Embarrassed to work out?

Options

Replies

• jdavidson30
    jdavidson30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I hit my goal weight last March and have managed to keep it off. I'm doing a little victory dance in my head right now :0) To be honest with you, the people that I admire the most at the gym are the ones who have weight to lose and are doing something about it. A little over a year ago I was 40 lbs over weight and every workout was a struggle for me. I kept showing up day after day and lost the weight.
    So to the people with thirty, forty, fifty or more pounds to lose you are the true heros in the gym. Just get in there and rock it, dont stop moving!!!! The hardest part is waiting for the weight to come off, but be patient it will!!!!

Oh, I lowered my goal to 125 lbs.......shooting for the stars:smile:
  • Amandawith3kids
    Amandawith3kids Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    i dont like working out in front of anyone, esp my hubby. i want him to think of me as a sex kitten, not a flappy sweaty wildebeast.
  • fitandworking
    fitandworking Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get it but in regards to you first issue of other people watching you work out, honestly they most often will be impressed by your efforts. I go to the gym and even after losing a good amount of weight, I'm far from fit or anywhere close to most of the girls going there. However I have had people there that I have never talked to comment on the weight I have lost. I think anyone who transforms their body in any way (meaning most "regulars" at a gym or running on the streets) understand the dedication it takes to work out and stick with it. Anyone else around you who would ever judge you are people who are probably to lazy to work out themselves. In regards to your boyfriend, it is always good to have some alone time regardless of why so I would suggest that if it really bothers you him being there. Otherwise you might want to consider having him join you in the working out. If he's busy, then he wouldn't be as focused on what you're doing and it could help keep both of you accountable for working out and might even be fun!
  • sunshinenjjr
    sunshinenjjr Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I have to tell you most people don't care what you look like when your out on the streets walking, running, or biking. I've been a runner for six years and in that time I've seen people of all shapes and sizes out exercising. Why worry about what other people think anyway. Just go out there and do your thing. This is about you and your journey. Not them. The sooner you start the sooner you will feel comfortable. It won't take long. Just do it.
  • damianstefpete
    Options
    Most people looking at you - wish they were as motivated as you and will admire you. They are thinking in there mind "I need to do that.
  • Ryguy08
    Ryguy08 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I used to feel self conscious and embarrassed at the gym too and it caused me to be inconsistent with my fitness. What has really helped me though is at home workout programs like P90X and Body Beast. Insanity is also very popular, but I haven't tried it personally. That way, you can workout in the comfort of your own home and not have to pay for a gym membership and drive there all the time. Not saying it works for everybody, but it's been a Godsend for me.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    When I felt like this it was a fear of "failure" - what if I exercised and did not get the results I wanted? The fear of not changing or trying eventually won out :) and I have gotten off my *kitten* and started moving.

Start within your comfort zone and ramp it up. If you want to build up to running / jogging then start with something you are comfortable with - walk briskly at first then slowly introduce 60 secs walking / 60 secs jogging or similar over a time period you might make this 120 sec jog / 60 sec walking etc... ( Go with a plan! You will actually look "cool" IE: like you have a plan and have more confidence if you set out with one) . If you choose to do weights same thing - work with a weight well in your limits to start off with and focus on posture and form as you gain confidence increase the weight or whatever, ask advice and don't just copy other people i see way too many people trying to use weights that are obviously forcing them out of a good posture thinking it looks cooler to go heavier - this is not smart!

The aim here is more for you to gain confidence in yourself - make a plan execute it and adjust as you gain confidence. You will gain your confidence once you get started. Your form / posture is the primary first focus learn how to execute your exercise correctly - this will lessen your risk of injury and by default you will feel / look to be more in control and confident.
  • freckleparty
    Options
    I know this is hardly a consolation and probably won't help you, but I really feel you should get over the whole public thing. When I first started going to the gym I felt so embarrassed I felt like everyone was watching my stumble about and not know how to use anything. One way I got better is by using the Nike Training App on my phone in my bedroom when my fin ace wasn't home. It has 5 and 10 minute workouts that are fast and teach you three or four exercises you can do on a mat in the gym. When I started doing them with the weights and weight balls, I was still self conscious but it got better and now I feel like a pro cause I have a routine. That's a big thing too. Get a routine or get three routines, and you won't feel lost when you are at a gym. or at a park or wherever you can afford to workout. You just focus on your routine and not other people and you will start to see yourself feeling better about the whole, not to mention looking better, since that's the point.
    Also, there is this guy at my gym, he is a bigger man and he always gets on the stair master and he always is sweating bullets trying really hard as he holds himself up on the railings picking up his feet one step at a time. I KNOW he feels self conscience, you can see it all over his scared tired face, but he still is there every time I am there, pushing through, and I try not to look at him so I don't make him feel self conscious, but I wish I could tell him "good for you don't stop now, you can do it, you are awesome, i am a total stranger and I am so proud of you everyday I see you"

Of course I will never say this but I want to. So if you are embarrassed, just remember, most people do not judge people negatively when they see them working out. Really, most people are empresses, no matter what you look like now, it's awesome that you are trying to stay healthy for the future. Try hard not to be self conscious about the public work out thing. I can understand the bf embarrassment, but I bet if you asked him he would think it was hot you are trying hard to look good.

PS my aunt always says, "what other people think of you is none of your business!"

Good luck, don't quit
  • orangeskiesinlove
    orangeskiesinlove Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your amazing supportive words (and making me laugh at myself!)

I so much amazing advice and great articles to read!

It makes me feel so much better about just getting up and going for it, I guess after the first time doing it I will gain more and more confidence as I go along! I will keep all of your kind words in my head, such an amazing supportive community here!

Thank you all so much again for giving me a good push in the behind!

When I finally get to my goal I will have all of you's to thank for your support! x
  • MissGamerGirl
    MissGamerGirl Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Honestly, no one is going to care but you :)

This couldn't be any more true.

I'm a month into weight lifting and I literally was a basket case of nerves once I saw all the people in the heavy lifting section. I was convinced they would stare and judge, telling their buddy next to them how idiotic I looked.

Honestly, TRULY, they really keep to themselves. I used to run directly on the side of the street when I was doing C25k and people just drive on about their day. There were rare occasions that I would get the horn honk booty call, but eh, what can you do. LOL. ;)
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else embarrassed to work out? I can't afford the Gym and I feel as though I will be judged if I try to learn how to run/jog/bike on the streets, panting and just generally looking like a knob. So I was thinking of doing blogilaties beginners work out calender to try and get in some shape before taking to the streets but I'm petrified of exercising in front of my partner, I don't even want him in the house while I'm doing it, but he just wont leave me be.

How do I overcome my insecurity and just do it? Because this journey is more about losing body fat than weight and that's only going to happen with moving my but.

No serious gym goer gives a sht about you, they do their thing and you do yours.
  • lindseyas1
    lindseyas1 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    No one cares as much as you do. I never notice other runners unless it's to admire how much faster they are (ok, unless they're the shirtless, muscular guys.....) I find that headphones help me get in the zone and cut out other people too. IT's kind of an "if I don't notice them, they won't notice me" illusion :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I was like that to begin with. Would only workout if nobody was home. Outside I would do it at night. Or if someone was home I'd do it out the back in the rain if I had to.

Now I realize that nobody cares what I look like. I sure as hell dont. I'm all red faced, sweat dripping outta everywhere & I just think stuf it...I'm doing what I got to do.
  • HockeyGirl306
    HockeyGirl306 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I get this way too! I know I could jog if I just tried it more often and got my endurance up. But then I get too self conscious about what I look like running and go against it. I have to think of it this way, if I saw another person like me on the street jogging, what would I think of that person? I would not be judgmental in the slightest. I would actually be silently encouraging that person in my head.
  • Nice2BFitAgain
    Nice2BFitAgain Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Is anyone else embarrassed to work out? I can't afford the Gym and I feel as though I will be judged if I try to learn how to run/jog/bike on the streets, panting and just generally looking like a knob. So I was thinking of doing blogilaties beginners work out calender to try and get in some shape before taking to the streets but I'm petrified of exercising in front of my partner, I don't even want him in the house while I'm doing it, but he just wont leave me be.

How do I overcome my insecurity and just do it? Because this journey is more about losing body fat than weight and that's only going to happen with moving my but.

I have to say I am always impressed when I see unfit folks out trying to improve themselves. I agree with the others. Don't think so much about what others think.
  • silenceinspace
    silenceinspace Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I thought the same thing when I took my running out of the gym and outside. Then I realized that when I see someone trying to work out who is out of shape, all I think is, "Good for you!" The worst thing I heard when I was running? Someone yelled "Go Yankees" while I was wearing my Red Sox hat. People are less judgy Judy than you think :)

I think that's pretty judgy myself! (I'm a Sox fan.)
  • hiyomi
    hiyomi Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    Don't be! There are so many people at the gym, quite big, including myself and they work to their hearts content! If you care enough to change the way you look, you won't care the way others look at you. (which they probably don't either way)
  • loriemn
    loriemn Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    my ex always would laugh and say"it aint doing them any good" this coming from a guy that will eat pizza,breadsticks and cheese sticks for every meal his entire life and not get over 180lbs! it was very annoying,,anyway,,I always said,"at least they are out there trying to make a difference" so look at it which ever way you need to and just start doing it! who cares what other people think,I dont!
  • Leah_Alexis
    Leah_Alexis Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I was embarrassed walking on my street and the thought of stepping foot in a gym was pretty overwhelming. I finally told myself to suck it up and I walked into a gym. If I surrounded myself with people who were focusing on being healthy then they likely wouldn’t be so quick to judge - my thinking anyways. We all have to start somewhere. Honestly, it was mostly in my head - no one cares - I find they are more supportive that you are doing something to better yourself. Last year I wasn’t confident enough to run outside. I’ve got plans this spring (once the snow melts and the ice is off the sidewalks) I’ll be taking my jogging outside. I too didn’t want to work in front of my husband. I didn’t need him to hear my body parts slapping around…. Meh. LOL Whenever I’m working out at home he watches me. I can’t get rid of him. He apparently finds it sexy to watch me workout...
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    1) What other people think about you is none of your business. They could be staring into space thinking deep thoughts and you just happen to be in their line of sight (this happens to me all the time - so embarrassing). And even if they are watching you and judging you, that's their problem, not yours. Same goes for people who holler rude or trashy comments to you from their cars.

2) I used to get embarrassed working out in front of my Hubby too but now I just laugh it off and let it go. If he dares to tease you, challenge him to join you and see if he can keep up!

3) Even Olympic athletes are shy at first, you have to just get over it.
    Source: Maine magazine, April 2011, article titled Running Into Yourself.
    quote from Joan "Joanie" Benoit Samuelson, gold medal winner, Women's Olympic Marathon, 1984
    "When I first started running, I was so embarrassed I'd walk when cars passed me. I'd pretend I was looking at the flowers."

Stop looking at the flowers and get moving!!