Tracking on a Cruise

Options
13»

Replies

• soozey1
    soozey1 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I recently went on a cruise, been on plenty. I tracked it was just offline. Take the stairs all the time. Go to the gym and then enjoy your dessert. Watch the buffet order in the restaurant and watch the bread it is small and so delicious it will go go straight to your hips. Had killer calves when I returned but no weight gain, which made me feel great.
  • nh38318
    nh38318 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Im on a cruise in 4 weeks. I usually dont track what I eat or drink or exercise at all but this time im planning on using the gym a few times. Whether I actually will when im on there is another thing entirely!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    enjoy your vacation.
  • Nissi51
    Nissi51 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Track on a cruise... let me know how that goes! I remember my last cruise.. first two days: oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, chicken breast salad potato for lunch, dinner a little splurge and weight and cardio workout in the gym...

Fast forward to end of cruise... breakfast buffet, ate everything, lunch buffet, ate everything, dinner.. guess what I ate? Everything. I did manage to get to the gym every single day and kill it there though!!!

You are on vacation.. enjoy, eat in moderation and write it down if you feel you need to log and there is no online access... OR the cruise I was on had complementary computer online access in a lounge area for short periods of time, you can uitilize that if possible or you'll have to pay to use your smart device.

A
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Don't use your phone on a cruise, it's very expensive with roaming charges. I always buy enough time with the cruise ships internet to last me one week or how ever long the cruise will be. I take my own laptop with me and use it in my room. They have a gym you can use also and a nice deck to take walks on.
  • 2essie
    2essie Posts: 2,867 Member
    Options
    Believe me, if the food is anything like on the cruise we went on you will need every ounce of willpower. The food was fantastic and on offer 24 hours per day. I couldn't have stuck to a diet even if I had tried. Just go and enjoy it all. Remember, you have paid for it.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Keeping a journal and recording when you get back. However, like others have posted, take a break, enjoy and resume when you get back.

I am going on a cruise in May 2014. I will not track but I will use the gym.
  • Corsetopia
    Corsetopia Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Track on a cruise... let me know how that goes! I remember my last cruise.. first two days: oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast, chicken breast salad potato for lunch, dinner a little splurge and weight and cardio workout in the gym...

Fast forward to end of cruise... breakfast buffet, ate everything, lunch buffet, ate everything, dinner.. guess what I ate? Everything. I did manage to get to the gym every single day and kill it there though!!!

You are on vacation.. enjoy, eat in moderation and write it down if you feel you need to log and there is no online access... OR the cruise I was on had complementary computer online access in a lounge area for short periods of time, you can uitilize that if possible or you'll have to pay to use your smart device.

A

This exactly! Last cruise I went on, the first day or so I was really good, then I realized I was on vacation and just went for it. Ate everything. Ordered Disney mickey chocolate bars and hot chocolate to our room like every night. It was pretty much magical.

I did, however, get my butt to the gym that was on the ship every morning and work up a sweat. It made me feel better all day and helped me feel less guilty about the crazy food choices I made all vacation.

End result? I came home, stepped on the scale and was up almost 4 pounds. It came off pretty quickly once I started getting back into things here. I'd say not logging and enjoying myself was well worth it. It's a vacation!

By the way - have a great time!! :flowerforyou:
  • KeithAngilly
    KeithAngilly Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    just don't...

enjoy yourself...I went with the intention of tracking, but gave it up on the first day. The internet charges were crazy..
  • STrooper
    STrooper Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    Pay for the internet café. Log on to website just to see your day streak update and then log-off. If you are intent on entering what you ate ,do that when you get back (I wouldn't). But given my current streak (800 days tomorrow) , I wouldn't want to give it up either. If you are taking your own tablet or laptop then you can usually buy 30 minute increments. That should give you enough time to sign-on briefly each day.

Enjoy your trip.
  • lisamay74
    lisamay74 Posts: 16
    Options
    We are cruising to the Bahamas in May!!! If you are using CCL I know you can pull up their menus online (that they serve in the dining room & room service menus)......of course the buffets are not available online!! You can even get the menu for the Steakhouse!!

If you are not using CCL maybe you can do the same with your cruise line!!

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your cruise!!

Lisa
    :flowerforyou:
  • vicki304
    vicki304 Posts: 22
    Options
    I was on the carnival victory last October, you're on vacation, there are so many healthy options and they even have a fitness area and a track... however... reward yourself and enjoy your trip. Plenty of time to monitor cals when you get home :)
  • vicki304
    vicki304 Posts: 22
    Options
    Also FYI!!!! Leave your cell at home! My roaming charges were more than my cruise!
  • 10BlueDoves
    10BlueDoves Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about tracking on a cruise. I went on a cruise after around 100 days of daily logging, I was concerned too before I went. But I ended up deciding to just eat and enjoy my cruise. I didn't go overboard on the eating though. Some things I did, if I took it and didn't really enjoy eating it, I didn't. Stop eating when full, this was a little tough when some of the food was so yummy and stuff I hadn't eaten in months, but I knew there was another yummy meal soon to come. If there are more than one dish you are trying to decide on, pick the one which you think will have less calories. If you find something you love that is a more sensible choice, eat it over and over again, I had a bed of fresh baby spinach with balsamic vinegrette topped with over a dozen giant cocktail shrimp for lunch every single day of our cruise. Yum. I went on a 7 night cruise, ate dessert with every meal, had unmeasured amounts of real soda, mid-afternoon small soft serve ice cream, late night pizza snack (but skipped the pepperoni and sausage)... When I got home, I was only up 2 pounds, two days later I was down 3 pounds. I was just holding water weight because of all the extra sodium. It is only one week, one week isn't going to make or break any long term goals. But don't over do it either.
  • Fixin to Cruise out on the 31st with the spouse a roo and an awesome MFP connection and his lovely...After reading all these responses, I think I may just paper log everything to keep my fat *kitten* in perspective of what I put in my mouth. I have a paper nutritional dictionary I can refer to for caloric intake. But who knows, knowing my dear MFP friend, he'll most likely take my paper notebook and nutritional dictionary and toss it off the boat and buy me a shot of Jager because he knows I don't need to be a silly fool worrying about logging...and that is why he is my MFP BFF:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: