges and more overall abstinence.

So, I was thinking Fitness Pal could use some of those features. We could be walking down the mall and the phone's panic button would engage when we approached the food court, and call one of our 50+ buddies to talk us through it. Maybe it would use the Gps function to plan routes that avoided the ice cream shop. An alarm might sound if we got too close to the bakery in the supermarket. Siri could speak up and tell the clerk not to sell us that package of chocolate candy.

I must be goofy from lack of sleep. I have a few hours before my next duty, so I will take a nap if I can get Molly out of my bed.

Later.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: Thanks for your support on the medication issue, but I need to take a bit of responsibility for it. It is true that I didn’t know all of the facts, but I do now! I can cross that mistake off my to do list. :blushing: Congratulations on the muscle definition!:flowerforyou:

Patty in Cincinnati: I log all of my food on my phone, not my computer. It is always handy, even when I eat out. I haven’t tried this in any foreign countries. I’m not much of an international traveler. I suppose I would just keep lists and enter them later. It isn't likely to come up anytime soon.:flowerforyou:

Heather: I love how creative you are. I can’t even imagine making a christening cake. My mood is picking up because I’m out of crisis mode. I have my worries handled and will not be going bankrupt due to the new car. :tongue: I think of myself as adventurous, but it is not so. I’m not cowardly, but I am definitely a woman who likes stability and relishes the status quo. I enjoy an adventure now and then, though. I like to be the one who chooses the time and place.:glasses: :drinker:

Sylvia: You are a terrific grandmother and your little ones are lucky to have you. I’m sure your son is appreciative of the things you do.:flowerforyou:

This morning I need to go in for a fasting blood draw, then I need to call the hospital in Boise and find out about getting my medical records sent to my doctor. I can’t believe they didn’t already do it, since I gave them the information when I was there. :grumble:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Sowed the cavallo nero and the chard and put a net tunnel over the cav nero. Last year the cabbage white butterflies were a plague. Hope the net will fox them!:laugh: It's not really tall enough, but I will just have to pick the leaves younger!:tongue:
    Picked a mound of sorrel before we dug it up. I will freeze a lot in portion sizes for omelettes and fish sauce and tomorrow I am going to make a soup for lunch with sorrel, turkey stock and cannellini beans. I love its citrusy flavour.

Had some royalties this morning from a book I wrote in the 80s called "Well I Never". The royalties are from Italy. £50. :drinker: I also got a letter saying that the artificial flowers that I sent to DDIL for her birthdsy this week are delayed and won't be there until April 11th!!!!! That means she must think my present to her was only the one bunch of white spring flowers that got through the post. The more expensive tulips that were the main present haven't arrived yet.:frown: :embarassed: :embarassed: I texted her immediately, but she had already thanked me for the flowers. :embarassed: The good news is we are Skyping DGS on Saturday :drinker: :love: and she wants us to go up again to babysit after Easter. :heart: So that's twice in April. Very happy grandma!

Katla - I don't think of the christening cake as a creative endeavor, more of a 'following instructions' exercise. I am quite good at that if I apply myself and it is something I really want to do. Normally I am an impatient person, but I can do it if it is important enough to me. :tongue: Like you I suffer from control freakery, I like to decide the time, the place and the environment. Hence my phobia of unwanted music which can make life difficult.. I am getting better, but I have had to work on it.
    DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD.
    Going with the flow and letting it all hang out were never my favourite things.:laugh: :bigsmile: Nowdays I am a tiny bit more relaxed, but I have the luxury of having most things just the way I want them.:tongue:

Got to get on with the cooking.
    Love Heather in sunny and beautiful Hampshire UK
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Joyce – I leave my diary private as my challenge is to not lie to myself; and if I am not logging it then I am lying to me:noway: . And there are times I would be happy to show off my diary and times I would not! Yesterday was a not day; but there is always the next meal and sometimes for me if my calorie filled food is early in the day I can earn the calories and then the diary doesn’t look so bad. In general I am not a liar but food is an area I am in denial about – so I lie to myself.

Kayzoola – glad the brownies were a hit….

Sylvia – so creative I never thought about taking a pic of the scale!

Meg – That nurse should be fired or disciplined, with an attitude like hers no one would continue to try! So your “bad” choice was pretty darn good! I would not beat yourself up at all. But I would report that darn woman.

Michelle – that whole newcomer situation and ms. Control freak is a drag – and this is a volunteer gig; maybe ms. Control freak would like to be the hospitality chair and you could do something else…

Joyce – what a great massage deal!
    :happy:
    Patty – what if you write down dinner and log it the next morning? I have done that a couple of times when I went out and was not home till late – it works fine for me.

Heather – what is cavallo nero?

Cynthia - EXCELLENT on the muscle definition! And sending good thoughts for your doggie.

We are having a rainy spring; but Levi and I are walking anyway - me all bundled up and Levi just gets wet - and the parts that don't get wet from the rain he gets wet by walking through or sitting in every puddle he can find! he loves the water on his terms - not the bath so much - :laugh:

Well I spent way too much time reading here this am... got go get some work done !

Kim from N. CAL
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,311 Member
    Options
    Kim - cavallo nero is a type of kale, sometimes known as Tuscan kale. It has very long, dark green leaves. As it is in the cabbage family it is manna to the cabbage white butterflies!:laugh: :grumble:

Just received an email from my rental freeholders. I've read all the info they sent, but my head is in a spin. Tomorrow I am going to print it out and give it to DH to read. It drives me into panic mode.:cry::huh: Also I worry about how much it is going to cost.:sad: (I am applying for a lease extension) I feel like Scarlet O'Hara - I will think about it tomorrow! I have to do it if I am ever to get rid of this *!?÷% apartment. :sad:

Heather :cry: in Hampshire UK
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon, ladies! I got off to a late start again today. I guess I need to turn up the volume on my alarm some more. :ohwell: I hate those late starts for many reasons, but a major one is that it cuts down on my walking time. I had to work HARD last night to get in my 11,000 steps.

Meg - I absolutely think that you need to tell your nutrition person exactly how she made you feel. My gyno decided to do Doctors Without Borders so I had to find a new one after 25 years. :sad: (Our relationship last longer than my marriage!) I went to see one at the clinic where my PCP is and we did NOT get off to a good start. He gave me a huge and kind of nasty lecture on my weight--like I was too stupid to know that I was overweight--and I left his office and went on a binge because I was so upset. My PCP and my former gyno talked to me and reminded me how much better I would feel if I lost weight, but they were never nasty about it. When I went back to the gyno at the end of last year, he didn't even MENTION the weight I had lost (close to 80 pounds). I've pretty much decided that I will find a new one before I'm due for a physical again.

My weight has been stalled for a couple of months now. I suppose it is a plateau, but it's made me become even more diligent about logging every bite and using fewer of my exercise calories. My calorie allotment is 1400 per day and I usually earn over 500 in exercise calories but I am doing my best to stick to 1500 a day, period. May not be a good decision and may not be one I can live with, but I feel the need to become more disciplined--like I was when I was on 1200 a day.

Speaking of calories, I must find a time to go visit my parents soon! I haven't been up there since Christmas. Between work, church, my other trips out of town, the weather, and the boy child's medical and work schedules, I haven't found an opportunity to get there. I miss my grandnieces something fierce! Oh, the reason I put the visit and calories together is because my mother finds it simply impossible to cook healthy foods. I was eating scrambled eggs last time I was up there and thought I was doing good until she announced, "These eggs sure are better since I put butter in them!" :noway:

Okay, I need to get back to work. Hugs all around and good wishes for those having a rough time and for the sick furbabies.

Carol in sunny and slightly warmer NC
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Got my spring hair cut this morning!!!! Now I can breath. Charlie is a very poor sense of time so he thinks I got my last hair cut 6 weeks ago. I showed him pictures of me at Christmas with my short hair. So it has been about 4 months. I always keep it short but when I start having to use my curling iron on the back of my hair and also use hair spray then I know it's time to call Tina. She is a one person beauty shop and it's like going to a therapist when I go there. Charlie likes to drive me, yep he's bored, but I insist on me driving. She was located here in town in a salon but she has it in her own house now which is out of town. Actually it takes the same amount of time to get to her shop but the first one was in town that you have to wait through lots of stop lights or go up the interstate about 15 miles and then an off road. I really like it where she is now and so does she.

I feel like I am going to need a lot of prayer Sunday morning as I am singing in the choir. It was such an important thing in my life before MS invaded my life and then I let Charlie influence me and I just stayed home. I just got used to giving the excuse that I was having a bad day. But losing all the weight and having a new outlook on life and a new resolve has helped me get back in church again. But I feel that standing in that choir Sunday morning is going to take a lot of prayer and meditation ahead of time.

Joyce, Indiana
  • jfenner141
    jfenner141 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Michele in NC - How long I soak beans depends on what I am making and what else I have going on. The easiest is soaking overnight. I made red beans and rice recently and in that case, I brought the beans up to a boil, let them simmer for a bit (maybe an hour, maybe not that long) and then turned the heat off and let them soak covered for 3-4 hours, then checked them.

I use navy beans for baked beans and they bake in a low oven overnight. I generally soak them the quicker way (bring to a boil and continue to cook til the skin splits when you blow on a hot bean) before consigning them to the bean pot for baking.

Jill in western MA
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Hello All,
    That lunch time class kicked my butt. It was a very fast paced class since it's only a half hour, but I sure feel good now. I have three minutes now until I get out of here. Off to the Y and then home.

Joyce Indiana, You will do great Sunday, prayers with you.

Carol NC, Yes, go see your parents, I sure wish I could see mine again. Maybe you should pack some foods when you go, if it won’t hurt Mom’s feelings.

Kim, N Cal, I do need to write it down, that might work. I am also going to try to not eat after 7 pm, which is hard to do when I work until that time and later. I’ve just got to adjust.

Katla NW Oregon, I do have it on my phone, I just don’t want to deal with it in the evening, I know I have to get over it.

Sylvia, Good ideas!!

Michele NC, I do pretty good on the exercise but it’s hard when I work both jobs so I am trying to do some in the morning and on breaks at work

Patty, Cincinnati
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    OK Kim, I did it. My shameful diary now shows I ate a bag of Cardbury mini eggs, all 72 pieces of it. 727 calories over for the day. I guess I better hop on my bike. I would hate to break that 11th commandment!

Joyce, Indiana
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies.
    The pain isn`t as bad and swelling down.MRI on tues.Thanks for all the well wishes.
    Hoping,I just strained it.Had arthoscopic surgery 3 years ago on it.
    Rainy day here.
    HUGS:heart::heart:
    jane
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,647 Member
    Options
    Heather – thanks – I love kale and kale chips; but in CA it is a winter crop and gets Aphids by the boat load; so I have not tried to grow it. The neighbor grows curly kale – but she is washing aphids off every day! :noway:

Joyce – you’ll do fine in choir! Just make joyful song!:bigsmile:

Patty – I do the "not eating at night thing" different then most folks and it works for me with a pretty crazy schedule; and that is that there has to be at least 1 hour between food and bed time, and that hour has to be doing something, not dozing on the couch…
    Joyce – you go!!!! It’s a drag to have 727 chocolate calories in your log;:happy: but if it is motivation to get on the bike then it is way worth it. And maybe that will help you only do 300+ next time

Jane – hang in ! I hate MRI’s I get all claustrophobic and have to have drugs….. :frown:

Well, just a quick lunch break to check in... I was so disappointed I bought these granola bar things they were 80 cal so I knew they were not going to be large or great, but they were about 1/8 inch thick and about 2x2 inches... 80 calories per bite!! I may give the rest of the box away.

not much more to report.
    Kim in rainy N. CAL
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Ah, Joyce, the egglets...spawn of Satan.... :laugh:
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    SO glad I don't like those eggs but there's certainly something in the air today. I only have a few calories left, even after using my exercise calories and all I can think about is what to eat. I have plenty to distract me but the dreary weather, my mood and the fact that I'm tired are all pulling me to the dark side.

On a positive note, I have to say I'm really "liking", in a love/hate sort of way because Shaun T is 1/2 angel and 1/2 EVIL, this T25. I won't be on a scale until Sunday but I can clearly feel tightness and tone that I haven't felt in years....AFTER 4 DAYS!!!!! While I feel that I've been working some muscles I haven't in a while I haven't even needed Advil.

Working on getting stuff together for a Mom 2 Mom sale on Saturday. My boy is begging for an XBOX and I told him he could work for it...so we're selling his clothes, books, toys, etc. that he has grown out of along with 80ish other moms at a local school gym. I managed to fill a bag for trash collection while I was at it:devil: Poor child won't know what hit him when I'm done.

The plan is to also re-do his room a bit so all the purging and sorting is necessary to move forward with that.

MUST STAY AWAKE FOR SCANDAL TONIGHT but I'm just not sure how that will happen.

xo
    Gloria in Metro Detroit
  • Ginryl
    Ginryl Posts: 35
    Options
    Well I haven't been on since Monday & that was very brief. I was hoping to post then but just haven't had chance. I thought today was the next time I could catch up but it has been super busy here at work. Looks like it maybe Monday or Tuesday before I will have my next chance to read everything & get caught up.
    So hope everyone is doing good. My food has been pretty good but the walking is not so great :explode:
    My back is in full swing pain again :sad: . Maybe because extra weight of DGD or from not getting in my walking :huh:
    I will talk to you wonderful ladies later on
    Pennie in TX
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Good evening, got to rave about my afternoon snack! I read on one of the treads that someone loves to dip, and used fresh salsa with carrot chips(those sideways crinkle cut carrots). Well I had those and 4 tbsp of salsa with 1/4 th avocado. Oh yummy! With the every present 2 cups of beef broth. Let me tell you for 169 calories, I was in heaven. Next time DH wants Mex food I'm taking my carrot chips with me, or cucumber slices and dumping the corn chips. I'll stick with the corn tortillas for pizza's (the kind I make) and tacos. Tigress from GA
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to check in. My colanoscopy yesterday went well. Then I went to Kearney to be with my mom and sister and dad. I got there why he was still talking so got one last visit. He went to be with the Lord shortly after midnight. Still doesn't seem real. I am going to be gone for several days as going out to stay with my mom and sister and deal with things. Funeral is Saturday morning.
    God does have a sense of humor. A freind's mom passes away, we dated in high school. When his dad passed several years ago I was at my highest weight and he was into exercise and healthly eating. I went out to visitation this afternoon since I will not be here for the funeral. He has gained weight and neither one of knew the other. I had to ask someone where he was. Then to top it off when I get really stressed I lose my voice. I have no voice. Well he is hard of heading. Interesting trying to catch up. Take care and be sure and hug those you love.
    Blessed. Vicki GI NHE
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Good evening Ladies,

Stuffy nose turned into a cold. I rarely get colds!:grumble: Cooking on the new stove tonite. Keeping it simple, roasting veggies and sautéing salmon. We eat vegetarian one day, fish the next. Hubby eats chicken sometimes when we go out, I was a vegetarian for many years, added fish back a few years ago.

Have a wonderful evening everyone!

Hugs,

Cindy with a pink nose in OK. :heart:
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Vicki,

My condolences. So glad you got to see him before he passed.

Cindy in OK :sad:
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,770 Member
    Options
    Vicki ... will be praying for you and your family ...so glad you had a chance to talk to your Dad before he passed on.

Joyce ... enjoy using your gift on Sunday and remember who it is you're singing to ...the congregation, the pastor, not even the other choir members matter ... just focus on Him! You will be wonderful!

Trying to stay on track tonight ... have a couple hundred calories left and hope to use them wisely.

Beth