9 weeks of work and no weight loss. What's wrong?!?

Options

Replies

• ggeise14
    ggeise14 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    You are right -- it's not a one size fits all. Everyone is different to a certain extent. Check out the 40-something group and guidelines. We can't all ignore watching our carbs, especially if they are triggers for too much. And veggies should be the choice over fruits. Natural sugar or not, not all bodies process it the same.

The above suggestions will work, don't give up,good luck!
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Like others have mentioned, cut back a little on your calories. It looks like you're net calories are around 1800 per day, so drop about 10% - 15% (so about 1620 to 1510). Also, I know this sounds crazy, but also eat MORE!

Yes, you heard me. Eat throughout the day, not just three meals. Split your alloted calories into 5 different sittings instead of just three. You'll see a difference soon enough.

Good luck!!

Eat more? No no no! She's already eating too much.. Between meals and snacks, she's eating plenty, really.
  • kuderstadt
    kuderstadt Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I think it looks like you're doing great at maintaining ~ which is awesome, since finding maintenance after weight loss is hard (for me anyways!).

I think you most has been suggested already, but I would start some weight lifting, up protein, reduce carbs, reduce overall caloric intake.

I would personally watch sugars too ~ I do believe sugar has a negative effect on my personal weight loss goals as it seems to trigger cravings so I personally am very careful with it (including fruit sugar), but I know not everyone seems to have that problem! I see lots of people enjoying treats and ice cream and I just think that's awesome for them, but it doesn't work for me… :-(

Wishing you all the best!
  • michellewelch2010
    michellewelch2010 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Lower your carbs and increase protein... I get good results with 40% Carbs, 40% Protein, 20% Fat. But you can pick something around there... Just change it from what you are getting now.
  • JerseyGirlinTN
    JerseyGirlinTN Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Folks, she's using a high quality Heart Rate Monitor. If anything, her exercise calories are spot-on.

I just broke through my own 4 month long plateau by switching up the types of foods I eat. I'm a habit eater: same breakfast, same 2 or three lunches, same 2 or 3 dinners all the time. I changed it up and it worked. Note: I did NOT change my workouts, my calorie intake, nor my macros, so I was NOT eating at maintenance. I think my body just needed the change.

Just my $.02
  • kimberlycarlile
    kimberlycarlile Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your response. I actually did say that there are a couple of days I didn't log. But in 9 weeks, there are only a couple of those days like that.

Also, I'm using an HRM when I exercise (a good one--made by Polar), and so I feel I'm getting a good count of calories burned.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    What you're eating is what I need to maintain, maybe try cutting by 10% or so?
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    You make excellent food choices! I wish I could be as disciplined and healthy as you are. You're just eating too much. Knock it back by 200 calories a day and see how you do?
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Just lower your calories and see. You're eating 1800, try 1400 or 1500. You're just eating too much. Has nothing to do with carbs. That's just ridiculous.

This.
    I agree with everyone else that you've found your maintenance level and to try lowering calories a bit, but how many carbs you eat has nothing to do with it. At all.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    You have received a lot of great suggestions, but also be aware that what worked in your 20's and 30's doesn't neccessarily work in your 40's. I have found that I can't eat the same way I did in my 20's, still workout and lose weight.
  • allbarrett
    allbarrett Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Reiterating posters above: you are eating at maintenance. I'm a bit younger than you are, appear to be close to the same height, and lift 3 days per week (3 x 1hr, with a trainer) and run 2 days per week (2 x 1-1.5 hr)...sad as it is, my maintenance level isn't much more than 1800 calories/day (empirically determined over the last 6 months). If you aren't losing weight, you have to drop the calories-in side (eat less) of the equation or increase the calories-out side (move more). Two choices.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    The best thing you could do is stop adding exercise calories, and eat consistently and workout normally, and find how many calories you should eat to lose 1 lb per week, instead of fluctuating all the time and having no idea.

I was thinking along these lines as well.

IMHO go off and average your food intake over the past 9 weeks, subtract 200 calories from that number, and set that as a custom goal in MFP with a balanced macro split (35, 35, 30 or something similar depending on your food preferences).

Don't bother with tracking exercise and trying to eat back calories, etc. as long as your activity level is similar to what it has been over the past 9 weeks.

Do this for 2 weeks and see if you start losing. If not, subtract another 100 and try for 2 more weeks.

Also, it never hurts to re-evaluate how accurately you are logging. This would be a good read: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Folks, she's using a high quality Heart Rate Monitor. If anything, her exercise calories are spot-on.

I just broke through my own 4 month long plateau by switching up the types of foods I eat. I'm a habit eater: same breakfast, same 2 or three lunches, same 2 or 3 dinners all the time. I changed it up and it worked. Note: I did NOT change my workouts, my calorie intake, nor my macros, so I was NOT eating at maintenance. I think my body just needed the change.

Just my $.02

I can guarantee you that if you were not losing weight, and now you are, that you were eating more calories then and when you change what you were eating, you are now eating fewer calories. It happens to a lot of people. Highly unlikely that you changed up what you were eating and didn't change your macros nor your calorie intake.

If OP is not losing, she's not eating at a calorie deficit. Period.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    I agree with knocking back your calories & weigh / measure more carefully.
  • rileamoyer
    rileamoyer Posts: 2,411 Member
    Options
    Not sure I am much help but as an older female, what worked for me: Used 1200 as my base and then added back most of my exercise calories. I allowed for occasional feast days. Zig sagging with feast days seemed to help break plateaus. I keep the same philosophy, I eat what I want but in moderation. As an older woman I find you have to work harder, and with arthritis it adds to t the difficulty. The last 10 lbs was the hardest and I still struggle with them coming and going depending on the season (I have been in maintenance since 2011). I do yoga, walking and weights, but not real heavy due to my joint issues (would love to do heavy). So if you don't have weight training in your mix, add it, it really makes a difference!
  • Travelbug1955
    Travelbug1955 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try the Atkins diet? The website is free and they send you a getting started kit. It worked for me and I am sure it will work for you.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Welcome to your late 40s. When we women get to this age, our hormones start changing. Our metabolism drops and we stop processing sugars as well as we did when we were younger. This causes us to add weight in our midsection more. The stored fat in our midsection then reduces our ability to break down the sugar even more. It is a vicious cycle.

To combat this, we basically need fewer calories. As you see, you seem to be maintaining on around 1800 cals now. I am 50 and my maintenance is around 1500-1600, and I have 30 more lbs to lose at 5'6". It sucks, but that is the way it is.

Lowering your carb macros to 30-40% will help. Not everyone needs to be concerned with carbs/sugar, but for us women at this age, we generally do.
    Keep your protein and healthy fats around 30% each. We need the healthy fats to help with hormone levels and satiety. We need the protein to help us keep as much muscle mass as we can, to prevent even further reduction in our metabolism, and for healthy bones.
    Lowering your carb levels and replacing them with protein and fats will also help you be satisfied on fewer calories to aid in staying under goal. Lots of veggies help with that as well. Fiber is our friend!

Most of the women have also found that we cant eat back our exercise calories and be successful. At least not all of them. They can help cover an occasional treat or dinner out, but as a rule, don't eat back more than half at the most.

Starting a lifting program will help you tremendously. You can strengthen your muscles and bones to prevent bone loss during menopause, and it can help you prevent lowering your metabolism even further. You might also find that you like the size and shape of your body without even needing to lose down to your goal weight.

Hang in there. It is harder at this age, but certainly doable!:flowerforyou: