So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced lower back pain after starting running? Foam roller isn't helping. :'(
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

Whatever the motivation just keep doing it. Consistency is the key here. I used to run a couple miles on the treadmill just to burn a few calories (for more food) but once I finally went outside.... Yeah, I hated it. It was hard. First time I ran 3 miles I had to take ibuprofen for a week because my knees hurt. I've had to take months off because of an achilles irritation. Just don't quit. Each day you get out there and do something just a bit out of your comfort zone you're changing what your comfort zone is.

Persistence is the key to nearly anything. I don't always FEEL like running in the morning but I do it anyway and I never regret doing it when I'm done. I've only ever had regret that I didn't do it. So just stick with it. Just think, that walk/run for a mile is probably worth a bagel or something yummy.

^^^ This! I agree completely with @_Waffle_‌ - Consistency is so important and keep doing it even when you just feel like the effort to get out and do it is too great!
    Also @_Waffle_‌ - awesome pictures!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Has anyone else experienced lower back pain after starting running? Foam roller isn't helping. :'(

Its probably a lack of core strength - your body is struggling to keep you upright.

It also may be form, but without being able to see your gait, no one here could tell.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Need to work on your core strength. Bodyweight resistance training should help.
  • Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I wasn't talking about joint, leg, and back pain. Your heart feels like it's going to pop out of your chest when you get it beating that fast? Does that make it clearer?
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    I wasn't talking about joint, leg, and back pain. Your heart feels like it's going to pop out of your chest when you get it beating that fast? Does that make it clearer?

Yes. It's called "exercise". The heart beating is why they call it cardio. Working out your heart makes it stronger.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Yes. It's called "exercise". The heart beating is why they call it cardio. Working out your heart makes it stronger.

This x1000. As long as your doc has cleared you, that "pop out of your chest" feeling is your heart working hard. The more often you make your heart work hard, the stronger it will get and soon, the work that makes it feel like it's going to pop out of your chest, won't feel that way. But that will only happen if you keep working at it consistently.
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    Maybe it's fine... but I don't necessarily want to give myself a heart attack, or at least feel like I was going to... So I would take it easier and build up gradually.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Well. This thread took a weird turn.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

Its probably a lack of core strength - your body is struggling to keep you upright.

It also may be form, but without being able to see your gait, no one here could tell.

^This.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Maybe it's fine... but I don't necessarily want to give myself a heart attack, or at least feel like I was going to... So I would take it easier and build up gradually.

Good. You have your plan. Stick with it and report how you're doing in 3 6 months in your own thread.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Not even once
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options

This would be a fascinating topic to continue discussing in a thread that you specifically create to discuss it
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

If your heart rate is too high, i would suggest you slow your pace, but not your progress. Even if it feels like you are only moving slightly faster than walking, slow your jog to a point where you feel comfortable. Not "sitting on the couch with a beer" comfortable, but "i'm cool, not gonna pass out" comfortable.

BUT. You still have to run whatever distance you set out for. I mean, asthma, overweight, whatever, if you can run half a mile, you should be up to a full mile in a few weeks, not months. The only thing holding you back from that is your mindset.
  • Uhfgood
    Options
    Sorry for bringing everyone down. I won't post in this thread anymore.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Need to work on your core strength. Bodyweight resistance training should help.

Squats and deadlifts
  • jessupbrady
    jessupbrady Posts: 508 Member
    Options

Don't worry my friend. These people are trying to be hard on you to motivate you - kind of like a stereotypical drill sergeant? They mean well.

For those of you that don't know Uhfgood - the fact that he is out and exercising like he is in and of itself is an incredible thing. What's more incredible is he is here asking others for help and sharing his journey.
    While it may not seem like much to many of you - he has overcome a lot of hurdles just to be at this point in his diet/exercise goal.

Uhfgood, it would be very good for you to create a thread to have this discussion. People need to know that they are not alone and you sharing that will help. Having it in another thread will make it easier for people to see it.
  • sssgilber
    sssgilber Posts: 90 Member
    Options

Don't worry my friend. These people are trying to be hard on you to motivate you - kind of like a stereotypical drill sergeant? They mean well.

For those of you that don't know Uhfgood - the fact that he is out and exercising like he is in and of itself is an incredible thing. What's more incredible is he is here asking others for help and sharing his journey.
    While it may not seem like much to many of you - he has overcome a lot of hurdles just to be at this point in his diet/exercise goal.

Uhfgood, it would be very good for you to create a thread to have this discussion. People need to know that they are not alone and you sharing that will help. Having it in another thread will make it easier for people to see it.

Uhfgood, skip the drill sergeants. They're in a different world. Focus on the supportive posts and your own progress.
  • looby79
    looby79 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Good info
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    sssgilber wrote: »

Uhfgood, skip the drill sergeants. They're in a different world. Focus on the supportive posts and your own progress.

you have no idea what the word supportive means.