Coffee over food?

Options

Replies

• taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ED, I just really like coffee.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    I thought the point of replacing food with coffee for those with an ED was that they didn't have one primarily made of milk, which has a good number calories, but instead had one mostly made with water :).
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Once upon a time, Starbucks et al had protein powder as an optional extra for their lattes and such. I haven't checked for a while to see if that's still the case. If you're this committed to your lattes (and I don't blame you for that one bit), please consider investigating this option so your latte can come with some actual benefit toward your goal of a higher muscle-to-fat ratio.
  • beachlover317
    beachlover317 Posts: 2,848 Member
    Options

This has nothing to do with coffee. You're 5'3" and you want to weigh below 100 pounds? Start eating more and try and maintain what lean body mass you have left.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options

It gives the impression you might when you are trying to be underweight, don't eat enough, and post threads about thinspo. You have a few red flags is all.:flowerforyou:

You've gotten some good advice about building muscle to lower your BF %. :bigsmile: please focus on health
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Between this thread and the other thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214161-thinspiration

It's painfully obvious that OP does have an ED or is at least on the path to one.

Please seek professional help, for the sake of your health.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    Between this thread and the other thread: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1214161-thinspiration

It's painfully obvious that OP does have an ED or is at least on the path to one.

Nah, I just go through phases. I'll probably have forgotten about it by next week anyway.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    I thought the point of replacing food with coffee for those with an ED was that they didn't have one primarily made of milk, which has a good number calories, but instead had one mostly made with water :).
    Wouldn't that be like a coffee milkshake? Bleh. The right way to make an iced coffee is with 5/6 water to 1/6 nonfat milk and as much actual coffee as desired. Just saying.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I'm not clean on them myself. I was overweight until about 12, then I lost the weight but I still have a high body fat percentage. Basically, I'm thin but trying to get fit or at least lose weight to get rid of that percentage. I don't know a lot about pound measurements but at the moment I'm about 50 kg.

50 kg = 110 pounds
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    I'm not clean on them myself. I was overweight until about 12, then I lost the weight but I still have a high body fat percentage. Basically, I'm thin but trying to get fit or at least lose weight to get rid of that percentage. I don't know a lot about pound measurements but at the moment I'm about 50 kg.

50 kg = 110 pounds

Thanks.
  • CardiacLioness
    CardiacLioness Posts: 26 Member
    Options

Nah, I just go through phases. I'll probably have forgotten about it by next week anyway.

From personal experience: the phases come and go, sure. But then they stay longer and longer and longer until you finally decide to keep it around. Plus there's a reason you go through these phases in the first place? And it certainly isn't based out of, " I want to be healthy/healthier.'

I also love coffee, though. I would drink it black every single day if I could -- and for a while I did, to replace meals, though I wasn't doing this out of a ED mindset (most times), I just thought it was convenient. However, having anxiety & just being really very sensitive to caffeine (I either feel like I did a line and I am God, or like there is impending doom and nothing will ever be, or ever has been, okay.) I had to give it up, at least on a daily basis. I thought I'd gain a lot of weight because I'd have to eat a -real breakfast- but in fact I've LOST a lot of weight, especially in my stomach area. Coffee has a very strong impact on your adrenal glands = creates stress = creates flabby midsection. By switching to tea, not only have my muscles actually been able to come out a little bit more, but my hair is shinier, my skin is healthier, my eyes are brighter, I sleep better, etc. I owe ALL of this to not drinking as much coffee.

...So basically, coffee is a poison. But it is such a -good tasting- poison :(
  • CardiacLioness
    CardiacLioness Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also wanted to add one thing that might interest you, since you do want to be fitter: One of the reasons why I drank it so much was because it apparently is a very good pain reliever! A lot of athletes drink coffee for sore muscles.

However, coffee does leech and inhibit a lot of vitamin and minerals. Vitamin D and iron especially, which are very important for physical and mental health. Even decaf does this.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips everyone! I'm not 100 percent sure what protein actually does, but it's only a google search away. Conclusion: keep drinking coffee, eat more, strength training, protein.

Pretty much - If your weight is at a place where you are comfortable and the body fat is the issue, I would set my cals at maintenance rather than for a loss - the nutrients in proteins aid in building muscle - if you are set at maintenance you should be able to easily fit in your coffee treats. Personally I would track my calories more closely at maintenance because you will no longer be set to lose - depending on the amount of exercise I got I might try to stay a wee bit below for the first while.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    So I love coffee. I get a latte once a week at the local coffee shop (it's my treat hehe) and every other day have an iced latte or two (or three) that replace my "real food", save a bowl of oats in the morning, carrot sticks and a couple of plain scrambled eggs. I know it's bad because MFP keeps telling me that I'll be 40 kg in five weeks or whatever. But I kind of prefer my coffee. Anyone else feel the same?

I love my coffee too - yes sometimes more than my food, but coffee is not a substitute for food.

If MFP have expressed concerns - it's because they concerned for you!

I would suggest speaking to dietitian or nutritionist and getting an eating plan put into place that will suit you and be healthy.

Good luck with which ever path you go down.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    Each coffee only has about 30 calories, save my lattes ;)
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    Are you for real or are you just waiting for ppl to take the bait
    I see your posting about 'thinspiration' and not eating real food. either your doing it just to get a reaction or you have a problem.
    You better watch out that your irresponsible posting wont get reported!
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    So I love coffee. I get a latte once a week at the local coffee shop (it's my treat hehe) and every other day have an iced latte or two (or three) that replace my "real food", save a bowl of oats in the morning, carrot sticks and a couple of plain scrambled eggs. I know it's bad because MFP keeps telling me that I'll be 40 kg in five weeks or whatever. But I kind of prefer my coffee. Anyone else feel the same?

I love my coffee too - yes sometimes more than my food, but coffee is not a substitute for food.

If MFP have expressed concerns - it's because they concerned for you!

I would suggest speaking to dietitian or nutritionist and getting an eating plan put into place that will suit you and be healthy.

Good luck with which ever path you go down.

So I've been told, but honestly it seems more like they want to lecture me on my lifestyle and tell me about the dangers of EDs.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    Are you for real or are you just waiting for ppl to take the bait
    I see your posting about 'thinspiration' and not eating real food. either your doing it just to get a reaction or you have a problem.
    You better watch out that your irresponsible posting wont get reported!

I was just posting what's been on my mind. I wasn't the person who turned my other thread into a massive fight. If you look at the OP for both threads, neither of them were to get reactions. They were to ask questions.
  • Deathlylooks
    Options
    If that's the case then you may have to consider seeking medical advice
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be like a coffee milkshake? Bleh. The right way to make an iced coffee is with 5/6 water to 1/6 nonfat milk and as much actual coffee as desired. Just saying.
    I used to work at Starbucks some years ago - the only water we'd put in an iced latte would be the ice.

If you are replacing a meal with 30 calories of coffee, then I'm afraid that it DOES sound like eating disorder area to me. 30 calories in your drink as well as normal food, fair enough.
    But then, gain, if you otherwise meat your macro goals, fair enough.

People are telling you about the dangers of ED because they are genuinly worried - a lot of people don't realise they have them and do end up causing some longer term issues by not addressing them.