So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,408 Member
    Options
    @Kymmu - are you wearing good running shoes that have been fitted for your gait? If not I would go to a running store and get a good pair of running shoes. Let them help you find the right shoes for you. The will look at whether your ankles/feet pronate or supinate (turn in or out) or are neutral and help you decide if you need more/less cushioning, etc.. All running shoes are not created equal and it is important to get the right ones for you.
    You might also dial it back a little and not necessarily run every day and not so fast. Slowly increase your distance and the speed will increase naturally but you may be pushing your body before it has had time to adjust. You could try running every other day or at least take a rest day once or twice a week.
  • SummerStrongNSexy
    SummerStrongNSexy Posts: 2 Member
    Options

Great post! Thanks for taking the time out to share your knowledge and experience with all of us who appreciate it <3...
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    So weird question. I've been running since Sept of last year. When I started I was 50lbs heavier and I didn't pay attention to anything but not dying. Lol, anyway I ran a lot outdoors in the winter except when it was under 10* then I ran in the gym. Outside my nose always ran, I just dealt with it because I thought it was because it was so cold. However now I'm running a ton more outside and it's 60* and my nose is still running. Now that I'm aware I've realized it does it at the gym as well just not as much. Is this normal, something a lot of runners deal with or am I just special?

It's probably normal. Running is a pretty gross activity really. There are lots of fluids and gas and stuff.

scottb81 wrote: »
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    So weird question. I've been running since Sept of last year. When I started I was 50lbs heavier and I didn't pay attention to anything but not dying. Lol, anyway I ran a lot outdoors in the winter except when it was under 10* then I ran in the gym. Outside my nose always ran, I just dealt with it because I thought it was because it was so cold. However now I'm running a ton more outside and it's 60* and my nose is still running. Now that I'm aware I've realized it does it at the gym as well just not as much. Is this normal, something a lot of runners deal with or am I just special?
    There is no better way to clear your sinuses at the begining of the day than an hour run before work.

Lol wonderful. The more I've gotten into running the more interesting facts I find out. Thanks for the reply's!
  • cathyjones08
    cathyjones08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What about breathing? Yeah I know "in/out". Please don't be sarcastic. I'm asking a real question.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    What about breathing? Yeah I know "in/out". Please don't be sarcastic. I'm asking a real question.
    It really doesn't matter at all. Breathe however you like that is comfortable for you.

If you train right, and run A Lot your body will over time its own optimal rhythm for everything that minimizes wasted movement and energy expenditure for any given effort level. That includes developing your own personal breathing pattern.

The only rule you might apply universally is to not breathe shallow from the chest but to breathe deep so that your belly expands on each inhale.

• traineat
    traineat Posts: 9
    Options
    Wow ThickMcRunFast it must of taken you ages to write all that well done anyway thanks for the tips I think it will really help with my running.
  • traineat
    traineat Posts: 9
    Options
    Hey if you put your mind to something then you active it wether you to spead up or slow down you can do it.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    traineat wrote: »
    Hey if you put your mind to something then you active it wether you to spead up or slow down you can do it.

59529645.jpg
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I had signed up for a 5K, started to train for it, then got super busy and didn't get out for a run for more than a month. My schedule is starting to open up a little bit again, and Mon. I went to the gym and ran 5K on the treadmill. I did the best I could (I can't pace myself on the road very well, so probably better than I will in the actual 5k) and ran more than 80% of it. (At 36:49).

The 5K is 4/18 and my plan was to go back to the gym a couple more times and then get outside a couple times before then. But... my legs are still sore from Mon. Should I go today or not?

So, with only 10 days to go, you can't do a whole lot, and over-use will make the race miserable. I'd back off on pace. Whatever you're doing, do it slower. But still try to run 3 days/week. At this point, you're just looking to get across the finish line.

Thanks to all the help here - I had a time of 30:00 (yes, unusual to be an even number like that). I had to stop to tie a shoe, otherwise I could have finished in less than 30 min.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I had signed up for a 5K, started to train for it, then got super busy and didn't get out for a run for more than a month. My schedule is starting to open up a little bit again, and Mon. I went to the gym and ran 5K on the treadmill. I did the best I could (I can't pace myself on the road very well, so probably better than I will in the actual 5k) and ran more than 80% of it. (At 36:49).

The 5K is 4/18 and my plan was to go back to the gym a couple more times and then get outside a couple times before then. But... my legs are still sore from Mon. Should I go today or not?

So, with only 10 days to go, you can't do a whole lot, and over-use will make the race miserable. I'd back off on pace. Whatever you're doing, do it slower. But still try to run 3 days/week. At this point, you're just looking to get across the finish line.

Thanks to all the help here - I had a time of 30:00 (yes, unusual to be an even number like that). I had to stop to tie a shoe, otherwise I could have finished in less than 30 min.

Congrats!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Congrats! I hope you enjoyed yourself!
  • cathyjones08
    Options
    scottb81 wrote: »
    It really doesn't matter at all. Breathe however you like that is comfortable for you.

If you train right, and run A Lot your body will over time its own optimal rhythm for everything that minimizes wasted movement and energy expenditure for any given effort level. That includes developing your own personal breathing pattern.

The only rule you might apply universally is to not breathe shallow from the chest but to breathe deep so that your belly expands on each inhale.

• cathyjones08
    Options
    Thank you for your help. Ran my first 5K in the beginning of April. Running another in May. But have found out that as it is getting warmer I'm having a harder time breathing. It feels harder.
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    As it gets warmer it you will have to work harder to maintain the same pace. The reason is that some of your blood that normally is carrying oxygen to the muscles is now diverted to the skin for cooling. So your heart beats faster and your breathing increases.

The solution in training is to either run by feel or heartrate and not try to nail a set pace every time. Pace may vary day to day due to various factors including the weather.
  • lulucitron
    lulucitron Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So you want to not start running....
  • saucedojess
    saucedojess Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    wow. this answered so many of my questions.
    i always say I hate running but secretly I want to! but I'm scared to sound dumb asking questions about running. thank you for writing this :)
  • maussiey
    maussiey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you this is going to be so helpful. I have just started running again after illness and this will really help. The only other thing I have trouble with is eating. I normally run early morning (5am) or late evening (9pm)and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I need to be eating? Also how long should I leave between dinner and running? Probably stupid questions so sorry
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    maussiey wrote: »
    Thank you this is going to be so helpful. I have just started running again after illness and this will really help. The only other thing I have trouble with is eating. I normally run early morning (5am) or late evening (9pm)and I was wondering if there is anything in particular I need to be eating? Also how long should I leave between dinner and running? Probably stupid questions so sorry

No worries, eating is very much personal preference. for an early morning run, I don't usually bother with anything unless I'll be running for 2+hours. If I am, then I'll have a banana or something that will sit well. Toast with peanut butter, etc. Something light.

I tend to wait two hours after eating anything substantial before running, but that is a habit I've picked up from racing. I couldn't imagine going out for a run a half hour after downing a full meal, but your results may vary.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    wow. this answered so many of my questions.
    i always say I hate running but secretly I want to! but I'm scared to sound dumb asking questions about running. thank you for writing this :)

There are no such things as dumb questions! Don't hold back, ask!

• ddmusica
    ddmusica Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am running my first 5K May 2 after a recent 41lb weight loss; feeling good, and looking forward to it. Thank you for the advice- it is a treasure.