So you want to start running

Replies

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Coryn2109 wrote: »
    I also find running harder than any other cardio. I can workout on an elliptical trainer for 1/2 hour doing intervals, my elliptical machine has programmes that automatically adjust the resistance to a max of 12 and I can work at a level of 9 for a straight 20 minutes. HR sits around 158 to 162 with no problems.

I also have no problem with bikes and rowers. I can complete a spin class, I admit sometimes i feel like throwing up half way through it, but I still manage to finish it.

However, get me on the road for a run I can barely make it to the corner.

I would love to be able to run, have attempted the C25K programme 3 times now but don't make it past the 1st week. My feet ache and my legs feel heavy.

I am the exact same way and would love to know how to get past that! If I can do the cardio machine with such ease then why is it so hard to run?!

I used to be that way, and I don't know if my issue is the same as yours. My issue is that I would go out and run for about 30 seconds and then either completely collapse (pass out) or at least have to stop for 10 min. and catch my breath. I just couldn't breathe enough to run. I could hike for 15 miles, but not run. I'm a newbie to running, but that always bothered me. There are 2 things I learned from this post that have been a huge help:

1. Running does not have to mean sprinting. Running is often what I used to call jogging.
    2. Start at a slow pace. Since I realized running does not have to be going as fast as I possibly can, I have slowed down and have been able to run further distances. Seriously, I started on the treadmill (and haven't yet left it because it has been cold outside anyway) at 4.5 mph to "run" for a few minutes at a time. Gradually, I've increased speed and then time (sometimes decreasing speed again after increasing time). Last week, I ran at 5.3 mph for 10 min. straight... that took several weeks to build to.

I still struggle to breathe more than I should, and I feel like it might be related to the same reason why I can never use a neti pot (liquids don't go through from one nostril to the other... it is totally plugged) - I'm pretty sure my nose doesn't connect like most people. Or maybe there is a crayon stuck up there from when I was a kid or something (that would be an interesting discovery that could give me huge improvements overnight). Nonetheless, I've been able to make gains by just slowing way down in both intensity and duration, and then slowly building up.
  • Uhfgood
    Uhfgood Posts: 128 Member
    After coming back the next day to read some replies I noticed my post sounded quite whiny -- however you who replied to me didn't call me out on it. Nice people :-)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not doing this to be able to finish a 5k run.

Also I notice a lot of people do c25k -- I tried it once and found it wasn't really practical for me. The jogging I'm doing right now is basically based on land mark and distance. The road around my apartments is a little over half-a-mile for one lap, so 2 laps puts me at a mile. I basically would run around one half of one end of the road, and then walk the rest of the way, now I'm up to the whole end and then part way up the other side. I figure I have two more "steps" until I'm jogging a full mile. Of course these will take me several months to get up to.

In any case, more food FTW!

I'm sure by the time I get there I should enjoy it...Right?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,384 Member
    edited March 2015
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    does anyone here also having trouble running indoor? It just feels longer to finish when I run indoor as opposed to when I run outdoor.

Another thing I experienced is when I'm not eating enough, mostly because sometimes I ate too much the day before, typically after a cheat day, I experienced some kind of dizziness when I stand up. Is this normal?

Also I heard that, doing a crossover of walking and running during my workout session is better in terms of burning fat when compared with full-running. Is that true? I do 5K daily.

Doing less work uses more energy? I suppose if you read it on the Internet it must be true. :confused:

If you need to walk, then walk. If you can keep an easy pace that lets you still have casual short conversation you should do that and not walk or slow down until you can. That's what's best for you.

I believe all of this is covered in the initial post in this discussion.

There is the entire area of Heart Rate zones and keeping your HR in an aerobic zone at 60-70% of max, for fat burning. Higher than that your body is working anaerobically and not as much fat is burned.
    That said I doubt if anyone starting out running is pushing their HR into an anaerobic zone and maintaining it there. If you are pushing your HR that high you need to slow way down because you won't be able to maintain it.
    There is a good description of the zones here: http://www.livestrong.com/article/520860-do-you-really-burn-fat-faster-at-a-lower-heart-rate/
    I don't recommend getting into the whole area of HR monitoring when you are starting out. If you want to start running then run, a little or a lot, whatever works for you. I do recommend starting out slowly and building as you feel stronger and more confident.
  • Curtruns
    Curtruns Posts: 510 Member
    @uhfgood, if you are interested in being able to eat more, I would suggest building some muscle mass as that allows your body to use more calories throughout the day. I am not a weightlifter but do have some weightlifting friends that have huge daily calorie requirements (one was 6,000 calories daily) to maintain. I am sure you can get some suggestions in the forums on how to go about starting that.
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member

Also I heard that, doing a crossover of walking and running during my workout session is better in terms of burning fat when compared with full-running. Is that true? I do 5K daily.

I think you are referring to High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT). I assume it would be the same. Running for 1 minute, walking for a minute. Googling HIIT it has many bennefits including increasing fitness and something about after burn. Still learning.

HIIT is more than just intervals. You are supposed to do the high intensity part at near maximum effort, like 90% of maximum heart rate.

As I'm just starting out on my fitness journey. Any running puts me up to 90% of my maximum heart rate.

I have just started the week 1 of C25K. I wear a Polar HRM and the running interval sees me at about 168bpm. I know I'm unfit. Have no clue on how I'm going to manage week 2. At the moment I treat week one as a HIIT. Might just stick to that for now until my fitness improves.

1. Try to go even slower. When I did C25K, my "jog" wasn't all that faster than my walk. Frankly, it still isn't much faster than it was, and I've been running on-and-off for a few years now.
    2. If you don't feel comfortable moving to week 2, repeat week 1. I repeated 2 or 3 different weeks when I did C25K. There's nothing wrong with it. Just know that eventually you'll need to push yourself to the next level, and it's really more mental than physical.

Happy running! :)
  • shanaber
    gabbo34 wrote: »
    Uhfgood wrote: »
    Reading all the replies on this thread is making me feel left out. Is there ANYONE doing this just so they can eat more? If you want to run 5k's and 10k's and full marathons, more power to ya. Honestly, I couldn't care less about running races. I want to be able to EAT. I'm tired of restricting my caloric intake to less than 1600 kcal. This is why I started to half-walk/half-jog a couple of months ago. I'm not even up to jogging a full mile yet. I won't be to for a while. I may or may not increase my speed and/or my distance. (I'm thinking of just adding another lap via walking when I get to running the full mile which is 2 laps).

Not in any way interested in a 5k. In fact I feel like most of you are in this running -- I want to say cult, but I don't want to be mean -- clique, running clique. That I'm just not in, or like an inside joke which I have no knowledge of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put YOU down for obviously doing what you love, and I'm not feeling depressed as in I'm not sad that I'm not part of this little clique, but still feels like I'm on the outside. (I don't really want to be in this club either.)

Anyone at all that's normal and just wants to eat more and shed more pounds and is just doing it for that reason alone?

(I don't intend to come off as a jerk or superior in any way, but I almost feel as though you 5k+ guys are the popular kids in school, and I'm the shy awkward one who can't talk to the opposite sex -- as far as an analogy goes, and in fact is the way my real life was in school)

I think a lot of us who started running did it for the reasons you said. It was a way to accelerate weight loss, burn more energy, get more net carbs etc. It was a means to an end.

But along the way, it somehow became fun (I would have NEVER imagine saying that before August of last year) and the net carbs were more a bonus than the only reason to do it. IMHO, running is like any other fitness activity, if you really don't enjoy doing it, then it's hard to stick to and probably isn't worth the net calorie gain. I'd feel the same way if there was a thread about swimming, playing indoor soccer or any other actvity I really didn't enjoy. :)
    I agree with @gabbo34‌. I had never run before, hated running in fact and only started as a way to lose weight (and logically eat more or at least continue to eat what I was). It was not easy, it took a long time; it was hard work! But the positive was it did work and I lost weight and as I lost weight, I could run further and enjoyed it more. Somewhere along the way I discovered I really liked it, it was a great stress reliever and I loved being outside and moving. I started running races because they were a good goal to work toward and I found that there is great camaraderie at the races with runners at all levels and they are fun. You may never want to run a race, but if you stick with it you may just find that you enjoy it and enjoy what it does for your health and your body!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member

Up to a limit. I can rarely physically consume the volume of food needed to recover all of my running calories.
  • VryIrishGirl76
    VryIrishGirl76 Posts: 1,167 Member
    Absolutely LOVE this!
  • a778c466
    a778c466 Posts: 141 Member
    Bump
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    a778c466 wrote: »
    Bump

"a778c466 has deactivated their account."

I guess she bumped a bit too hard. LOL
  • dedel7
    dedel7 Posts: 3
    Is it normal for the toes to get blisters after 30 minutes of run?

Or wrong selection of running shoes that made it happen?

Need help. Thanks
  • shanaber
    dedel7 wrote: »

Need help. Thanks
    No it is not normal. You need to make sure your running shoes are fitted properly (at a running store preferably) and aren't too tight or rubbing anywhere. Remember that your feet do swell when you run, so many runners find going up a half or full size works well. If your shoes are fitted properly then I would look at your socks and make sure they are not rubbing and are made of a material to pull moisture away from your feet. I happen to like wool running socks but there are others that you may like better, just have to find what works for you.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Reading all the replies on this thread is making me feel left out. Is there ANYONE doing this just so they can eat more? If you want to run 5k's and 10k's and full marathons, more power to ya. Honestly, I couldn't care less about running races. I want to be able to EAT. I'm tired of restricting my caloric intake to less than 1600 kcal. This is why I started to half-walk/half-jog a couple of months ago. I'm not even up to jogging a full mile yet. I won't be to for a while. I may or may not increase my speed and/or my distance. (I'm thinking of just adding another lap via walking when I get to running the full mile which is 2 laps).

Not in any way interested in a 5k. In fact I feel like most of you are in this running -- I want to say cult, but I don't want to be mean -- clique, running clique. That I'm just not in, or like an inside joke which I have no knowledge of.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to put YOU down for obviously doing what you love, and I'm not feeling depressed as in I'm not sad that I'm not part of this little clique, but still feels like I'm on the outside. (I don't really want to be in this club either.)

Anyone at all that's normal and just wants to eat more and shed more pounds and is just doing it for that reason alone?

(I don't intend to come off as a jerk or superior in any way, but I almost feel as though you 5k+ guys are the popular kids in school, and I'm the shy awkward one who can't talk to the opposite sex -- as far as an analogy goes, and in fact is the way my real life was in school)

Perhaps start your own thread titled "So You Just Want To Eat More" and find similarly unmotivated and unmotivating people?
  • dedel7
    dedel7 Posts: 3
    shanaber wrote: »
    dedel7 wrote: »

Need help. Thanks
    No it is not normal. You need to make sure your running shoes are fitted properly (at a running store preferably) and aren't too tight or rubbing anywhere. Remember that your feet do swell when you run, so many runners find going up a half or full size works well. If your shoes are fitted properly then I would look at your socks and make sure they are not rubbing and are made of a material to pull moisture away from your feet. I happen to like wool running socks but there are others that you may like better, just have to find what works for you.

Thanks!!

• EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    After coming back the next day to read some replies I noticed my post sounded quite whiny -- however you who replied to me didn't call me out on it. Nice people :-)

Glad to know I'm not the only one who's not doing this to be able to finish a 5k run.

Also I notice a lot of people do c25k -- I tried it once and found it wasn't really practical for me. The jogging I'm doing right now is basically based on land mark and distance. The road around my apartments is a little over half-a-mile for one lap, so 2 laps puts me at a mile. I basically would run around one half of one end of the road, and then walk the rest of the way, now I'm up to the whole end and then part way up the other side. I figure I have two more "steps" until I'm jogging a full mile. Of course these will take me several months to get up to.

I'm sure by the time I get there I should enjoy it...Right?

So, I too am not running to finish a 5k run - for me it's about being strong and able. Along the way, I plan to finish a few 10k, a half, a full marathon, a tri-sprint all the way up to a half IM in my 50s. All the while persuing my real interests of ice hiking, trekking, long distance bike travel. The running is part of the means to do what I want. And in that, we are pretty similar and belong to the same "club" you want to eat and live and I want to live and eat.

I'm an on again off again runner. I'm slow. For many reasons I feel I suck at it and only feel good when I can get into longer distances and my "motor" has warmed up. Except I can't run this week because I have an injury. Heck, I got it after running a single mile. Sigh. So my running level right now is below yours.

And I run simply to be outside and to push myself. It has nothing to do with races or distances or calories, for me. There's no need to dump on the people that love to run and call them a clique or a club - the author of this thread, an amazing runner, has offered great advice for those that want to practice this, how to get on board and how to move forward. I found it a useful reminder in many ways on the core things to focus on.

But as I want to improve, I do use those races as goals. Becoming comfortable with yourself, breaking out of social anxiety (from your profile) might be your own goals, and running may be a tool in your arsenal to get there. One needs to push to reach a goal. Your current idea that it will take several months from where you are to really reach one mile leaves me wondering if it isn't your head getting in the way of your body. Food for thought.

Good luck.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    gabbo34 wrote: »

I think a lot of us who started running did it for the reasons you said. It was a way to accelerate weight loss, burn more energy, get more net carbs etc. It was a means to an end.

But along the way, it somehow became fun (I would have NEVER imagine saying that before August of last year) and the net carbs were more a bonus than the only reason to do it. IMHO, running is like any other fitness activity, if you really don't enjoy doing it, then it's hard to stick to and probably isn't worth the net calorie gain. I'd feel the same way if there was a thread about swimming, playing indoor soccer or any other actvity I really didn't enjoy. :)

Exactly! I love food. My partner has worked in the restaurant industry for years, and we're lucky to be friends with some wonderful chefs... I LOVE to be able to eat (most) of that food without totally blowing my calorie goals. Loving running and racing was a secondary thing, and I would NEVER judge anyone who choses to run for reasons different than mine—you're still running.
  • Uhfgood
    Curt911 wrote: »
    @uhfgood, if you are interested in being able to eat more, I would suggest building some muscle mass as that allows your body to use more calories throughout the day. I am not a weightlifter but do have some weightlifting friends that have huge daily calorie requirements (one was 6,000 calories daily) to maintain. I am sure you can get some suggestions in the forums on how to go about starting that.

Yeah I used to have an olympic-sized weight set. Couldn't bring it with me. I know those guys eat tons and tons. I have to stick to some body weight stuff right now. But yeah I get what you mean. It's a good idea.

• Uhfgood
    DavPul wrote: »
    Perhaps start your own thread titled "So You Just Want To Eat More" and find similarly unmotivated and unmotivating people?

You're really, uhh... motivating.
  • Uhfgood
    There's no need to dump on the people that love to run and call them a clique or a club - the author of this thread, an amazing runner, has offered great advice for those that want to practice this...

...Becoming comfortable with yourself, breaking out of social anxiety (from your profile) might be your own goals, and running may be a tool in your arsenal to get there...

...Your current idea that it will take several months from where you are to really reach one mile leaves me wondering if it isn't your head getting in the way of your body

I didn't feel I was 'dumping' on anyone. Excuse me for feeling there's something wrong with me if I want to to jog for some reason other than running races.

I wasn't actually referring to the OP as it's been a long time since I've read the original post (yeah so I will need to read it again soon).

My jogging has nothing to do with my social anxiety -- so has no bearing on any goals I have...

As far as taking me several months, what I mean is I'm covering a mile partly jogging, partly walking, I'm taking it very slow, so that I can jog the whole mile without walking and without throwing up... So I increase the distance I jog and decrease the distance I walk, and my current amount of jogging is going to take me at least 3 weeks to get my lungs up to capacity. I'm fat, I've had asthma as a kid, cut me some slack. I want to take it easy so that I don't get burned out from going to hard at the start. (This is usually why I quit a lot of stuff having to do with exercising... wanting to do too much too fast and then burning out and then ultimately not doing anything).

• Uhfgood
    Thanks to all of you who did not treat me like I was acting like a jerk, even if I was a little. Also thanks for the advice, and thanks to OP for his original advice.