Is lunch meat okay to eat?

Options
13»

Replies

• GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    Two things I would keep in mind--high sodium content and the use of nitrates and nitrites to cure the meat. Those two additives have been linked to increased risk of colon cancer. So, if you have any family history of colorectal cancer, I'd be a little more conservative in the amount you eat. But, there are many lunch meats on the market now that do not use those ingredients--you may want to look for those.

For myself, I limit lunch meat to a couple times a week--if that. It's just not something I love to eat.
  • stacek4
    stacek4 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    What about cooking turkey or chicken at the beginning of the week, then slicing it up when needed?
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    if you eat that much deli meat cooking your own roasts and investing in a deli slicer is prob a good budget decision.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Yes.

If I'm going to get fast food, my favorite option is a 6" turkey breast sandwich from Subway. Yes, I eat it on bread. *gasp in horror*
    With cheese *bigger gasp*.

And even mayo *faint*

ETA: Now I really want to go to Subway, but I'm broke. :'(
  • Expect_The_Worst
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the thread.

I FIFY
  • Simonnnna
    Simonnnna Posts: 49
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the bread.

It's thin whole wheat bread, you need some carbs in your diet, I'm not concerned
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options

THeres nothing wrong with carbs!! People should stop thinking that!
  • SummerOBX8
    Options
    Have you ever tried Boar's Head brand? Their lower sodium turkey breast and lower sodium lacey swiss, is awesome!

A bit expensive but tastes so good and the sodium is 1/5 of the Oscar Mayer/Hillshire Farms products.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I've read through this whole thing, and I still don't understand why lunch meat would be bad.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Flat out NO!!! So processed and full of crap

so no milk, frozen foods, etc etc, for you? processed also, my dear.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    I'd be more concerned about the carbs in the thread.

I FIFY

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lunch meat on a sandwich is ok for lunch, just as a bowl of cereal is ok for breakfast.

eta: and should not be considered a cheat meal.

Lolz. Yep. As long as the whole sandwich doesn't go over 250 calories, she's fine.

I just made it then...225 calories

2 strips turkey bacon, 1 eg.g, 2 slices of tomatoes...all on that "bad" whole wheat bread...

My go to breakfast
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    yes, it fine to eat. Like the poster above said...if it fits in your daily goals, then go for it!

I have been watching my sodium intake a little bit more so I also like to baked chicken breasts, then slice them really thin to make my own "deli meat" for sandwiches or wraps. Before baking I sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. Not as many preservatives and lower sodium too. Put the slices in a container in the fridge and they will be good for about three days. Just another option for when I have time to make my own.

I love it when I find chicken breast "reduced for quick sale". Buy a few packs and stock up. You could also do the same with pork tenderloin.

HTH! :smile:

Check your sodium level in your chicken...most of it has been shot up with a sodium solution...

I have started to look for the low sodium alternatives. It costs more but since I have BP issues it has been well worth the price.

I had no idea that the sodium levels were so high...it's just chicken...they say that it helps to keep it "plump"!
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    WOW...
    People deli meats and bread are not that EVIL as everyone is making it out to be.. Everyone has different goals and need different daily intakes. Take a look at what your intake is.. is the meat fatty.. is the meat high in sodium.. If you want to go further is it low in nitrates and additives ets.. Just educate yourself on what your eating and you can figure out how much of something you should be eating to stay with in your goals, Also your goals should not just be calories.. keep other factors in the back of your mind, fat, sodium, etc, Peak at the labels

Long story short you will be perfectly fine eating deli meat, especially Turkey like you've mentioned. If your carb intake fits with the bread your eating go for it. Just see where your numbers are at if you're logging because that will be your best help/platform

Goodluck
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    yes, it fine to eat. Like the poster above said...if it fits in your daily goals, then go for it!

I have been watching my sodium intake a little bit more so I also like to baked chicken breasts, then slice them really thin to make my own "deli meat" for sandwiches or wraps. Before baking I sprinkle with garlic powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper, etc. Not as many preservatives and lower sodium too. Put the slices in a container in the fridge and they will be good for about three days. Just another option for when I have time to make my own.

I love it when I find chicken breast "reduced for quick sale". Buy a few packs and stock up. You could also do the same with pork tenderloin.

HTH! :smile:

Check your sodium level in your chicken...most of it has been shot up with a sodium solution...

I have started to look for the low sodium alternatives. It costs more but since I have BP issues it has been well worth the price.

I had no idea that the sodium levels were so high...it's just chicken...they say that it helps to keep it "plump"!

yes! good point! I compare brands too and it is amazing how much sodium is in that "natural solution" they inject the chicken with.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to track and kill a lion with your bare hands. . The meat is lean and low in sodium and you'll get a good burn fighting him to the death (if you survive)
  • AmyP619
    AmyP619 Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Your best bet is to track and kill a lion with your bare hands. . The meat is lean and low in sodium and you'll get a good burn fighting him to the death (if you survive)

I prefer Cheetah meat, myself, but to each their own. :wink:
  • getlost96
    Options
    I use the Arnold Nature's Harvest light 10g carb per 2 slices... kind of lot but it is only 40 calories a slice
  • SunKissed1989
    SunKissed1989 Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Cannae beat a good old fashioned ham sandwich for lunch...or even turkey breast slices - I had a turkey breast slice (3 slices) roll for my lunch today - add some lettuce for a bit of crunch...cheeky wee tomato on the side. Ugh, I'm getting hungry for another one right now...
  • bl1nk6
    bl1nk6 Posts: 175
    Options
    i don't think its ever good to eat it, processed meat is bad .. it would never pass my lips and i love my meat.