So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• kristalasimpson
    kristalasimpson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    As a child, I had severe asthma and just walking the 2 blocks to my elementary school would send me off on an attack. Needless to say, I was excused from any running activities as they would also cause an attack.

Fast forward many many years later, I want to learn to run. I still have severe asthma, but it is better controlled due to all the new drug therapies to keep you breathing.

I began power walking last month and now I power walk daily and decided I wanted to jog a bit one day. I managed 2 city blocks which surprised the crap out of me before I was completely out of breath and had to walk slow to catch it. I did this for 3 times on my hour long walk (about 3-5 minutes each time) and realized 3 things:

1. I don't know how to breath properly when running
    2. I am overcome with worry that my poor breathing when running will cause an asthma attack.
    3. Learning to run at 40 is kinda scary

I did this 2 days in a row. Yay Me! On the 3rd day, my knees were no longer my friends. They ached so much. My hips were also tender, but not like the knees. I have Nike AirMax Running shoes.

I am looking for any advise on how to breath properly when trying to run and how to not have my knees ache so much after.

I took up running at age 41, so you're good. ;)

I also have asthma, though mine has been mild as an adult and exercise is not a trigger for it. For breathing, I don't follow any pattern like some do (in for 2-3 steps, out for same, etc). I just breathe as deeply as I can. First rule if you're having problems breathing is to SLOW DOWN. Go at a "conversational pace"...slow enough that you could talk to someone next to you. That means your breathing would be comfortable and not something you need to think about. Yes, you may feel like you could walk faster, but that will change over time.

Overcoming the fear of an attack: Make sure you have a rescue inhaler with you. That will give you peace of mind that if you have an attack, you have the inhaler right there to use. Running at a slower pace may help, too, since your breathing won't feel so out of control that it contributes to the fear.

Knees: I'd say do not run two days in a row. Take a rest day between runs (you can walk or do some other exercise on the rest day). Some people do well running every day, but I'd say most people benefit from avoiding such high-impact activity multiple days in a row. Your body needs time to adjust to the impact of running, so non-run days are important. Running 3 (alternating) days a week is probably best for most beginners.

Make sure you stretch well after a run, consider a foam roller, and maybe ice your knees, too.

"Ice the knees"..Getting old sucks! Thanks for the advice. I always have my puffer with me. I will try a slower pace tomorrow to see how it goes.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Don't fear slowing down!

Those new to running often have visions of people steaming by huffing like a freight train but in fact there are well respected training regimes which purposely limit the training runner to a relatively slow pace where they can maintain a steady heart rate much lower than their maximum. The purpose of such training is to build up endurance while allowing the runner to increase distance all the while reducing risk of injury.

Just take it easy. Don't expect miracle improvements over night but come the end of June if your body has been cooperating to allow you to get out regularly, you should definitely notice positive changes.
  • squeaktooth
    squeaktooth Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good tips...dunno if others have this problem..but when I try to run my throat and lungs feel like exploding...really exploding...so I always give up after a couple minutes...I smoked for years and live in reno..fairly high elevation...but should be able torun five minutes...geez...what can i do to fix this?

• pineson
    pineson Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the good tips...dunno if others have this problem..but when I try to run my throat and lungs feel like exploding...really exploding...so I always give up after a couple minutes...I smoked for years and live in reno..fairly high elevation...but should be able torun five minutes...geez...what can i do to fix this?

I also smoked for years I've been stopped for 7 years , im new to running , I run home from work which Is roughly 6 miles , I do have to stop to catch my breath , when I get the feeling of My lungs exploding I just slow down and give my self a aim which takes my mind of it ( that helps a lot ) ☺
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I slowed down today. Pace at just under 8km/h. Average pace per kilometer was between 7:30-7:45. Ran 4 KM. Very humid run, I was covered in sweat and my lungs were feeling heavy but I didn't have any issues. Took me about 1/2 hour. Slow run but it felt good. Definitely will try to keep this slow pace for awhile.

In terms of the lungs exploding, that could just be you need to be more conditioned, but also mention it to a doctor. It actually sounds like one of my asthma symptoms.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    geez...what can i do to fix this?

Time and keeping at it.

I've never smoked in my life and used to be a distance runner. Long story short I started running last fall 100 lbs heavy and after having pneumonia earlier that year. My lungs positively screamed. Couldn't run 1km without stopping. It took a number of weeks but I worked through that.

That was 780 kilometers ago... well past the lung screaming stage now.

Keep at it, you'll get there.

• nkenn84
    nkenn84 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hey guys, I love all the info in here!! I love running but recently got my fist case of shin splints
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    Unless you have developed COPD the feeling in your lungs has nothing to do with having smoked before. It is simply your body having a lack of aerobic fitness.

That feeling will go away with training.

My lungs hurt too when I first started. The hurt went away after a few weeks even before I quit smoking.

• mwyvr
    Options
    nkenn84 wrote: »
    Hey guys, I love all the info in here!! I love running but recently got my fist case of shin splints

:( that's too bad, here's to healing and hearing that you are back on the road / trail !

• _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Ice.

Take it easy.

Don't give up.
  • vilhelmcarlberg
    vilhelmcarlberg Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Very good useful information.
  • juliet3455
    juliet3455 Posts: 3,015 Member
    Options

Rest and Try this link for a little info.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/sidelined-with-shin-pain/
  • gdsmit1
    gdsmit1 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Great post and thread. I'm a new runner and started last week with the C25k program.
  • SarahSez84
    SarahSez84 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What do you mean by lean body mass? Im trying to lose 30 lbs as i get back into running after years of being out of it consistently, so I'm not sure how much protein i should really be eating.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    SarahSez84 wrote: »
    What do you mean by lean body mass? Im trying to lose 30 lbs as i get back into running after years of being out of it consistently, so I'm not sure how much protein i should really be eating.

Lean body mass would be your mass without the fat, an estimate of how much muscle you have. You can use some calculators to estimate your body fat percentage, which can then give you an idea of how much muscle you carry vs fat.
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I want to start running, but I'm scared :S The last time I was running I only ever got to 4km and It was always super painful and I hated it. I get told you love it once you pass a certain point, can't say I've reached that before haha.

Can I start just by jogging on the treadmill?
  • nkenn84
    Options
    juliet3455 wrote: »

Rest and Try this link for a little info.
    http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/sidelined-with-shin-pain/

Thanks so much for the link... The info was great and I think I will invest in a foam roller!
  • nkenn84
    Options
    AAAAHHHH I am beyond excited!!! I FINALLY hit 4 miles... No stopping
  • mwyvr
    Options
    I want to start running, but I'm scared :S The last time I was running I only ever got to 4km and It was always super painful and I hated it. I get told you love it once you pass a certain point, can't say I've reached that before haha.

Can I start just by jogging on the treadmill?

Sure you can run on a treadmill but you might find it even more fun outside. If you have a park with soft trails free of tripping hazards like roots and big stones, that is often the softest and most ideal place to start running. When i started running last fall I *had* to run in a park for the first while in order to work my body into it. Now I can run 10k on pavement no problem... but I still prefer trails. :smile:

Google "Couch to 5K" (here's one link but there are other resources see also: http://www.c25k.com/) and follow that program. It is a very gentle introduction to running that anyone who doesn't suffer from limiting health problems should be able to do.
    Each session should take about 20 or 30 minutes, three times a week. That just happens to be the same amount of moderate exercise recommended by numerous studies for optimum fitness. This program will get you fit.

Be sure to space out these three days throughout the week to give yourself a chance to rest and recover between efforts. And don't worry about how fast you're going. Running faster can wait until your bones are stronger and your body is fitter. For now focus on gradually increasing the time or distance you run.

Any questions just ask!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    AAAAHHHH I am beyond excited!!! I FINALLY hit 4 miles... No stopping

FANTASTIC! These milestones are wonderful occasions! :smile: