Coffee over food?

Options

Replies

• taekwondo_bitch
    taekwondo_bitch Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be like a coffee milkshake? Bleh. The right way to make an iced coffee is with 5/6 water to 1/6 nonfat milk and as much actual coffee as desired. Just saying.
    I used to work at Starbucks some years ago - the only water we'd put in an iced latte would be the ice.

If you are replacing a meal with 30 calories of coffee, then I'm afraid that it DOES sound like eating disorder area to me. 30 calories in your drink as well as normal food, fair enough.
    But then, gain, if you otherwise meat your macro goals, fair enough.

People are telling you about the dangers of ED because they are genuinly worried - a lot of people don't realise they have them and do end up causing some longer term issues by not addressing them.

I'm smart enough to know what my body needs. If I was feeling lightheaded or whatever, I'd know it was the lack of sugar, I'd eat a pop tart or something and go back to whatever I was doing.
  • Arranna1212
    Arranna1212 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't that be like a coffee milkshake? Bleh. The right way to make an iced coffee is with 5/6 water to 1/6 nonfat milk and as much actual coffee as desired. Just saying.
    I used to work at Starbucks some years ago - the only water we'd put in an iced latte would be the ice.

If you are replacing a meal with 30 calories of coffee, then I'm afraid that it DOES sound like eating disorder area to me. 30 calories in your drink as well as normal food, fair enough.

People are telling you about the dangers of ED because they are genuinly worried - a lot of people don't realise they have them and do end up causing some longer term issues by not addressing them.

I'm smart enough to know what my body needs. If I was feeling lightheaded or whatever, I'd know it was the lack of sugar, I'd eat a pop tart or something and go back to whatever I was doing.

You shouldn't be getting light headed in the first place if you truly knew what your body needed. You didn't even know what protein was for. If you keep denying what people are telling you then why are you still posting? Go ask a doctor if you're truly worried about it or take the advice on here and do it.
  • Deathlylooks
    Options

The fact that you let yourself get to the point of being lightheaded is the concern
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options

The fact that you let yourself get to the point of being lightheaded is the concern
    I'm 5"3.4 and 110 pounds, it doesn't take much.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options

You shouldn't be getting light headed in the first place if you truly knew what your body needed. You didn't even know what protein was for. If you keep denying what people are telling you then why are you still posting? Go ask a doctor if you're truly worried about it or take the advice on here and do it.
    Dunno if you can tell, but I dropped Home Ec and Health Sciences in year nine and did physics instead. That speaks for itself. I know nothing about nutrition.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options

I'm 5"3.4 and 110 pounds, it doesn't take much.

Okay I'm 5'3.5" and 116 lbs. Yes it does and you need help or in the least an adjustment of mindset. You should not be getting dizzy. Out of curiosity, how much are you eating? If you're replacing 30 calories of coffee for food, this just screams for help. I truly wish you the best and I hope you don't take offense to everyone's replies (I'm sure you are because it's personal) but think about what you're saying. Nothing you listed of food you eat seems substantial or sustainable. I wish you the best.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Coffee over Life, yo.

The the OP - check out Alan Aragon if you want some amazing nutritional advice. Doing your own research is the key, but if you wanna start with one of the best sources out there, he is your man. Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    It's an okay weight for me as I'm pretty short (5"3.4). But yeah, I'm trying to do more squats and whatnot because being toned would be awesome.

Have you thought about eating at a slight surplus and adding resistance training. This would be a 'clean bulk'. You'd add muscle and fat (dropping the fat later by cutting)

If the scale bothers you, you could set yourself a maximum weight then diet down again. Rinse and repeat.

As to the coffee question. If it's a latte, then you're actually hitting your macros quite well (milk is great - no fibre in there though) I wouldn't be averse to replacing the odd meal with a milky coffee but I certainly couldn't drink it all day instead of food.

I sometimes enjoy a protein coffee, also - vanilla whey made with milk then add coffee - vanilla latte :)
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    I think the advice to up your calories to maintenance, get enough protein, and start a lifting program is spot on for your stated goals.

A number of people have mentioned concerns about you being on the path to an ED. We don't know you or your life that well, but you do show a lot of the signs. I hope you can take it as thoughtful concern rather than an attack. Take a hard look at your motivations and actions. Talk to a doctor or qualified counselor.

This blog has links to help if you need it.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/ihad/view/eating-disorders-a-place-for-help-623013
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    It's an okay weight for me as I'm pretty short (5"3.4). But yeah, I'm trying to do more squats and whatnot because being toned would be awesome.

Have you thought about eating at a slight surplus and adding resistance training. This would be a 'clean bulk'. You'd add muscle and fat (dropping the fat later by cutting)

If the scale bothers you, you could set yourself a maximum weight then diet down again. Rinse and repeat.

As to the coffee question. If it's a latte, then you're actually hitting your macros quite well (milk is great - no fibre in there though) I wouldn't be averse to replacing the odd meal with a milky coffee but I certainly couldn't drink it all day instead of food.

I sometimes enjoy a protein coffee, also - vanilla whey made with milk then add coffee - vanilla latte :)

Lattes are hard to beat. Unfortunately it's expensive which is why it's a once a week thing.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options
    I don't have an ED, I just really like coffee.
    Yet star bucks scares you...........seriously?
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    I don't have an ED, I just really like coffee.
    Yet star bucks scares you...........seriously?
    It was a joke, it "scares" me because it's blatant consumerism, and full of sugar and calories. That being said, they do treat their staff well. My dorm mate works there.
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    drink your coffee... you might want to try to add some protein powder to it, but to get rid of stored fat and get muscle you need to workout and increase your calories using more protein. google it, you'll find how important it is.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    drink your coffee... you might want to try to add some protein powder to it, but to get rid of stored fat and get muscle you need to workout and increase your calories using more protein. google it, you'll find how important it is.
    I didn't need someone to convince me to continue drinking coffee, lol.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    But the point is, I'm going to be ok regardless of anything that happens here.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Just read some of the OP's comments on the cheat meal thread - not sure if this is some kind of a wind up.

Either way OP - get some help!
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    Just read some of the OP's comments on the cheat meal thread - not sure if this is some kind of a wind up.

Either way OP - get some help!
    Look at the original post - it's no wind up
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    That being said, they do treat their staff well. My dorm mate works there.
    Not when I worked there. Ok, it wasn't 0 hour contracts, but you were expected to work 40 hours while contracted for 32.
    Then they'd try and cut back hours where possible. So you had to work longer if they needed you, but you got less holiday pay and often worked shorter shifts - for those with a good bit to travel, it could make quite a difference.
    Then there was the manager (who was supposed to be friends with the district manager) who got pushed so far she had a mental breakdown.
    That they encourage quick close-downs to save pay, then expect the rubbish and dried milk to magically disappear over night.
    That they're quite happy for you to have more responsibility - but to get properly recognised for that... another thing.

Of course 'YMMV' with area.

Anyway... when you say you're doing squats, is this with weight?
    Again, my normal suggestions apply:
    A routine like starting strength/strong lifts NROLW.
    1g/lb of body weight protein.
    Seeing that you mention morning running elsewhere, a lot of what you mention sounds like it's quite likely to lead to muscle as well as fat loss.
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,463 Member
    Options
    But the point is, I'm going to be ok regardless of anything that happens here.

If you continue eating 600 calories a day, you won't. You won't. You won't.

Please reconsider what you are doing and talk to someone who can help.
  • taekwondo_bitch
    Options
    That being said, they do treat their staff well. My dorm mate works there.
    Not when I worked there. Ok, it wasn't 0 hour contracts, but you were expected to work 40 hours while contracted for 32.
    Then they'd try and cut back hours where possible. So you had to work longer if they needed you, but you got less holiday pay and often worked shorter shifts - for those with a good bit to travel, it could make quite a difference.
    Then there was the manager (who was supposed to be friends with the district manager) who got pushed so far she had a mental breakdown.
    That they encourage quick close-downs to save pay, then expect the rubbish and dried milk to magically disappear over night.
    That they're quite happy for you to have more responsibility - but to get properly recognised for that... another thing.

Of course 'YMMV' with area.

Anyway... when you say you're doing squats, is this with weight?
    Again, my normal suggestions apply:
    A routine like starting strength/strong lifts NROLW.
    1g/lb of body weight protein.
    Seeing that you mention morning running elsewhere, a lot of what you mention sounds like it's quite likely to lead to muscle as well as fat loss.
    No, I do it with a rubber strip that stretches out like elastic. There's probably a name for it. I use it to do bicep curls while I squat.