Todays my first day BUT....

Options
Hey guys, I need a little advice here.
I just signed up here yesterday and I am just INLOVE with this site. The support the people it really feels like a very welcoming place.

I am starting today at 21 years old 400 pounds.
I decided yesterday enough is enough. I am Climbing on my weight , i am to young to be this morbidly obese. I have been morbidly obese all of my life, this will be the hardest battle I have fought.

I do my shopping every month at the end of the month for the following month. Since that is when the paycheck comes in.
So I did all of my grocery shopping for this month but not knowing I was going to start with my weight loss today I have all of this junky food! I dont want to wait until the end of the month to start my weight loss just because my food is bad.

This morning I got to sleep in so I did not have breakfast.
but for lunch usualllly, i would have had 3 sandwiches, chips and some cookies and juice.
But this morning I did 1 sandwich with liverworst and a orange/ i drank 1 glass of water before eating and allowed my self 1 cup of milk.

My question is , how do I continue (able to start) my weight loss with loads of noodles, breads, chips and crappy things in my house.

also another question, what motivates you guys at times to keep going. what kind of excercise do you do?
i know weight loss is a slow thing since it was not put on over night but when will i start to see changes in my body, i am mainly doing this for my health! i want to be healthy, and i want to have children.

Thanks guys <3

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    How many calories does MFP tell you to eat?

All of the food you have should have labels, right? So log the food you eat, but stay below the calorie goal that you've set. If you eat at a deficit, you'll start to lose. No matter what food it is.

Good luck!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    it's not what you eat...it's how much you eat.

don't view food as "crappy" it's not...it is a fuel for your body.

All food has some value. You will find some people here who say carbs are bad, sugar is bad, fat is bad...imho none of it's bad.

This morning I am having fruit loops with milk and toast with butter for my breakfast.

Just follow a reasonable calorie deficet...in other words don't starve yourself...eat food but be in that deficet that you are given. Log everything you eat and if possible get a food scale and weigh your food as measuring doesn't cut it.

If you want to exercise do so for health and fitness and log it and eat back some of those calories as MFP is usually too high.

I lift weights for my exercise but it's because I love being strong...I however started with short walks...20mins, then did Wii dance for 20mins when it got too cold, then I did some bodyweight challenages, then moved to videos (Jillian Michael's 30 day shred) then moved to weight lifting.

There are tonnes of videos online that are short (fitnessblender.com) if you want to exercise, lots of sites with bodyweight exercises but find something you love and do that regardless what it is.

Motivation for me is all internal...I just want it.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You lose weight by eating at a deficit. Period. Use this month to work on your logging and learning appropriate portions.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    First I would suggest reading this post: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

You can eat what you had been eating, just less of it. Track your food and start researching healthier options so you can start making a shopping list for next month. Eating healthier options like fruits, veggies, lean protein sources, and healthy fats can help you feel better, but isn't necessary to start. Small changes in your habits will help you make long term changes. You don't need to give up things you enjoy, unless you find that they trigger poor decisions that lead you to go over calorie goal repeatedly.

It can be hard to stay motivated at times, but the community here is great for support. Changes will come at different rates for different people. I would HIGHLY suggest taking some "starting" photos and then do progress pics every month or so. Sometimes the scale doesn't do what you think it should, but the progress can be seen in the photos. It is difficult to see the changes just looking at yourself in a mirror. Side by side photos really highlight the changes.

Welcome to MFP and congratulations on taking the first steps!
  • sprintto50
    sprintto50 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I am glad to see you added a picture. I saw your post yesterday when you started. Maybe give the actual junk food, the chips and candy away except for a bit that you can portion out for a little treat every day or two. There is nothing wrong with noodles, etc. It is the quantity that gets you.

As for exercise, I mentioned that walking is great, especially when you are starting a program. Just start walking everyday. Build on it. If you are a busy student, get up a bit earlier. It's hard but it gets to be habit. Walk to class, etc. I lost a lot of weight when I was younger just walking every night after dinner.

Keep on the boards and make some friends. The community here is really important. I will send you a friend request.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You've started very well. There's no bad food. Use your food... just eat less of it. Heck you might not even need to just eat one sandwich... but only 2 instead of 3.

Just set a goal with MFP, weigh and log everything you eat, and you'll see you don't have to starve yourself to lose weight... just eat less.
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    First, congratulations on taking this huge step towards taking care of your body.

Second, you can eat the foods you have as long as you stick to your calorie goal and you will lose weight.

Third, find exercise that you enjoy and you will want to stick with it. What keeps me going is seeing all of my friends logging their exercise every day. Read the success stories on here. You'll find some that push you to keep going or go even harder.

Good luck!!
  • leapsonbounds
    leapsonbounds Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    If you have your receipt, why don't you return unopened foods to the store where you bought them...things like chips, packaged cookies, etc., if they may be a trigger for you. Other than that I agree with everyone else - eat what you want in smaller portions. Weight/measure your food so you know exactly how much you're eating. Best of luck! You took the hardest step which is the first one.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    There is your motivation... the desire to have children. The desire to have health.
    For me, what keeps me going is the feeling of being fit and healthy. Granted, I have never been overweight, but I have been various other things including an anorexic, bulimic and a binge eater. Now my goal is health and strength.
    For now, a calorie cut will suffice for you. Just getting used to the idea of logging all your food to find out what, exactly, you have been eating calorie wise. And then you can get in some more healthy foods when you next do a shop, and use the time between now and then, to get ideas for foods to buy. I am sure you will be able to get plenty of inspiration for your next shopping list. Heck, I could give you a good list :)

The main thing, is to continue life while losing weight, as it will be a long journey for you and you cannot let it become your sole focus to the exclusion of all else. View it as a long term project, if that helps. And accept that you will slip up, get days where you go over your calorie goal, get days where you slide off the back of the wagon...and be determined to never see these days as failiures. That way you can simply brush yourself off, and carry on with the plan.

Exercise wise, swimming and walking are good things to start off with, then as you lose weight, you can look into other things. I would stress that weight/resistance training are highly recommended as soon as you feel able to add those in. They will ensure you retain as much muscle as possible while losing weight so that you do not end up at a lower bodyweight, but with a high bodyfat% still.

Read the Success Stories here whenever you feel yourself wanting to give up on it all.
    Gather a good set of friends here for motivation and encouragement. Log everyday. Make sure to weigh all food and drink for accuracy.

And feel free to add me for encouragement and support. :)
  • Romyarts2014
    Romyarts2014 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    WOW. I did not think of it that way. I Always thought cutting out breads, pastas, sugars etc was a definte need to lose weight.
    it says im supposed to be eating around 2678 calories or so. But I think thats a bunch.

I am so shocked about the amount of calories I have been eating, i would have had 3 times as much plus a snack already equalling to about a good 3000 calories and thats just the first meal, makes me just feel absloutley sick knowing I do this to my body, on top of that I am a smoker. My mom, my grandma were all extremely overweight and I am going to stop the tradition.

What are foods that I could put on my next shopping list?
    maybe quick meals i can make for the month?
    i heard nuts, lean meats (chicken, fish, Turkey etc)..

I bought a good amount of chocolate pudding, yogurts and stuff of that nature.
    So should I just eat half of 1 a day. ? thanks so much for everyones support
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    If MFP gave you that calorie goal, you want to try to come close to it every day. It may seem like a lot, but that is the amount of calories your body needs to live right now. It will be fine if you eat a full serving of the pudding or yogurt.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

You want to try to get filling, lower calorie foods, and a lot of protein - Greek yogurt, nuts, cheese, lean meat, fish, veggies and fruit (I don't eat that much fruit though). You can definitely eat one chocolate pudding or yogurt a day, no problem though... as long as it fits in your calories and you're not too hungry.

I agree with returning some stuff if you're not sure you'll be able to resist though. But yes... I ate horribly before I started this too.
  • bmhorton12
    bmhorton12 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I'm over 300 lbs. and just finished my first week. I was also given a lot of calories to start. I ate close to the limit but under everyday this week. I walked for 30 minutes 3 times, and made sure I drank lots of water. I lost weight. If I can do it so can you!! :) Just take it a day at a time and make sure you log everything. Good luck!!
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    You really can eat anything...in reasonable amounts. The trick is in learning what a real portion size is. So get a food scale, use it and measuring cups and be brutally honest with logging what you eat.
    Your calorie limit as set is probably fine for you right now, at the weight you're starting at. As you lose, you will need to lower it as you go, but I think you're good to start.
    Be patient with yourself, make good food choices, move more...and you can do this!
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    WOW. I did not think of it that way. I Always thought cutting out breads, pastas, sugars etc was a definte need to lose weight.
    it says im supposed to be eating around 2678 calories or so. But I think thats a bunch.

I am so shocked about the amount of calories I have been eating, i would have had 3 times as much plus a snack already equalling to about a good 3000 calories and thats just the first meal, makes me just feel absloutley sick knowing I do this to my body, on top of that I am a smoker. My mom, my grandma were all extremely overweight and I am going to stop the tradition.

I did this too. Had lots of junk food still in the house when I made the decision to try to lose weight.

Your calorie requirement will drop as you lose weight--right now you can eat more because you're heavier. Besides, you said it yourself, you were eating three times that before. You can definitely lose on MFPs suggestions.

You've already gotten great advice, you don't have to get rid of the food (I didn't), just eat less than you would have before. Also, I still eat bread (every day), pasta, etc. The quickest way for me to personally burn out and fail is if I had to give up the things that I like to eat. I tried low carb once years ago, was miserable as I lost 30 pounds, and happy as a fat clam as I gained it all back. :tongue:

I also suggest a food scale--you can get one pretty cheaply at Walmart or on Amazon. Weigh things like cereal, nuts, etc. I also weigh my yogurt because it comes in the larger container. Weighing is more accurate than using measuring cups.

Also, you can treat yourself and stay within your goals. I have a Skinny Cow ice cream every day (except for when I have a 'cheat' dinner because then I'm too full...).

What keeps me motivated is how much better I feel, not just physically, but about myself. I feel happier in my skin, I don't have the aches and pains like I had before, I sleep better, I actually love going clothes shopping (before it usually ended in tears...), and I really enjoy how I can do physical activities now that I couldn't before (heck, I'm training for a half marathon--could have knocked me over with a feather if you had told me that last year at this time!).

You have to remember that this is a long term process; patience is not my strong suit, so I do have to remind myself of this frequently. I also think its less motivation, and more commitment. I've made a commitment to myself to be healthy and I'm determined to keep that commitment, otherwise I've lied to myself and that's not acceptable in my book. :smile:

You've taken the first step, and like the cliché says, its the hardest. Stick around and you'll do great! :flowerforyou: Feel free to send a friend request!
  • sargessexyone
    sargessexyone Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I was going to reply but after reading the responses I realized everything had already been said. You have taken the first step and that is HUGE. I will tell you this is a lifelong process that won't always be easy but it will be so worth it.

I have been on my journey for over 2 yrs. I got stuck and it has actually taken me 1 yr to get off the last 25 lbs. The things that keep me going are my wife, my kids, my MFP friends, the NSV's (non scale victories). My first was when I realized my stomach didn't touch the steering wheel when I drove ;)

Another thing I realized is that it's people like you that keep me motivated. I see you just starting out and I want/hope to be an inspiration for people, so I keep going.

I am sending a friend request. You are a beautiful girl and I would very much like to help in any way I can.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone has already said what I would have told you :)

I by no means eat 100% clean and I've lost about 75 lbs. (5 lbs before I found this awesome site) I will say having supportive and active friends on here has been a huge help. Some of my friends are working towards their goals and some have met them. Either way it's motivational to see my friends activity daily. That makes me want to get off my butt and do something. This journey isn't always easy but it is always worth it! Like you, most of the woman in my family are over weight and I refuse to use that as an excuse for myself. I will break the cycle and hopefully motivate my family on the way.
    For extra motivation check out the success stories forums! It's amazing the transformations people have succeeded at!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    You've gotten some great advice already. Just a couple of thoughts to add:

Motivation has to come from within. Sounds like you've got that. But there are a few tricks that are useful. If you're at your daily calorie limit and you're tempted to eat more, think about how you'll feel tomorrow, and about your long-term goal. Sometimes people mistake thirst for hunger: if you're hungry between meals, drink a glass of water and wait a few minutes. I like to keep celery and pickles around for between-meal snacking, since they don't have many calories and they're filling. (I still log them, though!)

My motivation for losing weight this time around is complex: partly because my blood pressure and cholesterol were getting high, partly because I ride my bike a lot and it's easier to climb hills without excess weight, and partly vanity. I think having several reasons makes it easier to keep going.

As for exercise, the best advice is to find something you like. Otherwise it's too easy to find excuses not to do it. I was a fat, lazy kid, other than occasional walks and hikes, but as an adult I found to my surprise that I really like cycling, swimming, Nordic skiing, and running, and I can tolerate workouts on stationary cycles (when it's too dark or icky outside) and rowing machines. Try a range of things. Walking is fine.

And seconding what others have said about food. Eat what you have, but keep to your limits. If you are adventurous and like to cook, try throwing some homemade vegan food into the mix:
    http://theppk.com/

You can find unhealthy vegan food (especially when people try to make it resemble meat and dairy), but it's generally pretty good for you, and it can be tasty.

A few other simple ideas: Hoppin' John is a healthy Southern dish (you can make it with canned black-eyed peas if you want).
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Hoppin-John-241198

Soups are good when you're losing weight, because they fill you up - this African curried chickpea soup is amazing; there are a lot of ingredients, but it's not really hard to make, and it freezes well (I usually make a double batch, then freeze most of it in single-serving containers).
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/African-Curried-Coconut-Soup-with-Chickpeas-352349

Another good quick meal idea: a frittata or omelette (Epicurious has many options). Eggs get a bad rap, but 1 large egg has only 75 calories or so and is very filling. A 3-egg omelette with veggies and diced ham or turkey makes a satisfying meal.

Good luck with your journey!
  • wordsandmusic51
    wordsandmusic51 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I agree with what the others have said. Focus on eating LESS, try to make the best choices, smaller portions, and work on exercise and tracking your food intake. The changes you have already made will be progress, and next month you can really have a good handle on what foods to shop for to have even better losses. :) Good luck!
    oh, and someone mentioned keeping pickles on hand. Pickles are good, but be careful of the sodium, it is really high in most pickles. Celery and hummus are my go to snacks. :)
  • melissamarah
    melissamarah Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Hi there!

First off, I am definitely not an expert. I've been working on this since mid-January. I started really slowly, just trying to make the commitment of logging everything I ate. And yes, that means the garbage I ate, too. For instance, I'm a nanny, and yesterday was my charge's 5th birthday. My boss got WAY too much pizza, so she sent me home with entire pepperoni pizza. And yes, I ate 4 slices last night. And I logged it.

One thing that has helped me this time around (yeah, this isn't my first time trying to lose weight) is having friends on here.

I'd say start small. Spend this month logging in every day and logging your food. Check the message boards, and try to learn as much as possible about what you'll want to buy next month.

Good luck!