"Oh, so you're starving yourself?"

Options
So my mother just informed me that they are having Chinese take out for dinner and since I just had Red Robin for lunch (and was hoping to have a semi healthy, filling, yet not completely bulky meal for dinner) I told her I was planning on having yogurt, granola and a ton of fruit for dinner. She replied, "Oh, so you're starving yourself?" I said, "No! I'm not starving myself! I ate a lot of food today and since I'm still full, I don't feel like eating a bulky dinner." She proceeded to run outside and yell to my neighbors (there were 5+ of them outside,) "She is starving herself tonight!"

I'm not really embarrassed or anything like that because I know that I am not starving myself by choosing this meal. I have been craving yogurt, granola and fruit for a while now and I am not in the mood for a bulky meal so I am mainly eating just to eat haha.

I am a bit mad about this, though. This isn't the first time she's criticized my eating choices. It seems if I am not eating the junk food she wants me to eat, I am not eating "correctly" to her.

What can I say to her? I've tried, "I'm doing this for my health, please support me." and it obviously doesn't help.

Anyone been through something like this before?

Replies

• dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Maybe direct her to the nearest psych ward?
  • DP325i
    DP325i Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Have to say it, and no offence, but that was really childish of her to do that, eat how you want, and don't feel pressured by her or her bad eating habits, you're doing this for you! Not her. =)
  • LessthanKris
    LessthanKris Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    That would be really annoying. Especially since you did go eat Red Robin which is not usually a place one goes for a light meal. I would tell her that eating like that is what got you to a place where you wanted to make a change. This is how you make that change and since you are 30lbs down you are doing something right.
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Maybe try sitting down with your mother and telling her that you're serious about trying to eat better and be healthier, so instead of her just buying junk food and takeout and getting offended when you don't eat it, you'd like it if the two of you could collaborate on meal plans so both of you could eat what makes you happy, even if that sometimes means that you have yogurt and she has egg rolls.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Show her your food diary and prove to her that you aren't starving yourself.
  • donyellemoniquex3
    donyellemoniquex3 Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    So my mother just informed me that they are having Chinese take out for dinner and since I just had Red Robin for lunch (and was hoping to have a semi healthy, filling, yet not completely bulky meal for dinner) I told her I was planning on having yogurt, granola and a ton of fruit for dinner. She replied, "Oh, so you're starving yourself?" I said, "No! I'm not starving myself! I ate a lot of food today and since I'm still full, I don't feel like eating a bulky dinner." She proceeded to run outside and yell to my neighbors (there were 5+ of them outside,) "Prescilla is starving herself tonight!"

I'm not really embarrassed or anything like that because I know that I am not starving myself by choosing this meal. I have been craving yogurt, granola and fruit for a while now and I am not in the mood for a bulky meal so I am mainly eating just to eat haha.

I am a bit mad about this, though. This isn't the first time she's criticized my eating choices. It seems if I am not eating the junk food she wants me to eat, I am not eating "correctly" to her.

What can I say to her? I've tried, "I'm doing this for my health, please support me." and it obviously doesn't help.

My advice would be to punch her in the head a few dozen times... but that's just me.
  • weightxlossjourney
    weightxlossjourney Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Ignore her, when you hit your goal weight, maybe she'll want to "starve" herself as well. Your mother doesn't understand your choices and that's perfectly fine, you started this journey for yourself not her. You got it girl!
  • DP325i
    Options
    cartman.jpg
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Your mom is one of those manipulative types, huh? That's OK. Recognize it for what it is and IGNORE any attempts at manipulation. You are a grown adult now. Just laugh it off and do what you need to do. :drinker:
  • MissBlunts420
    MissBlunts420 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Honestly, there is nothing that you can say to her if she doesn't want to hear it. You don't have to prove yourself to your mother or anyone else. Just keep doing what works for you! :)
  • cheripugh1
    cheripugh1 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    So my mother just informed me that they are having Chinese take out for dinner and since I just had Red Robin for lunch (and was hoping to have a semi healthy, filling, yet not completely bulky meal for dinner) I told her I was planning on having yogurt, granola and a ton of fruit for dinner. She replied, "Oh, so you're starving yourself?" I said, "No! I'm not starving myself! I ate a lot of food today and since I'm still full, I don't feel like eating a bulky dinner." She proceeded to run outside and yell to my neighbors (there were 5+ of them outside,) "Prescilla is starving herself tonight!"

I don't think there is any way to stop her but maybe tell her or ask her if she'd like to run outside and tell the world that she wants to kill you... which is what not losing wt. will do...

OK maybe tell her what you are doing and why and tell her you love her so much you want to stay healthy to be around a long time and tell her all you want is for her to love you too... or when she says she loves you then look her in the eyes and say then back me up mom on this journey...

I think you have to ignore her until she sees what you are doing is the best...
  • Marcia315
    Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    WTF? Running out and telling the neighbors? That's just whacked.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Honestly your never going to make her understand so just stick with what you are doing and what you know is right for you and let her do what she thinks she has to do. As long as you never give in to her demands and her way of trying to bend you to her will then you'll feel better. Take pleasure in knowing your driving her batty, hey that's it make it a game so you will get a kick out of seeing what she'll do next. Laugh in her face (or behind her back) and score 1 for you 0 for Mom. :laugh:
  • crsawinton
    crsawinton Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    She sounds like an enabler, and like she doesn't "get it" either. Her behaviour with the neighbors also sounds quite childish. I suggest showing her your logs, maybe it will help her see what you are going for? maybe not, some people are people are perfectly happy with their head in the sand.

I would try to reach her, explain what you are not happy with, and tell her your goals! Ask for her support, but explain to her if she can't be supportive you would prefer that she at least kept her opinion to herself. If she is genuinely concerned she should discuss it with you like a sane, rational adult, not try to shame you into eating take-out!! grrrr.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    You've just described my mother. Welcome to my world! I ignore and move on, I also tell her very little. Do what's best for you. :flowerforyou:
  • SillaWinchester
    SillaWinchester Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    cartman.jpg

That is the most fantastic thing ever!
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

My advice would be to punch her in the head a few dozen times... but that's just me.

Ummmmmmmm........wow. Must be some other issues going on there.
  • SillaWinchester
    Options

Yeah, I don't think I'm going to punch my mom.
  • DP325i
    Options

Me and my mother being well versed in martial arts..... spar with each other, so...... I have punched mine, then I was promptly knocked out by a well placed right hook.

And is it bad I always lose to her yet I out rank her?
  • SillaWinchester
    Options

Me and my mother being well versed in martial arts..... spar with each other, so...... I have punched mine, then I was promptly knocked out by a well placed right hook.

And is it bad I always lose to her yet I out rank her?

It's the gentleman thing to do!