Embarrassed to work out?

Options

Replies

• loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I know I'm saying this for the gym but it works the same for outside.

Since the 7th of January I've only used the gym when its quiet and I go to classes for my exercise. Tonight my class was cancelled and I didn't want to have to come back into town later so instead just went to gym after work 5.15 pm. It was madness and I had to battle for a bench but I did it and honestly no one batted an eyelid because from going at quiet times I had learnt what to do and now I had a plan I looked like I knew what I was doing.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Who the F*** cares what others in the gym think??
    You ain't there for them....

You got to start somewhere....so go in and start, and have fun

Enjoy the results.
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    Nope. I'm there to get fit, not look at other people. I assume that's what everyone else is there doing as well.

It's all in your head! No one is really looking at you! Honest! If someone meets your eye, give a nod and a smile and then get back to work!
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I feel you! When I started I hated going for jogs at the park because I was self conscious of what people thought of me.... well after doing it for a while I just stopped caring. I'm improving myself and that is all that matters to me. Although I don't belong to a gym, I've put together one at home that I use daily. I was shy at first about working out in front of my husband but I have noticed he is way too engrossed in the TV to even care about what I'm doing. LOL So far, the only person that even comments on my workout while I'm doing it is my 3 year old daughter. I suggest just doing it and the confidence will follow.
  • shess72
    shess72 Posts: 52 Member
    Options

Thank you SO much for posting this link Prattiger65! Made me cry. I walked a 16 minute mile this weekend (well 3.8 of them) with the idea that I will work up to a jog. For some reason I'm not all that self concious about walking but the thought of running....
    I am happy that I will now have this story in my head.
  • LA_mummy
    LA_mummy Posts: 4
    Options
    I think we all have to start somewhere. Remember that everyone at the gym is there for their own reason/insecurities, chances are they arent focusing on you, but on themselves.
    I do know how you feel, i felt the same way when i started at the gym to get over my insecurities I started at a womens only gym to build my confidence!

Good luck!
  • klalsaleh
    klalsaleh Posts: 13
    Options
    dont worry about others. find a way to zone out.. with music or just talking to yourself(not moving your mouth of course) just to motivate yourself and remind yourself not to worry what others think...i NEVER judge anyone working out and i doubt there are many people that do. everyone working out has a common interest in mind whether they are super fit or not.
  • The only thing I think about when laying my eyes upon another at the gym is:

A). Are they wearing underwear
    B). Did they get laid today
    C). If they would be fun to make whoopee with on one of the benches
    D). What they are listening to
    E). All of the above

:bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • imarlett
    imarlett Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Remember one thing, no one is going to pay attention to you because they are busy doing their own thing. More than likely, no one is going to notice you.
  • wmuschetto
    wmuschetto Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one is going to care but you :)

This!

I was worried about the same thing when I first became a fitness junky. But I soon realized noone really pays any mind. And those that do, well... haters gonna hate.
  • BreAnn267
    BreAnn267 Posts: 46
    Options
    My boyfriend makes fun of me for working out.....and I just make fun of him for not working out..... :smile:
  • donnaleighh
    donnaleighh Posts: 178 Member
    Options

Everyone needs to read this - OP - get out there - you are a hero!!
  • beahealthybee
    Options
    I have the same problem. Either do a home program (like Jillian Michael's 30 day shred - effective if you stick with it, and inexpensive) or something like biking. For me, biking isn't as bad as running because it's really hard to look silly while biking, and it's really hard not to have a semi-decent form. :)
  • Amy4President
    Amy4President Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I took my running out of the gym and outside. Then I realized that when I see someone trying to work out who is out of shape, all I think is, "Good for you!" The worst thing I heard when I was running? Someone yelled "Go Yankees" while I was wearing my Red Sox hat. People are less judgy Judy than you think :)
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Why not get him to workout with you? Then you'll both look equally "silly" and it will be more motivating (if you're at all competitive). My husband and I started doing Insanity together and it is silly (jumping around, jogging in place, etc.), but we're sticking with it and enjoying doing it together. Also, I've done way more "real" pushups than I would if he weren't next to me doing them! I know I would have copped out and done "girl" ones otherwise. :-)
  • MA_B
    MA_B Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I started by jogging on the spot during ad breaks on the TV! At first 30 seconds was enough and it slowly worked up to being able to do the 3 minutes! At that point I decided that I would jog a bit while I walk the dogs - I do take them out late at night. I've just got in from a 30 min jog/walk! I'd never have done that if I hadn't started small during the ad breaks!

Every little helps and start small until you're comfortable and build on that. All the best YOU CAN DO IT!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I run on the streets. in my mind, I'm like a gazelle. in reality, I'm that rhino at the back of the stampede on Jumangi. ;) but, at 5:30am, there aren't too many people out to judge me, and I just let my inner rhino-gazelle go. :)

omg that's funny but also inspiring - I need to find my inner gazelle! :bigsmile:
  • moonbeam_muffin
    Options
    Yeah I have the same problem...but it helps to exercise in the privacy of your bedroom or something
  • MNTom
    MNTom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Walking briskly for an hour is all you need to start out. Almost anyone can do that. If you get tired, slow down just a bit, but try to get in at least 45 minutes.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Believe me when you are outdoors working out no one is looking at you. If they are who cares you will never cross paths with them again. Go for it!