Why in the hell am I stuck at this weight?!

Options

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Joan23_us: I will not lie, it's been 6 weeks... I've grown impatient and VERY annoyed. I possibly won't be on here if something doesn't happen in another 4 weeks. Not saying that I'll become careless...but, what's the point in "eating less and moving more" if you don't get the expected results with calorie counting? I can keep going up in reps...and get stronger and better...but if I stay at this weight OR gain...I'll become a flaming basket case. :noway:

I just want you to know that I am FINALLY coming out on the other side of a plateau which took FOREVER!! I'm talking 2 and a half months....I just stayed patient and kept doing what I was doing and about 2 weeks ago the weight has sloooowwwllly started coming off again...to give some perspective: I initially lost 20 pounds relatively fast (about 2 months) and it has taken almost that long to lose an additional 5 pounds....it is driving me nuts but I am determined to stick it out this time because a plateau is what always cause me to give up in the past. NOT FALLING OFF THE WAGON THIS TIME!!! :) Good luck

Half a pound a week is to be expected when you are down to your last 10-15 pounds from goal.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    The information you posted gave me a LOT of insight on insulin resistance and it sounds like it could be an issue. Primarily, because I researched my blood type and eat a ton of carbs. Not the nasty processed stuff....but a lot of carbs. So, I could see how my body could have developed a resistance now. For a while, I thought about this possibility because of my family history and prior lab results. Crazy you mentioned this..... I won't say that I know "everything" like some are saying I am...but, I do know my body and I know something is amiss since I'm working out now more than I ever have on my own. I researched and it stated that walking 30 mins is a good remedy along with diet....so, I will switch it up and do my walking in the morning and my exercising at night (elliptical running) and I will definitely start trying the sprints! I'll also start eating more chicken/turkey with more green veggies. Right now, I get most of my daily protein from a shake and everything else is almonds, fruit, milk (coconut-lactose intolerant here) and other veggies.
    Many people with diagnosed hormonal issues (PCOS) find that lower carb tends to help them (lower, not low carb). And forget the blood type diet. It's crap like most other fad diets.

It seems like you are doing a lot of research on your own, and you can find a lot of absolutely HORRIBLE information on the internet. This is what happens when anyone can create a website (especially if they are looking for a quick buck). I would suggest going to your doctor and seeing if you have a condition that can be medically diagnosed (sorry if you already have and I missed it). If so, you may need to be on medication, and the doctor may have some specific recommendations for your diet. (Not all doctors understand nutrition, so you may want a second opinion.)

Sometimes people with hormonal imbalances have caloric equations that just don't seem to add up. They know they're burning x, they know they're eating y, but they don't add up to z. So my suggestion is to use all of you data and treat it as an estimate. Heart rate monitors are using an equation based on the average population; you've already said you aren't average and there's something off in your hormones. Your food you seem to be tracking fairly well. So, my suggestion is to pick a number, and eat at that number for a month and see what happens. If you stay the same, try cutting your calories by 100-200 calories. If you drop weight, keep it up and see what happens. Adjust as needed.

It's a longer process, but it works. Sometimes all the calculations are overwhelming, but in the end, they don't mean squat if you aren't losing. And most of all, have patience.
  • BayVay
    BayVay Posts: 24
    Options

To those of you who believe my posts....I thank you. This weight loss thing is nuts...and this plateau is making me crazy as I'd like to see results (well duh lol) and I just want to ENSURE nothing else is wrong...

It's not a matter of not believing you, in fact believing your info *is* the source of the feedback you are getting. If you are not losing weight, you are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. You are taking in as much energy as you are expending. So something is wrong with your calculations, either intake, output, or likely both. This doesn't make you a bad person or stupid or a liar or lazy.

If something else is out of whack (i.e. a mineral imbalance or hormonal something) it probably accounts for about 1% of the equation. Seriously. I know that sucks, but it's fact. You could adjust the energy equation by moving (lots) more or eating less and start losing again. It's hard to do, usually because it's so easy to misjudge calorie intake (and sometimes this is totally unconscious) and it's almost impossible to exercise enough to make up for a calorie misjudgement.

Thanks for replying Steph6467. So my question now would be...shouldn't I have gained every time I've upped my calorie intake then? If I was "miscalculating." Now, I'm curious. LOL. Going from 1100 calories a day and let's say burning only "300" a day with working out lasting 45 minutes...to 1450 and working out 30 minutes and losing more. :noway:

And this past week, which is only a little time... I still maintained but now I'm at the lowest end of the plateau. I consumed 1800-2000 calories and only worked out 3 times and burned "300" calories in that. How is that possible?

In my past experiences... I would consume about 2300-4000 calories...in JUNK. I'm talking 5 grilled cheese sandwiches, 1 FULL plate of white rice with butter and sugar, and 3 bowls of fruit loops....this doesn't include any liquid calories or snacks. LOL! All I did then was walk back and forth for an hour and clean for another. So in 2 hours of that....that's about 300 calories...realistically. Yet, I weighed 162....dropping from 176.

All this calorie counting crap is driving me nuts. I almost want to resort to eating unhealthy just for the weight loss. However, I'm FAR more determined to stick it out and remain healthy.
  • BayVay
    Options
    Joan23_us: I will not lie, it's been 6 weeks... I've grown impatient and VERY annoyed. I possibly won't be on here if something doesn't happen in another 4 weeks. Not saying that I'll become careless...but, what's the point in "eating less and moving more" if you don't get the expected results with calorie counting? I can keep going up in reps...and get stronger and better...but if I stay at this weight OR gain...I'll become a flaming basket case. :noway:

I just want you to know that I am FINALLY coming out on the other side of a plateau which took FOREVER!! I'm talking 2 and a half months....I just stayed patient and kept doing what I was doing and about 2 weeks ago the weight has sloooowwwllly started coming off again...to give some perspective: I initially lost 20 pounds relatively fast (about 2 months) and it has taken almost that long to lose an additional 5 pounds....it is driving me nuts but I am determined to stick it out this time because a plateau is what always cause me to give up in the past. NOT FALLING OFF THE WAGON THIS TIME!!! :) Good luck

CONGRATS!!!! And that would drive me nuts as well!!! LOL I hear you... but this is insane. You'd think if you were just being meticulous about exercising and calorie intake you wouldn't be stuck for so long. LOL. I'm on week 5....so, I'm hoping to gain some patience...doesn't look promising though lol
  • BayVay
    Options
    The information you posted gave me a LOT of insight on insulin resistance and it sounds like it could be an issue. Primarily, because I researched my blood type and eat a ton of carbs. Not the nasty processed stuff....but a lot of carbs. So, I could see how my body could have developed a resistance now. For a while, I thought about this possibility because of my family history and prior lab results. Crazy you mentioned this..... I won't say that I know "everything" like some are saying I am...but, I do know my body and I know something is amiss since I'm working out now more than I ever have on my own. I researched and it stated that walking 30 mins is a good remedy along with diet....so, I will switch it up and do my walking in the morning and my exercising at night (elliptical running) and I will definitely start trying the sprints! I'll also start eating more chicken/turkey with more green veggies. Right now, I get most of my daily protein from a shake and everything else is almonds, fruit, milk (coconut-lactose intolerant here) and other veggies.
    Many people with diagnosed hormonal issues (PCOS) find that lower carb tends to help them (lower, not low carb). And forget the blood type diet. It's crap like most other fad diets.

It seems like you are doing a lot of research on your own, and you can find a lot of absolutely HORRIBLE information on the internet. This is what happens when anyone can create a website (especially if they are looking for a quick buck). I would suggest going to your doctor and seeing if you have a condition that can be medically diagnosed (sorry if you already have and I missed it). If so, you may need to be on medication, and the doctor may have some specific recommendations for your diet. (Not all doctors understand nutrition, so you may want a second opinion.)

Sometimes people with hormonal imbalances have caloric equations that just don't seem to add up. They know they're burning x, they know they're eating y, but they don't add up to z. So my suggestion is to use all of you data and treat it as an estimate. Heart rate monitors are using an equation based on the average population; you've already said you aren't average and there's something off in your hormones. Your food you seem to be tracking fairly well. So, my suggestion is to pick a number, and eat at that number for a month and see what happens. If you stay the same, try cutting your calories by 100-200 calories. If you drop weight, keep it up and see what happens. Adjust as needed.

It's a longer process, but it works. Sometimes all the calculations are overwhelming, but in the end, they don't mean squat if you aren't losing. And most of all, have patience.

Audii: THANK YOU!!!!!!! Since 1250-1500 leaves me lightheaded, gives me headaches, and moody....I think I'll try 1650 a day. This past week, I maintained with just eating 1800 (now exercise) and 2000 (exercise). So, I think what I'll do is intake a little above my BMR and see where that puts me. I think I just got so lost when I increased to 14500-1500 lost, and then didn't lose anymore that I got discouraged. When I decreased again, I got even MORE discouraged. So....I think, 1650 (no more than 1700) is a nice balance between 1500 and 2000. I get so ANNOYED when people keep telling me to "cut more calories"...because I was under eating and over training for a VERY long time (15 months)...and didn't lose weight until November 2013.

My numbers have NEVER made any sense! In my past I've eaten WAY too many calories and dropped in weight with limited exercise. So now that I'm eating better, counting calories, and have higher intensity workouts...I thought it would be better and different. I am waiting to have my labs drawn...hoping all is in the clear and that all of this has to due with just my intake/output. I think I could be over training still... but, I'm addicted to working out...I'm hellbent on not being fat anymore. So, if my labs are well and 1700 is the magic number for now... I might just have to keep it to walking 45 mins and not logging that as exercise...but having that as my only workout.
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Switch it up for more than a wks time... seems like you've bounced around a lot with calorie consumption & exercise from wk to wk trying to find what works. (first you tried the low road then the next week ate more, etc) I'm no fitness or nutrition expert, but I think you should stick with a plan longer than a week before you rule out it's success (or maybe you are and I just misread your post).

I bought a polar loop. It pairs with a hrm for exercise, & gives a TDEE based on the days activity. It might save you some frustration to have the full picture. I use caloric info from MFP & activity/training info from Polar to ensure my deficit. I've found this really helpful.

Just don't give up. Keep working out and being mindful of your consumption. Something's gotta give sooner or later.
  • BayVay
    Options
    Hey guys!!!!

Some of you have REALLY helped me see what could be my issue.

1) I'm over training or under eating TOO much...still.
    2) Some type of hormone imbalance is amiss...considering my family history and past blood labs...I'm truly hoping this isn't it! Primarily it would be insulin resistance...I had elevated glucose at 214.6. Hopefully, it went away with my 35 lbs weight loss.

I'm set on not cutting anymore calories because I was eating at lower calories than 1450 in my past. As I lost, I cut even more. So, when I started, I was eating 1000 a day and burning 500 a day (although, my HRM and the machine said more than that). Everything stopped once I ate at 1450. I dropped my caloric intake and I GAINED. I put it back at 1450 and extended my workouts and I GAINED. LOL.

Now, at 182.0 (as of this morning)....and eat at 1800 (no workouts) to 2000 (workouts) I am at the LOWEST end of the plateau but "maintained." So, I will wait for my labs to come in AND see how 1650-1700 calories a day with a little less exercise gives me. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I was always just eating about 1200-1400 calories a day and found I wasn't getting anywhere! Then I started doing TDEE-20% and now the scale is moving again. Losing weight is all trial and error. Never expect an overnight result. It all takes time!
  • BayVay
    Options
    Switch it up for more than a wks time... seems like you've bounced around a lot with calorie consumption & exercise from wk to wk trying to find what works. (first you tried the low road then the next week ate more, etc) I'm no fitness or nutrition expert, but I think you should stick with a plan longer than a week before you rule out it's success (or maybe you are and I just misread your post).

I bought a polar loop. It pairs with a hrm for exercise, & gives a TDEE based on the days activity. It might save you some frustration to have the full picture. I use caloric info from MFP & activity/training info from Polar to ensure my deficit. I've found this really helpful.

Just don't give up. Keep working out and being mindful of your consumption. Something's gotta give sooner or later.

Sgrover1983: that's awesome that you mention a polar loop! I'm on Amazon and that's one of the recommendations! HA! I too want to ensure that my current HRM is correct. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one. LOL.

Yeah, I could only do the 1000 for a week, the 1250 for two weeks, and the 1400-1500 for a week. I had very intense headaches and got lightheaded. All of these numbers are UNDER my BMR and almost 1000 under my TDEE. So, that explains it. My TDEE fluctuates between 2377 and 2641, depending on how many days I workout. If I'm sedentary it's 1926.

Here's one of the many articles that gave me much needed information.
    http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html
  • BootCampCrazy
    BootCampCrazy Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Sgrover1983: that's awesome that you mention a polar loop! I'm on Amazon and that's one of the recommendations! HA! I too want to ensure that my current HRM is correct. Plus, it wouldn't hurt to get a new one. LOL.

Yeah, I could only do the 1000 for a week, the 1250 for two weeks, and the 1400-1500 for a week. I had very intense headaches and got lightheaded. All of these numbers are UNDER my BMR and almost 1000 under my TDEE. So, that explains it. My TDEE fluctuates between 2377 and 2641, depending on how many days I workout. If I'm sedentary it's 1926.

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

I'm really impressed with the loop! It's the whole package, daily activity, training activity, sleep analysis...You do have to buy the HRM strap separate... I think it's the Bluetooth H7 model. I spent a total of $160 for both and it was well worth it. I had to give it 10 days.... the first week I contemplated returning it; but after I figured things out... I love it. I can't leave home without it ;)
  • BayVay
    Options
    I was always just eating about 1200-1400 calories a day and found I wasn't getting anywhere! Then I started doing TDEE-20% and now the scale is moving again. Losing weight is all trial and error. Never expect an overnight result. It all takes time!

This was what I was doing AND working out!!!! Yet, some of the folks on here want me to cut MORE.

SO....I will try this!!!! My TDEE (Mifflin-St. Jeor formula) is 2355 for my CURRENT weight of 182.0. TDEE-20% is 1885. So, what I will do is make that the most I take in... and the least is 1650(non workout days). Is this fair? :flowerforyou: My exercise will be 30 mins of walk/run intervals 6 days a week.

Thanks so much for this post... It was getting a bit crazy and I was about to delete MFP and stick with LoseIt. The people just seem more supportive and insightful on there. BUT, many of you have actually been helpful and provided information necessary to help!
  • BayVay
    Options

I'm really impressed with the loop! It's the whole package, daily activity, training activity, sleep analysis...You do have to buy the HRM strap separate... I think it's the Bluetooth H7 model. I spent a total of $160 for both and it was well worth it. I had to give it 10 days.... the first week I contemplated returning it; but after I figured things out... I love it. I can't leave home without it ;)

That's actually not too bad! I'm going to read all the reviews on the one's I see and make a decision. I will have to let you know which one I decide on!
  • stephaniejohnston750
    Options
    I think you may need to increase your exercise a tad. For losing weight put more focus on cardio and low carbs. I would try increasing your cardio activities to 30-45 mins a day (every other) and switching between different types of cardio (bike, treadmill, rowing, stair climber, zumba, etc.). Weight training should be a minimum of 30 minutes, but aim for 45 if you can (alternate day of cardio). Good luck!
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options

To those of you who believe my posts....I thank you. This weight loss thing is nuts...and this plateau is making me crazy as I'd like to see results (well duh lol) and I just want to ENSURE nothing else is wrong...

It's not a matter of not believing you, in fact believing your info *is* the source of the feedback you are getting. If you are not losing weight, you are in a state of thermodynamic equilibrium. You are taking in as much energy as you are expending. So something is wrong with your calculations, either intake, output, or likely both. This doesn't make you a bad person or stupid or a liar or lazy.

If something else is out of whack (i.e. a mineral imbalance or hormonal something) it probably accounts for about 1% of the equation. Seriously. I know that sucks, but it's fact. You could adjust the energy equation by moving (lots) more or eating less and start losing again. It's hard to do, usually because it's so easy to misjudge calorie intake (and sometimes this is totally unconscious) and it's almost impossible to exercise enough to make up for a calorie misjudgement.

See, it's misinformation like this that is frustrating. There is far more of the population than 1% that is estimated to have either a thyroid issue or an issue that involves insulin resistance. Shoot, they're diagnosed more often than that. It's thinking like this that leads to the very reasons why weight loss can be so difficult.

For thyroid issues alone, it's estimated that 12% of the population has a problem with their thyroid, which is over 20 million people and they estimate that 60% of people with such a disorder don't know they have such a problem (1). For insulin resistance as it is an disorder than can arise in a variety of situations (PCOS, thyroid, metabolic syndrome, diabetes, etc.), they estimate that as much as 25% of the population may have some degree of insulin resistance (2).

(1) America Thyroid Association http://www.thyroid.org/media-main/about-hypothyroidism/
    (2) http://www.rightdiagnosis.com/i/insulin_resistance/stats.htm
  • xxsarahjwxx
    Options
    I would disagree with increasing your exercise. I was going to suggest perhaps just taking a diet break for a week, eat at TDEE and stay away from the gym - when you push your body too hard (i.e. too much exercise for too few calories) it gets stressed and the cortisol will really not help your weightloss. If you give it a break, you may find that your body finally lets go of some of the weight. It might also help mentally as well to not fixate over every calorie for a week.
    I have always been one to go too hard at things and have frequently found myself stuck at a weight because i'm overtraining and undereating. It got to the point where I was unable to sleep much because I was overtraining and burnt out (something to do with glycogen stores i think). It usually takes a few days off with normal eating to sort me out.
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    BayVay -- This is what I did that helped me:

Eating Paleo/Primal. Before my thyroid/insulin resistance diagnosis, I was having major issues with fatigue, intolerance to cold and inability to lose weight or inexplicably gaining weight, among other things. I was given a lot of the same advice/perspective you've gotten here -- "eat less, move more"; you must be measuring wrong; you're lying/crazy/wrong/in denial/etc. I'd seen several doctors over the years and had certain blood tests done and told things were "fine" and I must just be wrong about my eating/exercising numbers.

It wasn't until after I trained and ran a half-marathon, that my fiance pushed me and said, "something is really off with you. I see how much you're running/working out and eating. Unless you're hiding in a closet eating a box of oreos everyday, something is wrong and you need to figure out what it is." We switched to Paleo, and later to the more permissive Primal, and I'd felt better than I had in years. It was literally the first thing I'd found that helped with the fatigue (still there, but the episodes weren't as intense or prolonged). But, I was still struggling to take off the 30 lbs that came on the prior 2 years. Some research and a few specialists later, I got the thyroid and insulin diagnoses and we worked on getting my metabolism back on track as well as the thyroid treated properly.

Paleo/Primal is believed to help with certain disorders, thyroid being one of them -- because they think certain things (gluten, casein, lectins being some of the most popular targets) trigger certain issues, like autoimmune disorders (celiac, thyroid, etc.) I was able to add dairy back in as it doesn't apparently bother me and so eat more Primal these days. I aim to get at least 0.7 g per lb bodyweight of protein in per day and aim to hit no more than 100 g of carbs, usually in the 40-80 g range (and low glycemic carbs if possible), the rest is usually fat -- which for me breaks down to 20-30% protein, 20% or less in carbs, and 50-65% good fats.

For insulin resistance, I believe it's the low-ish carbs and low glycemic carbs that help the best as it helps control/minimize insulin spikes. The paleo/primal component probably wouldn't matter here, but I found that they complemented each other nicely as most of the paleo/primal fruits and veggies lended themselves to a low-ish carb diet naturally (but I tracked just to be sure as you can be paleo/primal and still have a high carb intake if you want for other reasons). My doc was very happy to hear that I was already eating this way as this was exactly what he recommended for my situation.

Exercise -- For exercise, I was lifting heavy (3x5 workout), walking/hiking (18-25 miles/week), some yoga from time to time (tried to get 2 sessions of hot yoga in a week but this varies -- I consider it bonus when possible) and semi-weekly sprint sessions. I really believe that lifting heavy and sprint session are essential to effective fat loss -- they help you maintain or minimize lean body mass loss (i.e. muscle) in a caloric deficit -- so more of what weight you're losing is fat rather than muscle. Once we got my thyroid in the proper range and I was taking medication to help my body metabolize glucose correctly, the weight started coming off as it should according to my numbers. I still had to do the hard work, of course, but it was finally yielding the results it was supposed to. It was amazing to finally lose like a normal person and not feel like I was crazy, terrible at measuring, in denial, etc.

Vitamin/Mineral Supplements -- as part of my medical checks, the doc also found that I was deficient in magnesium and vitamin D -- which are both very, very common in the populace. My iodine, iron and other levels were fine. So, I take magnesium/zinc/B complex combo before bed most nights (and it also helps in muscle recovery after heavy lifting sessions) as well as a daily D-3 supplement. If you find a doc that has a more comprehensive approach, things like this will be looked at. For me, it was my 3rd endo, who specialized in thyroid issues particularly and he's been AMAZING. He also found the insulin resistance.

I'm not saying all this may be necessary for you, but I've found what works for me and I feel great -- and now the reasons why make sense as well. My new "normal" is so different than it was a few years ago. I highly recommend Paleo/Primal, getting sufficient protein and low glycemic carbs (or lowish carbs overall). Some may not need such issues to lose weight, but I imagine some like me do with the thyroid and insulin resistance issues.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hey guys!!!!

Some of you have REALLY helped me see what could be my issue.

1) I'm over training or under eating TOO much...still.
    2) Some type of hormone imbalance is amiss...considering my family history and past blood labs...I'm truly hoping this isn't it! Primarily it would be insulin resistance...I had elevated glucose at 214.6. Hopefully, it went away with my 35 lbs weight loss.

I'm set on not cutting anymore calories because I was eating at lower calories than 1450 in my past. As I lost, I cut even more. So, when I started, I was eating 1000 a day and burning 500 a day (although, my HRM and the machine said more than that). Everything stopped once I ate at 1450. I dropped my caloric intake and I GAINED. I put it back at 1450 and extended my workouts and I GAINED. LOL.

Now, at 182.0 (as of this morning)....and eat at 1800 (no workouts) to 2000 (workouts) I am at the LOWEST end of the plateau but "maintained." So, I will wait for my labs to come in AND see how 1650-1700 calories a day with a little less exercise gives me. :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

I wouldn't consider 30-45 min 6 days a week to be over training. I also think you are eating plenty but maybe I'm wrong
  • BayVay
    Options
    I would disagree with increasing your exercise. I was going to suggest perhaps just taking a diet break for a week, eat at TDEE and stay away from the gym - when you push your body too hard (i.e. too much exercise for too few calories) it gets stressed and the cortisol will really not help your weightloss. If you give it a break, you may find that your body finally lets go of some of the weight. It might also help mentally as well to not fixate over every calorie for a week.
    I have always been one to go too hard at things and have frequently found myself stuck at a weight because i'm overtraining and undereating. It got to the point where I was unable to sleep much because I was overtraining and burnt out (something to do with glycogen stores i think). It usually takes a few days off with normal eating to sort me out.

You totally just freaked me out a little. THIS IS ME DOWN TO THE T... I went over last month...and there was only 3 days in it that I had a net calories of 1200-1500. All of the others were below 1000. One was as low as 476. The LOWEST was 299. I wanted to cry at how bad it was.
    Again, this past week was the first week where I was actually OK... I had energy, I didn't get headaches, etc. I was eating 1800-2000 calories since last Sunday...and I went from 183.6 to 182.0...that's almost 2 lbs! But, I'm uncertain if the scale will move any more than that...since I've seen 182.0 once before and that's the lowest it's been. Hoping I can keep it moving DOWN...

I agree, I don't agree with increasing my exercise. At least, not with what I do. This is because if I do 30 minutes I can barely make it back to home I'm so exhausted and wiped out. When I do 45 minutes, I have to sit down and drink water for 15-20 mins because I'm so lightheaded and my heart feels like it'll burst. You know the feeling? When you can feel your heart pulsing in your face? Your hearing gets all fuzzy...that's how I am after a 45 minute workout. I go that insane.

But, I'm scared to stop going...lol. I have to do SOMETHING. Because I have a fear that I'll always put it off or something... So, since I like walking....I will take on that for a bit...I'll probably do about an hour to 2 hours of that since it's not as exhausting for me...and I like it.

Calorie intake/output has CONSUMED my life. Seriously, it has. At one point, back in December, I was burning everything I ate. If I ate 1150, I would burn 1151 in exercise (I then included my walking, elliptical, running, and weight training)...I got that idea from some YouTube person...that was the worst mistake I've EVER DONE!
  • BayVay
    Options
    BayVay -- This is what I did that helped me:

Eating Paleo/Primal. Before my thyroid/insulin resistance diagnosis, I was having major issues with fatigue, intolerance to cold and inability to lose weight or inexplicably gaining weight, among other things. I was given a lot of the same advice/perspective you've gotten here -- "eat less, move more"; you must be measuring wrong; you're lying/crazy/wrong/in denial/etc. I'd seen several doctors over the years and had certain blood tests done and told things were "fine" and I must just be wrong about my eating/exercising numbers.

It wasn't until after I trained and ran a half-marathon, that my fiance pushed me and said, "something is really off with you. I see how much you're running/working out and eating. Unless you're hiding in a closet eating a box of oreos everyday, something is wrong and you need to figure out what it is." We switched to Paleo, and later to the more permissive Primal, and I'd felt better than I had in years. It was literally the first thing I'd found that helped with the fatigue (still there, but the episodes weren't as intense or prolonged). But, I was still struggling to take off the 30 lbs that came on the prior 2 years. Some research and a few specialists later, I got the thyroid and insulin diagnoses and we worked on getting my metabolism back on track as well as the thyroid treated properly.

Paleo/Primal is believed to help with certain disorders, thyroid being one of them -- because they think certain things (gluten, casein, lectins being some of the most popular targets) trigger certain issues, like autoimmune disorders (celiac, thyroid, etc.) I was able to add dairy back in as it doesn't apparently bother me and so eat more Primal these days. I aim to get at least 0.7 g per lb bodyweight of protein in per day and aim to hit no more than 100 g of carbs, usually in the 40-80 g range (and low glycemic carbs if possible), the rest is usually fat -- which for me breaks down to 20-30% protein, 20% or less in carbs, and 50-65% good fats.

For insulin resistance, I believe it's the low-ish carbs and low glycemic carbs that help the best as it helps control/minimize insulin spikes. The paleo/primal component probably wouldn't matter here, but I found that they complemented each other nicely as most of the paleo/primal fruits and veggies lended themselves to a low-ish carb diet naturally (but I tracked just to be sure as you can be paleo/primal and still have a high carb intake if you want for other reasons). My doc was very happy to hear that I was already eating this way as this was exactly what he recommended for my situation.

Exercise -- For exercise, I was lifting heavy (3x5 workout), walking/hiking (18-25 miles/week), some yoga from time to time (tried to get 2 sessions of hot yoga in a week but this varies -- I consider it bonus when possible) and semi-weekly sprint sessions. I really believe that lifting heavy and sprint session are essential to effective fat loss -- they help you maintain or minimize lean body mass loss (i.e. muscle) in a caloric deficit -- so more of what weight you're losing is fat rather than muscle. Once we got my thyroid in the proper range and I was taking medication to help my body metabolize glucose correctly, the weight started coming off as it should according to my numbers. I still had to do the hard work, of course, but it was finally yielding the results it was supposed to. It was amazing to finally lose like a normal person and not feel like I was crazy, terrible at measuring, in denial, etc.

Vitamin/Mineral Supplements -- as part of my medical checks, the doc also found that I was deficient in magnesium and vitamin D -- which are both very, very common in the populace. My iodine, iron and other levels were fine. So, I take magnesium/zinc/B complex combo before bed most nights (and it also helps in muscle recovery after heavy lifting sessions) as well as a daily D-3 supplement. If you find a doc that has a more comprehensive approach, things like this will be looked at. For me, it was my 3rd endo, who specialized in thyroid issues particularly and he's been AMAZING. He also found the insulin resistance.

I'm not saying all this may be necessary for you, but I've found what works for me and I feel great -- and now the reasons why make sense as well. My new "normal" is so different than it was a few years ago. I highly recommend Paleo/Primal, getting sufficient protein and low glycemic carbs (or lowish carbs overall). Some may not need such issues to lose weight, but I imagine some like me do with the thyroid and insulin resistance issues.

This was very informative! As of this morning I started taking my magnesium, D3, Zinc, multivitamin, and B6. I haven't been taking them in a WHILE. Ugh. LOL. For iodine deficiency I take Iodoral every other day. I also take Maca supplements to help with energy and hormone balance.

Yeah, I just don't get what the sudden hold up is...and why it's so aggressive or I'm very aggressive with breaking it. So, I will try to take a break eat at TDEE and take walks...after a few days to a week... I'm going to just consume TDEE-20% and go for long brisk walks. If this doesn't work...I might look more into the Paleo diet. I heard about it and saw it worked wonders for some people...
  • lindsey1979
    Options
    This was very informative! As of this morning I started taking my magnesium, D3, Zinc, multivitamin, and B6. I haven't been taking them in a WHILE. Ugh. LOL. For iodine deficiency I take Iodoral every other day. I also take Maca supplements to help with energy and hormone balance.

Yeah, I just don't get what the sudden hold up is...and why it's so aggressive or I'm very aggressive with breaking it. So, I will try to take a break eat at TDEE and take walks...after a few days to a week... I'm going to just consume TDEE-20% and go for long brisk walks. If this doesn't work...I might look more into the Paleo diet. I heard about it and saw it worked wonders for some people...

If you don't think you have any food sensitivities or autoimmune issues, the Paleo/Primal part may not make much difference so long as you're hitting your macros as I believe the macros, especially protein and carb, consumption are the issues for maintaining/minimizing muscle loss and insulin resistance issues.

Do you know what macros (protein, carb, fats) you generally hit? How much protein are you getting? I think you said you generally eat a lot of carbs -- any idea how many grams or and what percentage come from low glycemic sources (most vegetables, some fruits) rather than those that are metabolized quickly (i.e. refined carbs, high sugar, certain fruits, etc.)?