Ok to count other drinks towards water goal?

Options

Replies

• ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*
  • Achrya
    Options
    Haha sorry, i just edited, she* is my doctor*

But the sugars in Kool-Aid (or other mix) and would probably defeat the purpose of drinking water.
    When I use water/ice for my smoothies, the addition of the ingredients in my smoothies dont defeat the purpose of water, but i don't usually count it either as a glass of water.
    I have a huge 32oz sippy cup and just make sure i have at least two of those during the day of watrr alone.

But that was my doctor's view regarding coffee, and thart's my opinion of other mixes.

What exactly do you think it is that sugar does to water to make it not water?
  • Ophidion
    Ophidion Posts: 2,065 Member
    Options
    mjscxpx.png
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    So this whole time Gatorade has been selling us a bill of goods!! How dare they claim there product is full of electrolyte and hydrates you!! Oh the Shame!!! lol

OP count your water whether it be by itself, in coffee, in kool aid, in tea, in gatorade, etc, etc....... It is still water anyway you look at it..... Best of Luck
  • ashleyblossom1
    ashleyblossom1 Posts: 699 Member
    Options

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options

Yep. Well, except that I actually like water, so I drink it. Well, and it doesn't have the calories in it that soda does (I'd rather save those for chocolate, priorities people).
  • Lettee4
    Lettee4 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    everyone always fights about this topic. i personally think of tea, coffee and cordial as counting towards water. but i try and drink 2 litres of plain water a day also.

if i drink a litre of cordial how much water have i drank?
    if i shot a shotglass of straight cordial and then drink a litre of water how much water have i drank?
  • JenGlam7
    JenGlam7 Posts: 10
    Options
    I only count pure water as water. I definitely would not count coffee, tea, or other caffeinated beverages since they do the opposite of water, and dehydrate you.

very much agreed :)
  • Achrya
    Options

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.

Soda all the time? That's what I said? That's what people are going to take from what I said? And even if that is what people take from my comments...it doesn't make me wrong so...what's your point, exactly?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

I don't see anywhere where she told anyone to do that. She informed that liquid is liquid. She never said to drink soda all the time.

But please. Continue to prove your point by twisting things about. It's getting interesting.
  • susie3g
    susie3g Posts: 267
    Options
    Personally, I don't log coffee, soda, milk, or juice as water. However, I do log my 16 oz. bottles of water that also contain sugar-free flavored drink mixes. My coffee, soda, milk, and juice all contain a good bit of calories. My sugar free lemonade water contains 10 calories. I log it as water, and I log the 10 calorie drink mix, also.

ETA: I also log my iced tea as water since I sweeten it with Splenda and not sugar. :)
  • Otterluv
    Options

I'm sorry, I'm not getting what your issue is? If you are counting calories, it would be tough to hit your calorie and macro goals while drinking lots and lots of regular soda. But, if you are drinking diet soda than really there is no problem. Have at it.

Hell, if you can hit your calorie and macro goals only drinking regular soda and nothing else, be my guest.
  • Achrya
    Options

Yep. Well, except that I actually like water, so I drink it. Well, and it doesn't have the calories in it that soda does (I'd rather save those for chocolate, priorities people).

I drink diet soda, because calories are for ice cream.

I did have 3 frozen strawberry lemonades today. 570 calories went poof; there was no ice cream this day lol.

AND I logged each one as a glass of water. They were 20 ounces each (but some of that is sugar and flavoring and fruit), so I think I can assume 8 ounces of actual water in each.
  • Achrya
    Options
    I only count pure water as water. I definitely would not count coffee, tea, or other caffeinated beverages since they do the opposite of water, and dehydrate you.

Awkward, considering that's not true at all.
  • Otterluv
    Options

I drink diet soda, because calories are for ice cream.

I did have 3 frozen strawberry lemonades today. 570 calories went poof; there was no ice cream this day lol.

I wish that I could stand the taste of diet soda. But, my stupid bitter taster issue messes it all up. Well, except for Splenda, which is okay but it upsets my stomach big time.

SABOTAGE!!!
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options

Nope, I used to think this, but it's not true....
    COFFEE DOES NOT DEHYDRATE YOU... It just hydrates your marginally less effectively... read a study on this it said it's okay to count coffee as water .

Will go find the link and hit edit to paste it here

Here you go.

MAYO CLINIC SAYS: (http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661)
    Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

HUFFINGTON POST SITES PENNSYLVANIA UNIVERSITY & LA TROBE UNIVERSITY STUDIES
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/06/07/hydration-tea-coffee-lettuce-hydration-better-water_n_1577105.html
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    kool_aid_man_caught_in_the_act_by_therealsneakers-d342yc8_zps2446d943.jpg
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Wait. Hold on. This thread is missing something. Oh yes.

Tuna Brownies.

Okay. Carry on.