Logging foods before you eat them

Options
13»

Replies

• FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    I love pre logging. It helps keep me on track.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't think so. I don't do so everyday, but I find it's much easier to plan a night out if I pre-log.
  • bettwalker
    bettwalker Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I usually log my food in advance in order to plan my day. Works for me.:happy:
  • 40DayFit
    40DayFit Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I started pre-logging after a colleague shared that she uses this technique. As someone who enjoys flexibility, I thought I would have a hard time with it. I actually find it fun instead! I get to "test out" what I'm thinking about eating, and find that I'm far more conscious of my actual food choices as a result. Rarely do I end up eating over my calorie goal or missing macros unawares. When I do end up eating over my calorie goal, I'm usually aware that I'm going to do so before the food enters my mouth. This holds me accountable to my choices and allows me to be more aware of the connections between my mood and my food.

Now that I've been testing out this technique for about two weeks, I think I'm ready to start considering more structured planning of my weekday meals. I like flexibility in my food choices, so have long resisted planning out an entire week of food. How dull, I thought! Now I see it more as a way to exercise control and choice, consciously linking my daily choices to my longer-term goals. My most successful efforts in this area have been when I ensure I have plenty of prepared vegetables and cooked lean proteins on hand to choose from day to day.

I even used pre-logging to test out whether or not I really would choose to dive into a pile of cake after a frustrating and mood-unsettling day. I calculated out just how many slices of cake I could eat while staying inside my calorie allotment. I didn't end up choosing cake, but had I, I would have been conscious of the nutritional consequences of that choice.
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I pre-log about a week in advance, leave plenty of calories each day for spontaneous snacking/boozing, and make sure to go in and change my log if I end up eating something different. It works for me, makes shopping easier, and is kind of fun.
  • annbillingsley
    annbillingsley Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I do this too! It makes me feel like I have a "savings" of calories in my bank. Even if I pre-log and it goes in the red, I am ok with that because I will tweak what I have and how much exercise I do. Sometimes I will not snack during the day and it breaks even. sometimes I end up going over and sometimes I actually find I cannot eat everything I logged---those days are my favorite lol. I pre-logged everything today and started the day at -498 in the red. I got off my butt and exercised, cut snacks out btwn meals, drank extra fluids to try and keep me filled longer. it is 7:20pm here and unless something happens and I emotionally eat, I probably won't even be able to eat all that is left.
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    Testing.
  • Blue801
    Blue801 Posts: 442
    Options
    Bizarre :huh:
  • avskk
    avskk Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    I could have sworn my post was a reply to a whole big thread. W... T... F... ?
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I could have sworn my post was a reply to a whole big thread. W... T... F... ?

same here. If its deleted, why not our posts too?

SPOOOOOOKY!
  • 40DayFit
    Options
    I think that only we can see our original posts on this thread, and others can see our comments after the strange deletion.

It looks like the original poster who started this thread deleted her account, perhaps taking the original thread with her...?