Ok to count other drinks towards water goal?

Options

Replies

• meca85
    meca85 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    When I say "defeat the purpose" I am referring to you the extra sugars and calories you are drinking.

For example- I will happily take SmartWater which is distilled water with electrolytes over Gatorade which also has electrolytes but also tons.of sugar and dyes.

I never said that the water disappears if you add something to it, no matter what it will always be in that liquid form. What I am saying is that IF you are watching what you're eating and counting calories (i don't know if OP is)- for some it's easy and for some it is harder. You're always better off going for a simpler version of water.
    For example at Applebee's today I could have had a frozen lemonade for ~300calories, the regular lemonade for ~150 calories, or plain water for 0calories, I opted for just plain water and I was totally fine with it.

Again my perspective. If you have something working for you to meet your goals, great!
    This approach has worked for me in the past and so I will continue with it as I start cleaning up my eating habits.
  • magerum
    magerum Posts: 12,589 Member
    Options
    So if I mix something in my water it changes properties, got it. Solid, gas, plasma? Or are we talking wizardry? Maybe alchemy?
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*

Yep. Well, except that I actually like water, so I drink it. Well, and it doesn't have the calories in it that soda does (I'd rather save those for chocolate, priorities people).

I drink diet soda, because calories are for ice cream.

I did have 3 frozen strawberry lemonades today. 570 calories went poof; there was no ice cream this day lol.

I wish that I could stand the taste of diet soda. But, my stupid bitter taster issue messes it all up. Well, except for Splenda, which is okay but it upsets my stomach big time.

SABOTAGE!!!

I don't know what I would do if I couldn't do diet soda...well I guess I'd work in a can of the real stuff a day or something.

Nothing fixes my late night sweet tooth like a frosty diet ginger ale. Love it.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    Options
    So if I mix something in my water it changes properties, got it. Solid, gas, plasma? Or are we talking wizardry? Maybe alchemy?

Only with an equivalent exchange, let's not get crazy.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

^Yeah. And who knows what that equivalent property will end up being. Could be an arm. Could be a whole body.

(I know Otter and Chelle will probably know what I'm referring to. >.>)
  • Achrya
    Options
    When I say "defeat the purpose" I am referring to you the extra sugars and calories you are drinking.

For example- I will happily take SmartWater which is distilled water with electrolytes over Gatorade which also has electrolytes but also tons.of sugar and dyes.

I never said that the water disappears if you add something to it, no matter what it will always be in that liquid form. What I am saying is that IF you are watching what you're eating and counting calories (i don't know if OP is)- for some it's easy and for some it is harder. You're always better off going for a simpler version of water.
    For example at Applebee's today I could have had a frozen lemonade for ~300calories, the regular lemonade for ~150 calories, or plain water for 0calories, I opted for just plain water and I was totally fine with it.

Again my perspective. If you have something working for you to meet your goals, great!
    This approach has worked for me in the past and so I will continue with it as I start cleaning up my eating habits.

I woulda went with the frozen lemonade.
  • Achrya
    Options

^Yeah. And who knows what that equivalent property will end up being. Could be an arm. Could be a whole body.

fullmetal-1.jpg?w=604&h=483
  • PikaKnight
    Options

fullmetal-1.jpg?w=604&h=483

Aye Sir!

tumblr_m7kxwzmX8x1qiq1olo1_500.gif
  • Otterluv
    Options
    Qv3KtBp.gif

But, if you mess up you can get cool arm replacements which you can then do all sorts of useful stuff with.
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, for some reason this topic came up regarding decaf coffee.
    And she explained that in order for me to drink 1 cup of coffee, I would have to drink 2 cups (twice the amount) of pure water to stay properly hydrated as coffee dehydrates you.

So if your watching what you're eating and exercising, coffee would just counteract your effort and your better off drinking plain water or infused water.

Your body is composed of water of and needs it, "water is water no matter what you mix in it" is just silly because if I mix Kool-Aid i've just negated the benefit of water by adding sugar and other junk and therefore my body and organs won't benefit from "water"

...oh.

Doctor's are notoriously poorly educated in the field of nutrition.
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Qv3KtBp.gif

But, if you mess up you can get cool arm replacements which you can then do all sorts of useful stuff with.

^True story...ish.
  • Otterluv
    Options

^True story...ish.

Okay, I glossed over a few parts here and there. Still, silver linings and all that jazz.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    So what you guys are saying is if I drink soda instead of water I get a new, cool arm?
  • Achrya
    Options
    Qv3KtBp.gif

Well I know what I'm watching tonight.
  • mom2kpr
    mom2kpr Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    If you really want to, you can also count broth based soups toward your water. The whole 8 8 oz of water a day is not true. Yes water is a healthy choice & it is probably good to get some plain wayer everyday. But as long as you stay hydraded all day all you need is liquids. Even liquids with calorie - such as milk - will hydrate you. Just remember to count the calories. With that said, the more plain water I drink, the more I crave plain water. But I do get bored withit sometimes & use Mio or have tea.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    When I was pregnant, for some reason this topic came up regarding decaf coffee.
    And she explained that in order for me to drink 1 cup of coffee, I would have to drink 2 cups (twice the amount) of pure water to stay properly hydrated as coffee dehydrates you.

So if your watching what you're eating and exercising, coffee would just counteract your effort and your better off drinking plain water or infused water.

Your body is composed of water of and needs it, "water is water no matter what you mix in it" is just silly because if I mix Kool-Aid i've just negated the benefit of water by adding sugar and other junk and therefore my body and organs won't benefit from "water"

Who is "she"? And no..lmao. Kool aid doesn't negate anything. A substance when mixed with water doesn't just evaporate the water out magically just because it got mixed in.

No this is actually true.

I f you drink the water and have the kool aid powder separately you can count the water.
    Together it isn't water. It's kool aid. Entropy shows you you can't separate the kool aid molecules afterwards.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I get water is a part of these things ...it just seems silly to me to count it as pure water :S

Because...? If I measure out two cups of water it's still two cups of water no matter what I mix in. It's just flavored.

I mean, if I eat protein powder and chase it with water that's fine to count but if I mix them in a cup it doesn't count? Why?

So you are pretty much saying everything that has water in it counts? So since soda is carbonated water with high fructose corn syrup in it,, it still counts as water? Juice with water in it is water. So theoretically you never really have to drink plain water cause everything that is liquid is water?...... ok thanks for the info :huh:

Yes. I sometimes don't drink actual water for days but my urine remains the same pale yellow/near clear color it is when I drink five bottles of water, which means I am no less hydrated while not drinking actual 'water'. You also get hydration from food, btw, but that's understandably harder to quantify than the water in a cup of coffee.

Always happy to spread some information around. *sips ginger ale*

So you pretty much just told everyone they never have to drink pure water again.... Soda all the time. Good luck with that.

No, they did not.

Also, I never drink 'pure' water.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Wait. Hold on. This thread is missing something. Oh yes.

Tuna Brownies.

Okay. Carry on.

:flowerforyou:
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    In for more FMA references.