So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    sculptcha wrote: »
    thanks so much for this great information!

i'm on the heavier side (currently 200), and i've been trying to incorporate running into my walks, but i def tried to do too much too soon. the last few times i went out, i really had to reign myself in and slow down. i also got fitted for shoes to help with over-pronation, but after my walk/run yesterday (first day with the new shoes), i have an aching pain, just below the knee, on the inside of my tibia. (it's both legs, but the left is much worse, prob due to calcium deposits from when i fractured my leg as a toddler.) i assume these are the dreaded shin splints?

i guess my question is, would it be best to wait to start running until i've shed some more weight? has anyone 200+ been successful at running regularly without any injuries?

there is a soft track at the high school a block from my house, but it's currently under construction. it looks like they will be done soon, so i hope a softer surface will help. i have been running on concrete/asphalt.

i really don't want to give it up. i used to hate running so much, but now that i've gotten a little more into it, I LOVE IT. plus, i have these really great running shoes now...buuuut i don't want to over do it. these shin splints or arthritis or whatever it is has got me a little scared.

TL;DR: i am fat and i think i gave myself shin splints. should i take a break from running until i'm not so fat?

It doesn't sound like shin splints, those usually lower leg pain (or all along the shin bone). It may be what you have described before - and in that case things like icing the area after your runs are going to help more (also, might be a good idea to see an ortho about it). But if the shoes continue to make it worse - take them back. That's one of the reasons I advocate going to running stores - usually they have a 30 day return policy. But definitely try it a few more times to see if this is just your body getting used to the new routine.
  • mjfred2
    mjfred2 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks..
  • speedymama262
    speedymama262 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Running for 27 years here, thru 4 kids, grad school, life craziness, etc. I couldn't have said it any better. Excellent and thorough advice! Just want to add that as much as it sucks in the beginning, it is as awesome if you stick with it. It can truly become a good addiction, the one thing you look forward to all day. Mix it up with friends and fun and you'll set yourself up sticking with it for the long run.
  • mariel918
    mariel918 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you! This post is awesome. I am training to do my first half marathon. I've done a fair amount of 5k but the most I've probably run is around 4miles. I do tons of strength and conditioning work outs so this is super helpful for getting me started with my runs.
  • KittenTamer91
    KittenTamer91 Posts: 54 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Is it normal for women with wide hips to have trouble running? I have stamina but I often trip or tilt left and right. I see other ladies though who have more narrow hips than me and they don't have a thigh gap. They can run more steady and fast. I am not fat by the way.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Is it normal for women with wide hips to have trouble running? I have stamina but I often trip or tilt left and right. I see other ladies though who have more narrow hips than me and they don't have a thigh gap. They can run more steady and fast. I am not fat by the way.

As long as both of your legs are the same length you should be fine. Having a gap between your legs isn't a factor in how well you run.

giphy.gif

• ThickMcRunFast
    Options

Nope, doesn't have anything to do with running. If you are tripping or tilting to one side, chances are your posture is wrong or your core is weak.
  • Danixkm
    Danixkm Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for this!
  • Childfree1991
    Childfree1991 Posts: 145 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    nice advice
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    It won't cause you to run slower, or the things you mention above, but it does increase the angle of the upper leg bone from the hip to the knee joint. This can cause increased strain on the knee, particularly in the early stages of getting in shape.

• Clarence41
    Clarence41 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Any tips on breathing patterns/ or techniques? I'm planning on running a half marathon in October. I'm up to running 3 to 5 miles so far.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    smoot41 wrote: »
    Any tips on breathing patterns/ or techniques? I'm planning on running a half marathon in October. I'm up to running 3 to 5 miles so far.
    Here is advice from a legendary coach.

“Breathe through your mouth. Breathe through your nose. Suck the air in through your ears, if you can.”
    Arthur Lydiard

Breath in whatever way you are comfortable with. Breathing in synch with your steps works for many. Four steps in four steps out for easy pace. Two in two out for hsrder running. One in one out for sprinting.
  • mishathompson
    mishathompson Posts: 6 Member
    Options

K
  • BL_Coleman
    BL_Coleman Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I have a question about shoes. I generally cannot go to a runners store. I wear a 7.5/8 womens wide and they NEVER have them. How would you recommend I go about trying to get a decent pair.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @BL_Coleman - I would still go to a running store and ask to be fitted for running shoes, letting them know you are new to running. They should measure your feet, look at your gait and help determine if you need stability shoes, neutral shoes, etc. and recommend the correct shoe/size. Many running shoes are wider to begin with and many don't even offer a 'wide' version. I also have wide feet and wear a wide shoe in most regular shoes. I have not had any issue finding comfortable running shoes that fit well. If they are too narrow tell the salesperson and ask if they can recommend a brand the runs wider. If that still doesn't work, ask them to recommend brands that do come in a wide width and if they could order for you so you could come in and try them on. Make sure they have a try and return policy. Most running stores offer at least a 30 day period.
  • earthartjewelry
    Options
    I have the same problem & have found amazingly comfortable shoes at The Walking Company. They have locations all over the place & you can view their selection online as well. I do recommend actually going to a store as they find the best match for you. Also, unless you really need them, I skip the inserts they try to sell. The shoes work great for me by themselves!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had signed up for a 5K, started to train for it, then got super busy and didn't get out for a run for more than a month. My schedule is starting to open up a little bit again, and Mon. I went to the gym and ran 5K on the treadmill. I did the best I could (I can't pace myself on the road very well, so probably better than I will in the actual 5k) and ran more than 80% of it. (At 36:49).

The 5K is 4/18 and my plan was to go back to the gym a couple more times and then get outside a couple times before then. But... my legs are still sore from Mon. Should I go today or not?
  • kaz1350
    kaz1350 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    BL_Coleman wrote: »
    I have a question about shoes. I generally cannot go to a runners store. I wear a 7.5/8 womens wide and they NEVER have them. How would you recommend I go about trying to get a decent pair.

Go to a runners store to get fitted. They will at least tell you what type of shoe to get. I get mine online from Brooks Running. You need to get one size larger than you normally wear. I am about a 9/9.5 wide and I get a size 11 Brooks Ghost. Fits Perfectly for walking/jogging.
  • MelissaFitzCup
    MelissaFitzCup Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    This is brilliant.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    I had signed up for a 5K, started to train for it, then got super busy and didn't get out for a run for more than a month. My schedule is starting to open up a little bit again, and Mon. I went to the gym and ran 5K on the treadmill. I did the best I could (I can't pace myself on the road very well, so probably better than I will in the actual 5k) and ran more than 80% of it. (At 36:49).

The 5K is 4/18 and my plan was to go back to the gym a couple more times and then get outside a couple times before then. But... my legs are still sore from Mon. Should I go today or not?

So, with only 10 days to go, you can't do a whole lot, and over-use will make the race miserable. I'd back off on pace. Whatever you're doing, do it slower. But still try to run 3 days/week. At this point, you're just looking to get across the finish line.