Increasing protein; especially at breakfast.

Options
13»

Replies

• aleggett321
    aleggett321 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    A boiled egg. You can cook them advance. You can even peel them in advance and store them in the fridge in a bowl of water.

Trader Joes and Costco both sell hard boiled eggs that are already peeled and ready to eat. Protein can't get much easier!
  • RamonaFr
    RamonaFr Posts: 112
    Options
    I like to eat leftover protein from dinner the night before -- throw a couple of cooked chicken legs or pork chops or meatballs into the refrigerator after dinner and eat them for breakfast. Yummmm.

I also like Belvita breakfast biscuits -- I don't know how much protein they have, but they taste good, are convenient and I don't get hungry for about 4 hours after eating them.
  • averytds
    averytds Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Don't let the kids see you making them or they might not eat them, but my kids love what we call Turkey Eggs.

I line 12 muffin tins with strips of turkey bacon. I grate up a yellow squash (approx 140g), mix with 3 eggs (approx 150g) and 4 servings of egg whites. You could just use whole eggs for all, but since I eat them too, I like the higher protein/lower calorie content I get with partial egg whites. I put about 1/4c in each tin and top with spinach leaves (eliminate if it'll put the kids off) and sometimes shredded cheese. Bake IDK, 350 for about 15-20 minutes. I'm usually making pancakes or something and just shove them in and take them out whenever I'm done with the other stuff. They keep great in the fridge for quick reheating. I have to hide any leftovers or they won't stick around.

Also try swapping out any white flour with whole wheat or the new Ultragrain white flour in your pancakes, muffins, etc.
  • Satiable
    Satiable Posts: 121
    Options
    ...it needs to be easy, preferably able to add to cereal.
    Custard! Seriously. Make a whole-egg custard ahead of time. Replace half of the milk you pour on your oats/cereal with this.* I usually don't bother adding honey to the custard, since most cereals are too sweet already.

http://www.kidspot.com.au/best-recipes/Easy-recipes+15/Egg-custard-recipe+3042.htm

Nutritionally it's the equivalent of adding a raw egg to the cereal bowl, but without the slippery-slimy consequences when you eat it.

*Note - add it to the oats AFTER cooking, not before, or you'll over-cook the custard and end up with teeny tiny lumps of egg all through your breakfast. Blech.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've just started using protein powder in milk. Simple and easy as well as fast! I get the chocolate flavored one and it's really good! 25g protein in the one I get!
  • HeyNikkita
    HeyNikkita Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    +1 Scrambled eggs and bacon - cut off the rind and you cut out lots of the fat in the bacon.

WHAT'S THE POINT OF BACON THEN?!
  • nebakanessa
    Options
    I stir an egg into my oatmeal as it is cooking, (stir quickly). It makes the oatmeal creamier too. (then I add banana, frozen raspberries, sliced almonds)