So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• daperfectmix
    daperfectmix Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    So downhill running can be very fun if done correctly, and it sounds like you just need to lose your fear of it.

Some form tips- lean forward from the hips, not the shoulder. Use your arms for balance. Don't overstride, make sure your feet are landing under your body. Look down the hill and not at your feet.

On trails I use what I call the 'three Fs' - foresight, foot placement, and fearlessness. I go back and forth from scanning the ground 10-15 feet ahead of me to looking down- and mentally plan my steps. Its a bit easier on roads because you don't have rocks to watch out for, but you do have those uneven sidewalks. The more you practice at it, the less fear you should have.

Also, if its safe to do on your route, consider running in the street rather than on sidewalk. The asphalt is softer and usually has less hazards.

Thanks! Someone in the gym today actually told me that I should run in the street instead of the sidewalk. I never thought about it being softer than the concrete. I will do that from now on and think about your tips and "three F's" on my next hill.
  • cathyjones08
    cathyjones08 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    So downhill running can be very fun if done correctly, and it sounds like you just need to lose your fear of it.

Some form tips- lean forward from the hips, not the shoulder. Use your arms for balance. Don't overstride, make sure your feet are landing under your body. Look down the hill and not at your feet.

On trails I use what I call the 'three Fs' - foresight, foot placement, and fearlessness. I go back and forth from scanning the ground 10-15 feet ahead of me to looking down- and mentally plan my steps. Its a bit easier on roads because you don't have rocks to watch out for, but you do have those uneven sidewalks. The more you practice at it, the less fear you should have.

Also, if its safe to do on your route, consider running in the street rather than on sidewalk. The asphalt is softer and usually has less hazards.

Thanks! Someone in the gym today actually told me that I should run in the street instead of the sidewalk. I never thought about it being softer than the concrete. I will do that from now on and think about your tips and "three F's" on my next hill.

Thanks for this info too. I'm going to try the street next time too because of our uneven sidewalks.
  • christinanott1
    christinanott1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Awesome!

Thank you
  • christinanott1
    christinanott1 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

Thanks for this info too. I'm going to try the street next time too because of our uneven sidewalks.

For street running, go against traffic if you can. Helps you see what's coming so you can get out of the way, if needed. If running in the evening or early morning (low light), make sure to wear reflective clothing and even lights (small blinking lights for shoes, hand lights, or a headlamp). Be as visible as possible so cars know you're there.
  • annekka
    annekka Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question for all of the other runners out there. Hoping you can point me to where I can get more info (links appreciated).

I've been running for a month now, and have a solid cardio base despite having asthma (I can do Les Mills Combat and Attack in one day and not be too exhausted). My longest runs are up to 7-8 km in about 50 minutes at this point (no walking only jogging). I'm still fairly slow but fairly steady in my pace. I am going to start running outside in the mornings 2-3x a week besides my long Sunday runs as long as the humid tropical climate I live in remains cool enough to do so. Which considering the normal is over 90F with over 80% humidity for most of the summer may not be much longer.

Where should I go from here? Should I be working on distance or speed?

I'm hoping to sign up for a half marathon in December, but I'm going to try to hold off on signing up until August to see how things go between now and then.
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    annekka wrote: »
    Just a quick question for all of the other runners out there. Hoping you can point me to where I can get more info (links appreciated).

I've been running for a month now, and have a solid cardio base despite having asthma (I can do Les Mills Combat and Attack in one day and not be too exhausted). My longest runs are up to 7-8 km in about 50 minutes at this point (no walking only jogging). I'm still fairly slow but fairly steady in my pace. I am going to start running outside in the mornings 2-3x a week besides my long Sunday runs as long as the humid tropical climate I live in remains cool enough to do so. Which considering the normal is over 90F with over 80% humidity for most of the summer may not be much longer.

I'm hoping to sign up for a half marathon in December, but I'm going to try to hold off on signing up until August to see how things go between now and then.

Distance. Focus on distance. Speed comes with distance. Can't say that enough, focus on building up the distance. As your body gets used to the distance, you'll naturally speed up. Eventually, you can consider speed work.
  • annekka
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

Distance. Focus on distance. Speed comes with distance. Can't say that enough, focus on building up the distance. As your body gets used to the distance, you'll naturally speed up. Eventually, you can consider speed work.

That is what I thought I should focus on, but I'm glad to hear it stated again as sometimes my intuition can be off!

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options

+1. +100!

The half is not like a 5K. You need to focus on endurance not speed and to do that you need to be focussing on your running volume (distance). You won't be adding volume at race pace, far from it. You'll add volume at a pace within your aerobic capability. Over time you'll find your speed improving even though the apparent intensity for you will seem to remain the same. If you have a heart rate monitor you should be able to witness this clearly over time.

If you are training while losing weight (as I am) your body will naturally find it easier as you get it lighter. Still other improvement comes from the big increase in effectiveness you are building in your cardiopulmonary system, muscles. Many will find their running form improves naturally but it's never too early to seek out advice on that; good form and an appropriate distance training pace will go a very long way to helping you avoid injury.

You've got lots of time. Put in the volume and train smart. On race day you'll be blown away with how you perform compared to today's expectations. Good luck and keep us posted! (friend me if you like, I'm working away at similar running objectives too)

Mike
  • janineryan356
    janineryan356 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Would like to know what core strength building can I do to stop lower back buttocks trapoed nurve pain
  • annekka
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »

+1. +100!

The half is not like a 5K. You need to focus on endurance not speed and to do that you need to be focussing on your running volume (distance). You won't be adding volume at race pace, far from it. You'll add volume at a pace within your aerobic capability. Over time you'll find your speed improving even though the apparent intensity for you will seem to remain the same. If you have a heart rate monitor you should be able to witness this clearly over time.

If you are training while losing weight (as I am) your body will naturally find it easier as you get it lighter. Still other improvement comes from the big increase in effectiveness you are building in your cardiopulmonary system, muscles. Many will find their running form improves naturally but it's never too early to seek out advice on that; good form and an appropriate distance training pace will go a very long way to helping you avoid injury.

You've got lots of time. Put in the volume and train smart. On race day you'll be blown away with how you perform compared to today's expectations. Good luck and keep us posted! (friend me if you like, I'm working away at similar running objectives too)

Mike
    Thank you. Ran again this morning. Only 3K, and had to walk twice. I had done leg weights last night and I suspect I wasn't as warmed up as I could have been or as stretched etc. Averaging about 7 minutes per km which is normal for me. I cut short the route I was going to run as I was feeling sore/not up to snuff. But that's okay as I'm adding running outside during the week instead of treadmill time.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    High @annekka, so earlier you mentioned that you were able to do 7 - 8km running not run-walking in about 50 minutes; that indicates you've got a good base on which to build. When you later mentioned tiring on a 3km that suggests a couple things:

1. You may not be giving yourself the rest you need in-between running / cardio work outs
    2. It's possible you are pushing your pace just a little too fast.

If you keep your pace such that you are well within your current aerobic capacity (can run while carrying on conversation is one measure) you'd normally expect to be able to complete a 3km run almost no matter how you feel if you can complete a 7 - 8km run.

If you are using a fitness tracker or phone all (Endomondo, Map My..., Strava, etc) you can look at your training log and perhaps something will jump out at you that points to over-training/not enough rest and/or too fast a pace. Doing both (over training + running at to fast a pace for your development today) will rob you of needed recovery between runs.

Don't forget your stretching too.

Running in a humid tropical setting... wow, that's tough. I've no advice there and am glad that isn't a challenge we face here. Mind you when it is icy out I'd like to trade! :smile:
  • annekka
    edited May 2015
    Options
    High @annekka, so earlier you mentioned that you were able to do 7 - 8km running not run-walking in about 50 minutes; that indicates you've got a good base on which to build. When you later mentioned tiring on a 3km that suggests a couple things:

1. You may not be giving yourself the rest you need in-between running / cardio work outs

If you keep your pace such that you are well within your current aerobic capacity (can run while carrying on conversation is one measure) you'd normally expect to be able to complete a 3km run almost no matter how you feel if you can complete a 7 - 8km run.

If you are using a fitness tracker or phone all (Endomondo, Map My..., Strava, etc) you can look at your training log and perhaps something will jump out at you that points to over-training/not enough rest and/or too fast a pace. Doing both (over training + running at to fast a pace for your development today) will rob you of needed recovery between runs.

Running in a humid tropical setting... wow, that's tough. I've no advice there and am glad that isn't a challenge we face here. Mind you when it is icy out I'd like to trade! :smile:

I last ran on Sunday and had just done weights last night (legs and not heavy). I live in Southern China so it's Tuesday morning here. I will slow down the pace, it will kill me, but I'll slow it down, I average about 8.2 km/h in my pace currently so I'll try to slow down to 7. When I run on the treadmill I can run at 9.4, but I don't have the forward momentum of a treadmill. I don't know if I can talk and have a conversation as I run alone and need both a steroidal inhaler and a regular inhaler before I run due to asthma so I'm focusing on making sure I can breath period. I can talk when I run at 9 km/h on a treadmill, 10 km/h not so much though.

I use Runtastic right now and have a pro subscription for the time being. I will not do any exercise again until Wednesday night when I'll do some chest/back exercises and will try to run again on Thursday morning. Friday is a complete rest day. Saturday I go into the city to go to a different gym to do some cardio classes. I'm not following a progressive lifting program at all, just making sure I get legs, back and chest exercises to keep up the fitness. My lifting days are Monday (legs), Wednesday (chest/back), Sunday (only deadlifts and rows post running) and one or two machines on a Saturday (can't get these machines where I live).

I definitely picked the wrong time of year to pick up running, but it's either blisteringly hot and humid or cold and raw, no in between. But...what else can I do? The gyms where I live are limited to weights (mostly upper body), the occasional spinning and yoga classes and "dancing" classes of the mostly Chinese folk dance type. I gave up going to classes at my local gyms long ago. I live in a more "traditional" part of the city I live in and having visible muscles/sweating/etc. isn't desired by the people unless you're a young man. I get away with it as I'm a silly foreigner.

I guess the heat isn't as bad as the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon is my goal. Mainly a flat course in early December. If others from my job are interested, I might run the Great Hakka Marathon 8K race a couple weekends earlier, which is close to where I live as a prep race.

Over training? More rest? Not enough training? This is my first time running in the morning so I don't know...
  • dallpruitt
    dallpruitt Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the information I'm a newbie to running and after reading your board I might try a 5k at the YMCA today. Keep writing your very good.
  • brandiuntz
    Options

I last ran on Sunday and had just done weights last night (legs and not heavy). I live in Southern China so it's Tuesday morning here. I will slow down the pace, it will kill me, but I'll slow it down, I average about 8.2 km/h in my pace currently so I'll try to slow down to 7. When I run on the treadmill I can run at 9.4, but I don't have the forward momentum of a treadmill. I don't know if I can talk and have a conversation as I run alone and need both a steroidal inhaler and a regular inhaler before I run due to asthma so I'm focusing on making sure I can breath period. I can talk when I run at 9 km/h on a treadmill, 10 km/h not so much though.

I use Runtastic right now and have a pro subscription for the time being. I will not do any exercise again until Wednesday night when I'll do some chest/back exercises and will try to run again on Thursday morning. Friday is a complete rest day. Saturday I go into the city to go to a different gym to do some cardio classes. I'm not following a progressive lifting program at all, just making sure I get legs, back and chest exercises to keep up the fitness. My lifting days are Monday (legs), Wednesday (chest/back), Sunday (only deadlifts and rows post running) and one or two machines on a Saturday (can't get these machines where I live).

I definitely picked the wrong time of year to pick up running, but it's either blisteringly hot and humid or cold and raw, no in between. But...what else can I do? The gyms where I live are limited to weights (mostly upper body), the occasional spinning and yoga classes and "dancing" classes of the mostly Chinese folk dance type. I gave up going to classes at my local gyms long ago. I live in a more "traditional" part of the city I live in and having visible muscles/sweating/etc. isn't desired by the people unless you're a young man. I get away with it as I'm a silly foreigner.

I guess the heat isn't as bad as the Angkor Wat International Half Marathon is my goal. Mainly a flat course in early December. If others from my job are interested, I might run the Great Hakka Marathon 8K race a couple weekends earlier, which is close to where I live as a prep race.

Over training? More rest? Not enough training? This is my first time running in the morning so I don't know...

You may just be adjusting to weather changes (seriously, heat and humidity make a huge difference in how you feel). Also, if you switched time of day, that can make a difference. I'm used to running in the evening, so when I do run in the morning, it's a little shock to the system.

Strength training can tire your legs...my legs are fatigued when I run the day after "leg day". I expect it so adjust my run workout for that day.

Give yourself some time to adjust to any changes to your running (outside/treadmill, weather, etc). It can take a couple weeks to fully feel back to normal to any major change. Slow your pace down if you need to.
  • annekka
    edited May 2015
    Options

You may just be adjusting to weather changes (seriously, heat and humidity make a huge difference in how you feel). Also, if you switched time of day, that can make a difference. I'm used to running in the evening, so when I do run in the morning, it's a little shock to the system.

Strength training can tire your legs...my legs are fatigued when I run the day after "leg day". I expect it so adjust my run workout for that day.

Give yourself some time to adjust to any changes to your running (outside/treadmill, weather, etc). It can take a couple weeks to fully feel back to normal to any major change. Slow your pace down if you need to.

Yes, it's my first week adding outside runs during the week. I think I may switch leg day to Wednesday to allow a bit more recovery time from my long Sunday run and Saturday cardio. Surprisingly I've yet to have any issues with doing 2 hour long classes on Saturday and then running Sunday but we'll see. I'll run again tomorrow morning but keep it to a very short route (1-2 miles). I hope I don't start having huge amounts of problems with adding running days. I'm going to go out to run at around 5 AM, but it can still be almost 80 with high humidity at that time. :sweat:

• mwyvr
    Options
    Your body definitely works harder to cool itself when running in conditions of high heat and humidity. You'll be able to put more time in on your runs if you manage your pace such that you could converse out loud without feeling winded. For those of us who are aiming at half or full marathons you are primarily concerned with building endurance.

If your pace is pushing your heart rate and breathing such that you aren't comfortably able to talk, then you probably need to back off a little. The same goes for heat and humidity if they conspire to raise the stress on your body while running, slow it down just a little until it feels appropriate.

It's hard to believe but not stressing your body will make it possible to put in the time (= increased distance of course) that you need to build endurance and as you do this, over time you will in fact become faster for the same apparent effort. Bonus, you reduce the chance of injury and your runs as they grow longer and longer won't feel harder and harder. All this discipline will pay off with better performance come race day.
  • annekka
    Options
    Your body definitely works harder to cool itself when running in conditions of high heat and humidity. You'll be able to put more time in on your runs if you manage your pace such that you could converse out loud without feeling winded. For those of us who are aiming at half or full marathons you are primarily concerned with building endurance.

If your pace is pushing your heart rate and breathing such that you aren't comfortably able to talk, then you probably need to back off a little. The same goes for heat and humidity if they conspire to raise the stress on your body while running, slow it down just a little until it feels appropriate.

It's hard to believe but not stressing your body will make it possible to put in the time (= increased distance of course) that you need to build endurance and as you do this, over time you will in fact become faster for the same apparent effort. Bonus, you reduce the chance of injury and your runs as they grow longer and longer won't feel harder and harder. All this discipline will pay off with better performance come race day.

Thanks, I am going to slow it down. I've also ordered a heart rate monitor but I won't have it until the end of May. I got a polar ft7. I don't need/want a gps for the time being. Maybe that'll change but...
  • kristalasimpson
    kristalasimpson Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    As a child, I had severe asthma and just walking the 2 blocks to my elementary school would send me off on an attack. Needless to say, I was excused from any running activities as they would also cause an attack.

Fast forward many many years later, I want to learn to run. I still have severe asthma, but it is better controlled due to all the new drug therapies to keep you breathing.

I began power walking last month and now I power walk daily and decided I wanted to jog a bit one day. I managed 2 city blocks which surprised the crap out of me before I was completely out of breath and had to walk slow to catch it. I did this for 3 times on my hour long walk (about 3-5 minutes each time) and realized 3 things:

1. I don't know how to breath properly when running
    2. I am overcome with worry that my poor breathing when running will cause an asthma attack.
    3. Learning to run at 40 is kinda scary

I did this 2 days in a row. Yay Me! On the 3rd day, my knees were no longer my friends. They ached so much. My hips were also tender, but not like the knees. I have Nike AirMax Running shoes.

I am looking for any advise on how to breath properly when trying to run and how to not have my knees ache so much after.

• brandiuntz
    Options
    As a child, I had severe asthma and just walking the 2 blocks to my elementary school would send me off on an attack. Needless to say, I was excused from any running activities as they would also cause an attack.

Fast forward many many years later, I want to learn to run. I still have severe asthma, but it is better controlled due to all the new drug therapies to keep you breathing.

I began power walking last month and now I power walk daily and decided I wanted to jog a bit one day. I managed 2 city blocks which surprised the crap out of me before I was completely out of breath and had to walk slow to catch it. I did this for 3 times on my hour long walk (about 3-5 minutes each time) and realized 3 things:

1. I don't know how to breath properly when running
    2. I am overcome with worry that my poor breathing when running will cause an asthma attack.
    3. Learning to run at 40 is kinda scary

I did this 2 days in a row. Yay Me! On the 3rd day, my knees were no longer my friends. They ached so much. My hips were also tender, but not like the knees. I have Nike AirMax Running shoes.

I am looking for any advise on how to breath properly when trying to run and how to not have my knees ache so much after.

I took up running at age 41, so you're good. ;)

I also have asthma, though mine has been mild as an adult and exercise is not a trigger for it. For breathing, I don't follow any pattern like some do (in for 2-3 steps, out for same, etc). I just breathe as deeply as I can. First rule if you're having problems breathing is to SLOW DOWN. Go at a "conversational pace"...slow enough that you could talk to someone next to you. That means your breathing would be comfortable and not something you need to think about. Yes, you may feel like you could walk faster, but that will change over time.

Overcoming the fear of an attack: Make sure you have a rescue inhaler with you. That will give you peace of mind that if you have an attack, you have the inhaler right there to use. Running at a slower pace may help, too, since your breathing won't feel so out of control that it contributes to the fear.

Knees: I'd say do not run two days in a row. Take a rest day between runs (you can walk or do some other exercise on the rest day). Some people do well running every day, but I'd say most people benefit from avoiding such high-impact activity multiple days in a row. Your body needs time to adjust to the impact of running, so non-run days are important. Running 3 (alternating) days a week is probably best for most beginners.

Make sure you stretch well after a run, consider a foam roller, and maybe ice your knees, too.