So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• misslc84
    Options
    Thank you for this! Really helpful info!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    This thread makes me rethink running. I never considered it because it seemed so hard, and I was afraid it would damage my knees in the long run (no pun intended).

So...could one run into their elder years, as Ernestine Shepherd (one of my heroes!) has kept up her bodybuilding into her late 70s? Or is this something you have to give up by the time you hit your 60s or 70s due to the pounding on the joints (knees, hips)?

If you train properly, there is no reason why you cannot run into your 70s and beyond. Studies indicate that the people who starts running properly (i.e - does not try to do too much too soon, and that are uninjured to begin with) actually have less of an incidence of arthritis than those who do not run.

npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis

Basically, being overweight and inactive is far, far worse for your knees than running ever will be.

Agree.

The only upside to overweight is the fact that the increased weight puts more stress on the skeleton, thereby decreasing a bit the risk of osteoporosis. But if a person is at a healthy weight, I'd argue that the "pounding" during running is actually good for the bones. They become stronger with more trabeculae being formed, decreasing osteoporosis risk.

The myth of running destroying knees is due to beginners pursuing the art in a non-artsy way with no respect for bodily limitations.

I've seen this firsthand in my family, when my mother (in her 50s, not overweight, but pre-osteoporosis) took up running. A year later, she had nearly perfect bone scans, and has since run half marathons and countless other races.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    This thread makes me rethink running. I never considered it because it seemed so hard, and I was afraid it would damage my knees in the long run (no pun intended).

So...could one run into their elder years, as Ernestine Shepherd (one of my heroes!) has kept up her bodybuilding into her late 70s? Or is this something you have to give up by the time you hit your 60s or 70s due to the pounding on the joints (knees, hips)?

If you train properly, there is no reason why you cannot run into your 70s and beyond. Studies indicate that the people who starts running properly (i.e - does not try to do too much too soon, and that are uninjured to begin with) actually have less of an incidence of arthritis than those who do not run.

npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis

Basically, being overweight and inactive is far, far worse for your knees than running ever will be.

Agree.

The only upside to overweight is the fact that the increased weight puts more stress on the skeleton, thereby decreasing a bit the risk of osteoporosis. But if a person is at a healthy weight, I'd argue that the "pounding" during running is actually good for the bones. They become stronger with more trabeculae being formed, decreasing osteoporosis risk.

The myth of running destroying knees is due to beginners pursuing the art in a non-artsy way with no respect for bodily limitations.

I've seen this firsthand in my family, when my mother (in her 50s, not overweight, but pre-osteoporosis) took up running. A year later, she had nearly perfect bone scans, and has since run half marathons and countless other races.

I have seen this firsthand in me - arthritis runs in my family and I was diagnosed at an early age (in college) with arthritis in my hands, knees and toes. I did not start running until my mid-50's, dropped 60 pounds, completed 8 half marathons and misc 5k's and 10k's and have not looked back. I have no issue with arthritis or my knees, I even tore my meniscus in a nonrunning accident and still have no issue with my knees. Per my doctor exercise will keep the arthritis at bay - the more you move the better it will be!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    I've been using the treadmill to alternate alternate running and walking. There is a 5k program on the treadmill, and my 2 times this week were 47 min. and 42 min. (I don't remember how many seconds). What should I shoot for before actually signing up for a 5K? I assume I will want to achieve that time a few times (not just a really good day once) and maybe even do that outside a few times too since the environment is different.

When I look at 5K results, I tend to notice a lot of people in the 30-40 min. range, so I don't feel like the 40-50 min. range makes me ready yet.

If you can do the distance you can do the distance. You can always find a reason to put it off. Or you can just go do it and see how you do. Your first one is a PR regardless so just go do it and do the best you can. Then you'll have an "official" time to better on the next one.

True. The adrenaline of race day ends up shaving a few minutes off your time anyway.

And yes, a lot of people will run in the 30s. Some in the 20s. Some sub 20.

And some people will walk the whole thing because they like doing it and get a free tshirt. Just go out, set a bench mark, get used to the race experience, then use that to set a goal.

Yes, what both sjohnny and Thick said.

The rational arguments against participating in a 5K may stem in fear and nothing else. Don't overthink things. A mile is a mile regardless of speed, and so is a 5K. My time is extremely slow, but unless I work on it like every other runner, it ain't decreasing.

A personal record is also a personal record, no matter the time. And on to next PR.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I've been using the treadmill to alternate alternate running and walking. There is a 5k program on the treadmill, and my 2 times this week were 47 min. and 42 min. (I don't remember how many seconds). What should I shoot for before actually signing up for a 5K? I assume I will want to achieve that time a few times (not just a really good day once) and maybe even do that outside a few times too since the environment is different.

When I look at 5K results, I tend to notice a lot of people in the 30-40 min. range, so I don't feel like the 40-50 min. range makes me ready yet.

If you can do the distance you can do the distance. You can always find a reason to put it off. Or you can just go do it and see how you do. Your first one is a PR regardless so just go do it and do the best you can. Then you'll have an "official" time to better on the next one.

True. The adrenaline of race day ends up shaving a few minutes off your time anyway.

And some people will walk the whole thing because they like doing it and get a free tshirt. Just go out, set a bench mark, get used to the race experience, then use that to set a goal.

The rational arguments against participating in a 5K may stem in fear and nothing else. Don't overthink things. A mile is a mile regardless of speed, and so is a 5K. My time is extremely slow, but unless I work on it like every other runner, it ain't decreasing.

A personal record is also a personal record, no matter the time. And on to next PR.

Makes sense, but I can't exactly do the whole distance. I can run maybe 40-50% and walk the rest. If I enter as a runner, I end up walking so much of it and I'm not sure if that is fair. If I enter as a walker, I know I can do it all, but I don't think they time walkers (guessing here, because it doesn't say either way) and I end up walking for time that I could be running. So it sounds like I should wait until I can run the whole 5k?
  • shanaber
    Options

Makes sense, but I can't exactly do the whole distance. I can run maybe 40-50% and walk the rest. If I enter as a runner, I end up walking so much of it and I'm not sure if that is fair. If I enter as a walker, I know I can do it all, but I don't think they time walkers (guessing here, because it doesn't say either way) and I end up walking for time that I could be running. So it sounds like I should wait until I can run the whole 5k?

My first 5K I walked and ran because I could not run the entire distance either. So I would say just do it, if you have to designate as walker or runner (never seen an entry that required a designation), I would enter as a runner. Run a mile walk a bit run a mile and walk a bit more... The only other concern would be any max time limits.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options

From what I've seen, the main delineation with walkers and runners are where they are staged and if they are timed. If you're running some of it, you'll definitely finish in front of the walkers. I'd do it just to get a PR down and the experience of running a race. You'll likely be surprised at how much adrenaline and running with the crowd is going to push to go a bit faster/further than normal.

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

My two fastest 5K's involved me walking parts of them (I went out very fast, would take brief walk breaks, then back to the hard run).

If you want to run a 5K and be timed, sign up for one. Plenty of people complete races of all distances with a run/walk combo. No one's watching you to insist you run the whole thing. The only issue is time limits. For a 5K, that should be at least an hour, and longer if there's a walkers sign-up.

• AglaeaC
    Options

There's no shame in walking. Keep training and you'll end up running the whole 5K. Like someone else said in the thread, we all have to start somewhere. And partly walking, partly running your first official 5K is a benchmark you can compare later runs to. It is very valuable in its own way and as a milestone in your training.
  • loratliff
    Options
    gabbo34 wrote: »

From what I've seen, the main delineation with walkers and runners are where they are staged and if they are timed. If you're running some of it, you'll definitely finish in front of the walkers. I'd do it just to get a PR down and the experience of running a race. You'll likely be surprised at how much adrenaline and running with the crowd is going to push to go a bit faster/further than normal.

Agreed. The best advice someone on here gave me before my first race: your first race is always a personal record, no matter what!

And the second-best: you won't be last. (Well, you could be, but it's very, very, very unlikely!)
  • AglaeaC
    Options

Agreed. The best advice someone on here gave me before my first race: your first race is always a personal record, no matter what!

And the second-best: you won't be last. (Well, you could be, but it's very, very, very unlikely!)

I'm not sure why people have such fear of being the last to finish. If one keeps comparing oneself to nobody else but, um, oneself, finishing (last) a 5K is still a finished raced compared to when one hadn't finished a race.

It's so unbelievably easy to compare one's performance only to what is left to achieve in the future, but seriously, how many of us haven't thought we would never even run to begin with. Every day we read claims such as "If I have learned to run, so can you", so please, people, compare yourself to where you were last month or year as well.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Wait if you want to wait. Go ahead and do it if you want to do it. But if you actually want to do it you won't be the only person who signed up as a runner who walks part of it (whatever the hell that means). And there will always be reasons not to run it if you look for them.
  • AndyTwoSlow
    Options
    unless you're running competitively, a timed run is more a competition with yourself than the people around you. Do one at a pace you know you can finish. if that means walking, then you can work on walking less in the next one.

I did my first 5k last march and have an 8k coming up in a couple weeks, followed by the same 5k again in march. I can't wait to see what my time looks like in the 5k this year. I'm never going to be up front so I don't care what everyone around me is doing. I don't worry about winning, I worry about getting better.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    unless you're running competitively, a timed run is more a competition with yourself than the people around you. Do one at a pace you know you can finish. if that means walking, then you can work on walking less in the next one.

I did my first 5k last march and have an 8k coming up in a couple weeks, followed by the same 5k again in march. I can't wait to see what my time looks like in the 5k this year. I'm never going to be up front so I don't care what everyone around me is doing. I don't worry about winning, I worry about getting better.

Good luck. It's called winning yourself by the way :)
  • shanaber
    Options

I'm not sure why people have such fear of being the last to finish. If one keeps comparing oneself to nobody else but, um, oneself, finishing (last) a 5K is still a finished raced compared to when one hadn't finished a race.

It's so unbelievably easy to compare one's performance only to what is left to achieve in the future, but seriously, how many of us haven't thought we would never even run to begin with. Every day we read claims such as "If I have learned to run, so can you", so please, people, compare yourself to where you were last month or year as well.

^^^ This is great! It truly doesn't make any difference where you finish, it is an accomplishment for you! It is so motivating to look back and see where you are today compared to previously... for some that means you have gotten up off the couch and are moving more, for others it is completing a race (1st time or 100th time no matter which you are still progressing)!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Wait if you want to wait. Go ahead and do it if you want to do it. But if you actually want to do it you won't be the only person who signed up as a runner who walks part of it (whatever the hell that means). And there will always be reasons not to run it if you look for them.

Yup. Just go run. Don't line up in the front (that is for people trying to win). You'll be fine.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    OK, Thanks for the encouragement! I signed up for a 5k on April 18, so I have some time to train and perhaps be able to run the whole way by then. I'm normally a very anxious person, so I'm very nervous. Nonetheless, I'll plan well and do my best.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    OK, Thanks for the encouragement! I signed up for a 5k on April 18, so I have some time to train and perhaps be able to run the whole way by then. I'm normally a very anxious person, so I'm very nervous. Nonetheless, I'll plan well and do my best.

Good luck and don't forget to have fun. While the athletic portion of it is there, of course, you should have fun, too.

It might be a good idea to prepare a bit, if you have a tendency to anxiety or nervousness, and by that I mean to check out the route in advance so you know what to expect, also where there might be more crowds cheering you on versus less.

And tips and tricks how to prepare for a race out of the perspective of not changing stuff on race day, how to fuel properly etc., are also good to invest some time in.

April is plenty of time to work up your running stamina for as well. Like you said, you'll do your best and it is a great starting point for future races. Since there are so many weeks left until 18 April, you can actually map out different 5K routes to try out on your own, just to get a feel for how long it might take you to finish.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Nervous is normal. I still get nervous before every race. I asked a friend about it. He's run numerous marathons and has been running for over ten years. He said he still does too. Just try to channel the anxious nervous into excited nervous.
  • loratliff
    Options

Signing up is the first step! It's normal to be nervous. You'll do great—and hopefully have a lot of fun too.

But beware, it's addicting!