Suggest good beginner weight loss workout (no cardio)?!

Options

Replies

• muaythaijunkie
    muaythaijunkie Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Why not look into an MMA or martial arts class. There are many out there for beginners or if not into wrestling try muay thai or boxing. To me they don't feel like cardio, because the classes are always different and it is a great stress reliever to hit a punching bag. Plus the classes are in group form where you will interact with people through holding pads, so its good way to meet new people.
    Boxing will of course be mostly focusing on the arms, or try Muay Thai which is kick boxing from Thailand that involves punches, kicks, knees and elbows. Its a great total body workout, and if done properly you will burn 1000 calories a class if not more. It worked great for me as I lost 60 lbs in 4 months through 3 classes a week.

Best of luck to you.
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Walking is probably best for you. Outdoor walking so you don't get bored. Sounds like excuses to me.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Was not looking for "well then give up now answers" and other negative feedback.

Was hoping for an example workout that I could follow tonight!

No time to take it slow.

Ok...Why don't you actually read PAST what you feel is the negativity???? She gave you plenty of good advice!!! So did many other people.

The simple fact of the matter is that "NOTHING changes, if nothing changes." OR: "If you keep doing what you've always done, you'll keep getting what you've always gotten."

Decide today what you will add into your life and what you will take out of it. It can be as simple as: I plan to stop drinking my calories, and park at the back of the parking lot and always take the stairs.

That's POSITIVE advice!!! Those are two very easy fixes that won't ruin your whole "energy conservation"/comfort zone philosophy. :bigsmile:
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You're going to have to put SOME work and effort into it if you want any kind of result.

All I see is excuses.

I think what you're looking for is something with a quick fix, because you "don't have time" and you don't want it to be "too hard". Sorry, but that's just not how fitness works. You have to put in the work, and it's HARD work. Yes, it becomes easier over time. But there's nothing you can do for that instant gratification you're looking for.

Start out slow and work your way up. Otherwise you're going to end up injured trying to go balls to the wall on an activity you have no experience in. People don't just wake up one day able to run a full marathon. People don't just wake up able to deadlift 400 lbs. They started from the very beginning and worked their butts off to accomplish those things. They put in the time and effort. And so should you. Go to the gym. Speak with a trainer. Do SOME kind of activity, whether you like it or not. Try literally EVERYTHING until you find the activities that you like.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    I hate walking (inside or inside), jogging, elypticals, etc - it's sooo boring and I can't stick with it. I like to hike but can only do that when it's warm (not right now). No swimming near me.

I have a gym membership which I never use. I know circuit training is great since it's high intensity (better than cardio I heard).

But not sure routine or exercises I should be doing. Don't want to wander around gym trying things out and looking like a dummy.

OMG so many comments, so little time...really dude?! I'm not gonna sugar coat or what have you...you're overweight and ANY form of exercise will be work!! You might as well just not do anything, get fatter and die of a massive heart attack with such a "woe is me" attitude!! That's the reality!! If you don't put forth the effort, then eat the damn donuts!!

sniff! I love tough love.........
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer group classes at all? Maybe try signing up for a few different ones so you can test them out and see what you like.
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Ok, I think everyone else on this thread has covered that you're going to have to put out some effort and it isn't going to be easy. I only do yoga for my fitness, so I'm going to say try yoga! However. What worked for me was making fitness a GAME. It's a lot easier to stick to something when there are goals and progress.

Do you have a Wii? Or an Xbox? Could you get "EA Active Personal Trainer".. can be done in your own home. Super fun. You get medals and prizes and it tracks your accomplishments. If gameification won't work, go to your gym and get with a personal trainer. Get taught how to lift!! :) No cardio there. Either way, try to have an open mind. You never know what will pique your interest until you try it. Get brave! You can do this.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Suggest good beginner weight loss workout (no cardio)?!

Needs to be something that I will want to keep doing - I get un-motivated quickly if things are too difficult.

well give up now.

since you already admit you don't want to do anything "to" hard.

... because guess what'- it's hard. There will be more days than not that it's easier to NOT do the thing. If it was easy- we would all look like the fitness models off the Shape and Men's Health Magazines- but that's just no the way it works.

Successful people are the ones who are not motivated by emotions but the ones that keep doing it day in and day out despite the fact they are no longer having fun. I'ts not about "FUN" i'ts about doing the task- the end goal is more important than doing the more "FUN" thing right here right now.

So either decide you are going to have to be uncomfortable- and be okay with it... or just don't bother since you aren't committed enough to be uncomfortable to change.

I'm going to have to agree with this too......You have to REALLY want it and do what it takes.

Edited to add...the Wii is a great idea. Easy way to sneak in cardio with games like just dance, etc.
  • khkjkk
    khkjkk Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Why not look into an MMA or martial arts class. There are many out there for beginners or if not into wrestling try muay thai or boxing. To me they don't feel like cardio, because the classes are always different and it is a great stress reliever to hit a punching bag. Plus the classes are in group form where you will interact with people through holding pads, so its good way to meet new people.
    Boxing will of course be mostly focusing on the arms, or try Muay Thai which is kick boxing from Thailand that involves punches, kicks, knees and elbows. Its a great total body workout, and if done properly you will burn 1000 calories a class if not more. It worked great for me as I lost 60 lbs in 4 months through 3 classes a week.

Best of luck to you.

^ What he said.
  • Always_Smiling_D
    Always_Smiling_D Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Good Luck... seems you are placing a lo of limitations on yourself... Motivations comes from self.
  • metlr
    metlr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Finding exercise that is fun is a good idea. It's way more interesting to go do something that you love that just happens to be exercise, rather than trying to force yourself to do something that you can't stand.

You might consider checking out a climbing gym. If you can find a bouldering gym in your area, I'd recommend trying that. Bouldering doesn't require any ropes or training. You can just go in and go at your own pace. There's something for all levels, there's always a variety, and it's a really good full-body workout. I can't really say much about calorie burn. But it is super fun and you won't even notice that you're exercising. Well, until the next day. :)

Good luck.
  • CarrieMac28
    CarrieMac28 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    try the hot5 app if you have an iphone (not sure if they have android option). It's a 5 minute workout. You can start with a couple easy options you can do at home or at a gym, and as you improve you can use the medium or hard options. I tried the easy one and had to pause it a couple times, but it went by pretty quickly and I can choose to change it up when I'm bored and need something new. It's worth a try anyway, since it's a free app.
  • molonlabe762
    molonlabe762 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes through calorie deficit. E.g.: 1. eat less, 2. do more to increase the calorie deficit (cardio), or 3. both. For what it's worth, I lost the first 30 lbs. without exercising, at all. I just practiced portion control.

Same here, ran for the first couple weeks but after that just kept a defecit and im almost 50 lbs down now.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is about a calories deficit. You DO NOT NEED TO EXERCISE TO CREATE A CALORIE DEFICIT. Just set your MFP stat to Sedentary and your goal to the number of pounds you want to lose per week and then eat to that calorie amount.

..... you will most likely be very hungry... like all the time...but like everyone else said. It ain't easy. If it was we wouldn't need this site or tools like this and there wouldn't be a gazillion dollar industry all geared towards people losing weight!
  • collegegirl713
    collegegirl713 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I think you have a lot of good suggestions here. Starting a workout progrom is difficult. I have lost 50 lbs by basically creating a calorie deficit, BUT now I need to add something. I think the main problem with most people losing weight (me included) is that their whole body is not connected on the idea of losing weight. Your brain may be telling you to lose weight because of ______(fill in the blank), but until your heart and/or soul is into it, you are fighting with yourself, which for me lead to me overeating due to stress. I think have small goals, joining some groups on here, and just moving are great starters. Over Thanksgiving, I was in a group challenge to lose 15 pounds by Thanksgiving and I did it! BUT being competive may not work for you. There are several things I think you should try. Don't just cruise on a treadmill.

~Try downloading an app for a C25K which can help motivate you and create mini goals while you are on the treadmill (I know it is cardio).
    ~Try Wii, or putting on some music and just lettin' loose! I dance with my 1.5 year old all the time and I can't tell you how much energy and steps I take just having fun.
    ~I have downloaded the 7 minute app, which is a HIIT program. It will bust your butt, but it is over in 7 minutes AND you can repeat it as much as you want.
    ~Take on a 30 day challenge (i.e. Plank, squat, push-up, etc)
    ~Watch how much you are idle during the day. I have a Jawbone UP and if I sit longer than 30 minutes, it vibrates to let me know. I had no idea how much I was just sitting all day (even at a desk job). Go to the bathroom on the 3rd floor if you work in the basement and take the stairs.
    ~Go to the gym. There are people there who can help you OR just observe a little bit. Some of the workouts people do inspire me to push myself harder.

BOTTOM LINE: There are lots of things to "exercise" with, but you will (at some point) need to put some effort in if you want to be ripped/healthy. The hardest thing is to start.

Quote: "Yesterday you said today!"
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    Weight loss comes through calorie deficit. E.g.: 1. eat less, 2. do more to increase the calorie deficit (cardio), or 3. both. For what it's worth, I lost the first 30 lbs. without exercising, at all. I just practiced portion control.

Same here, ran for the first couple weeks but after that just kept a defecit and im almost 50 lbs down now.

Lol--I ran for 2 weeks, too. Then, decided I was never going to be an avid runner. Weight lifting, though...now, I LOVE that. Who knew?
  • JojoEffeckt164
    JojoEffeckt164 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Okay. I give you my 5 cents as well. I can agree with a lot of people here.

- If you want to lose weight you need to make a lifestyle change! I failed on every diet until I came here and made the decision to change my lifestyle!

- I only had a calorie deficit the beginning. Now weight loss becomes harder for me. I started doing workouts and got a heart monitor to control how much I got out of it (I count it with the Endomondo app)

- so here is the part you wont like most: Cardio keeps your heart rate in the fat burning zone! during weight lifting my heart rate is usually about 110. during cardio its between 140 and 180! You can vary your speed and stay in the fat burning zone that way.

- So if you have no time... -> Cardio! Another great effect: It reduces the chance for lose skin! You dont want lose skin, do you?

- here the part you might like: I do cardio dance workouts from youtube. nobody sees me so I can look super dumb and just have fun.It´s absolutly incredible how fast your stamia builds up if you just keep doing it. And its for free! Don´t feel bad if you can´t catch it up all at once. I cannot do that. Just keep moving!

- So here is my Fatburn playlist. Do one every day and you will get quicker results than with just eating within your limit :glasses: :glasses:

- Bad news again. It´s really exhausting, I sweat the hell out of myself, but it´s fun

If you don´t want to do anything I can only agree to the others... Stay overweighted! Die early! Sounds hard but that´s actually the case. You are playing with your life here. Do you really want to throw something so unique as your life away because you have been lazy? I bet you don´t! So give it a try and message me how you like it
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    you live in Colorado there are a million things to do -- You can hike in the winter...get some snow shoes

try a rock climbing gym or bouldering
    join a pick up league for a sport you may be interested in
    kickboxing?
    martial art?
    my friend joined gymnastics gym so he can learn to do flips and stuff
    snowsports?
  • rworton
    rworton Posts: 28
    Options
    If you want to see signifigant weight loss along with calorie reduction you've got to move to lose my friend, sedentary is not good and causes weight gain. So if you're truly bored I suggest you purchase a Wii & play activity games like bowling, tennis & other sports, If that still bores you put some music on and dance like no one's watching you! get Motivated and get Moving-hut hut!!
  • Matt_1972
    Matt_1972 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed these 2 programs
    http://www.maxcapacitytraining.com/ I'm up to week 5 and enjoying this
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/ I did this one for a while as well

I have lost about 16kg's now so about 35lbs in your money over the past 18 months. The thing that I did that has made the biggest difference is learn how to cook. Not putting crap in my mouth has made by far the biggest difference.
    Try the workouts to increase your strength but eat better to reduce your girth.