Is maintaining weight, just as hard as losing weight?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,203 Member
    Options
    divcara wrote: »
    @STLBADGIRL - Thank you! I think that was actually one of the most interesting things about these past 18 months. I had never exercised before or ever enjoyed working out. I would join gyms and never go. I think I took one spin class and walked out after 10 minutes. Or I would typically try one class, be so out of shape that I would physically not be able to do it, feel horrible, self-conscious, hate it, and never go back again. When I got serious about losing weight last year, one of my friends said, "You have to just be willing to suck for awhile." It ended up being good advice. I kind of relaxed about my starting point and stopped comparing myself to people who had been at this for years. I was not in shape, I was so de-conditioned. My heart rate went up to 172 in the first 3 minutes. Working out was NOT fun or enjoyable. But I stuck with it. Consistently. Feet to the floor, just gotta do it.

And then you start seeing the progression. And one day you're running a minute longer than you could the day before. Or lifting a weight you couldn't even pick up a month ago. Or feeling your core now strong enough to support you for an exercise instead of sagging. And realizing you don't need to do the modification anymore. Now I can barely get my heart rate up to 172, even with intense exercise. A group fitness class is still always challenging, but you get stronger. And it becomes fun to attack new goals or reach new milestones you never thought possible. Now it is my stress relief, my adrenaline burn, my therapy, something I genuinely look forward to doing.

I've also found the more I challenge my body and the more it performs for me, the more motivated I am to fuel it, take care of it, give it good nutrition, get recovery sleep. I went from someone who ordered (not healthy!) takeout every single night to cooking, and trying new things, and being creative in the kitchen.

And I think surrounding yourself with like-minded, supportive, positive people makes a huge difference too. People who inspire to be better, push harder, help others. In all aspects of life, not just health and fitness. I think with enough consistency, somewhere along the way healthy changes shift from feeling strenuous, uncomfortable, unappealing - to habits and routines that make you feel good, energetic, capable..and then it spirals.

So I kept clicking "awesome" then "insightful" then "awesome" until I finally said "oh, heck, I'm just gonna quote the whole thing so I can see it in print again, and tell @divcara that I think it's awesome and insightful". I especially like the bolded parts, but I like the whole thing.

This is exactly what I found when I started getting active, and stuck with it.

Excellent post.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    It's way easier for me. All I have to do is keep weighing myself weekly and adjust accordingly. With losing, I had to make a long-term plan. Now I just make minor adjustments to my eating/activity.
  • Lynzdee18
    Lynzdee18 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Harder.

I miss the rush of weighing and seeing the lower number....
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I find maintaining much easier. I'm lucky that my natural appetite lines up perfectly with my maintenance calories, therefore maintaining my weight doesn't require much effort.
    Eating at a deficit requires much more vigilance and willpower for me.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    My story is I added a bigger breakfast and more snacks. Ben and Jerry’s every night! How is that hard?
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    My story is I added a bigger breakfast and more snacks. Ben and Jerry’s every night! How is that hard?

Good point.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I find maintaining easy. I recently took about a six month break from losing and just maintained after a 28lb lost. I didn't really log, I just ate with that thought in the back of my head not to eat as much as I wanted to. I knew my body wanted me to gain the weight back and I simply chose to ignore it and always stop BEFORE I wanted to. I logged a little here and there, you can check out my diary it's public. Its the constant vigilant awareness that kept me within 3-5 lbs of the weight I was when I changed to maintenance.

Note that I may be a special case here, I dunno, because I gained the vast majority of my weight in sudden large amounts, not as a gradual gain over time. I very quickly gained 20lbs or so when I went from a walking job to a desk job, like in a couple of months, then I maintained that for a couple of years without even having joined MFP, I just adjusted apparently on my own. Then I got pregnant, ballooned up to 184 lbs, then after I had my kid, while breastfeeding I lost down to 141, then I stopped breastfeeding and due to my child's medical problems turned into a living couch (he had to sleep completely upright for the first four months of his life, so I became the human upright bed, and had to be VERY still every time he slept, and babies sleep a LOT), after which point I gained til I was 176 lbs over the course of those four months. I lost the 28lbs I have lost between September of last year and April-ish of this year, took a diet break over the rest of spring and summer, and now I'm back to lose the final 30. I didn't "gain" any weight during my diet break/recomp/maintenance, whatever you wanna call it. I hovered around the 150 mark within 3-5 lbs the whole time, which can be accounted for with water weight alone, and just normal weight fluctuation from day to day.

Here's the down side: I have a really hard time losing. REALLY hard. It's slow and arduous and tedious and unpleasant and I HATE working out, but I love to eat more. I have to be absolutely flawless with my logging, because my body is set to standard maintenance all the time, and really any deficit makes me feel like I'm not getting enough. And I NEVER take off my fitbit, because my burn estimate also has to be as flawless as is possible for the layman.

I really thought, back in the spring, that I was gonna totally gain back all the weight I'd lost and that I'd have to log everything forever and omfg panic. But it turns out I do okay without doing anything especially strenuous. Even stopping eating, as I said before, before I am ready wasn't that difficult compared to my 1000 calorie deficit. It was kind of relieving actually. I hope this helps soothe someone's fears. Everyone is different, but maybe you'll be different in this way, horrible losing but easy maintenance. I expect there are benefits to the easy loser with difficult maintenance too.

I don't say this to be a jerk to people who have a hard time maintaining, I'm just relaying my experience. I really think, for some people, that the loss is the huge PITA, and maintaining can be the easy part.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    I have found for myself that maintaining is not that hard to do. Just historically I maintain easily. I tend to lose weight in segments for some reason. I'll lose 10-15 then stop and just hold it where ever it is. I may gain a few pounds back, maybe not. Than I'll pick up again and lose a little more. It's a cycle for me. During these periods in between losing I don't know how I even really do it. It seems like if I eat more than I should I really feel stuffed. Now that I have my hunger control. I used to have a horrible time with hunger and that was really ruining me.
  • chrislee1628
    chrislee1628 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    heck, losing it is hard enough atm, apparently I am suppose to be eating 2500 to maintain, and to lose 2lbs per week, eat 1500 per day, yet, at 1500 per day, it is up and down..... it is gonna be hell when I get to the point of maintaining.....
  • triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Yes and no. I am just pass the 4yr mark and I have gained about 10lbs of the 100lbs back. I have to kick my own rear every once in a while to get back on track. It is really easy to fall back into old habits. You will need to step on the scale forever and adjust what you are doing when that number changes. We don't get to take weight for granted the way some people do. The part that makes it easier, in addition to getting a few more calories a day, is that you know it is possible. When you are losing the weight part of you always questions whether you will reach your goal and that little bit of doubt make you wonder if the suffering is worth it. You won't have that anymore and other people will tell you how inspiring your journey is, and that will make you want to stay on track for them too. Also strictly from a vanity point of view, it is easier being thin. People treat you better, they look you in the eye, they smile, they make small talk. No one smiled back at me back when I was larger. I cannot imagine going back to that level of invisibility so that makes staying thin a higher priority than eating.
  • fitforeternity493
    Options
    I'm maintaining my weight right now.. Although I'm far from my goal.. Losing the weight was the easy part once I cut out the junk and walked more.. I think for me maintaining my weight is hard until I'm ready to shed the last 60 pounds.

You have to remember that it's a lifestyle change and don't forget why you lost the weight to begin with.. For example it's easy for me to feel like a failure until I realize that I shed a significant amount of weight and it hasn't come back nor will it.

I think what helps me is looking at pics of myself from a few months back and looking at pics of myself now and realizing I look soo much better now than I did a few months ago. And thinking to myself " I don't want to go back to being 220 pounds and sad".. This curbs my craving for junk if I haven't been eating healthy all week...

• jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    wytey wrote: »
    heck, losing it is hard enough atm, apparently I am suppose to be eating 2500 to maintain, and to lose 2lbs per week, eat 1500 per day, yet, at 1500 per day, it is up and down..... it is gonna be hell when I get to the point of maintaining.....

If you're finding 2lbs a week too hard, you may want to switch over to 1lb a week. It might make losing easier and more pleasant.
  • STLBADGIRL
    STLBADGIRL Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    It's great to read everyone's different perspective on maintenance.