So you want to start running

Replies

• DeeTee68 wrote: »

Go to My Home then Settings then Change email address/email preferences and tick your preference

I've got everything ticked, it emails me the newsletters but I'm not getting anything from the forum. I've checked spam too. :(
  • I run 5 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week.I never go faster than I feel comfortable.
    After 5 minutes of jog, I feel bit better but my brother says he doesnt know why I do it since at that speed and time It doesnt makes much difference...
    Is that true?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Munitic wrote: »
    I run 5 minutes a day, 3-4 times a week.I never go faster than I feel comfortable.
    After 5 minutes of jog, I feel bit better but my brother says he doesnt know why I do it since at that speed and time It doesnt makes much difference...
    Is that true?

A difference compared to what? I mean, 20 minutes of exercise in a week is better than no exercise. If you want to run a 5k or something, then yeah, its not doing much in the way of progression, but everyone has to start somewhere.
  • Thank you. A lot of great information to get me started.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member

I believe there is a "Bridge to 10k" app that uses the same nice lady. However, it might drop you down to running intervals again. If you don't want to do that, then just keep increasing the length of your long run, no more than 10% each week (and actually you can do less than that when first building up).

Thank you, I don't fancy doing intervals again, it temporarily dropped me down to an interval day once when I'd been running continuously and I actually found it more difficult.

BTW is there any way to get this message board to email one when somebody replies, because I didn't know you had replied until I came back today. Thanks.

I would look into the Hal Higdon Beginner 5K plan to build on your base. It's based on distance, not time, so you'll end up running the full 5K and can then move on to one of his 10k plans. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program
  • Thank you so much for this post. I know I'm on the right track for my first 5k!
  • Hi, so I tried running a couple months ago. I was getting into it and I really enjoy it. But I saw myself progressively going less and less. I think it's due to the back pain I was feeling and I thought, may it's just my bed, posture, etc. I have decent running posture. My lower back just has been killing me. I barely ran once January rolled around. I ran for 15 minutes last night to see, and still my lower back hurt once I stopped.

Is there another part of my body I need to focus on? I;m assuming it may be the weight I'm carrying too that could be the problem? Any suggestions to help improve this would be great because I actually enjoy running once I get out there and do it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Hi, so I tried running a couple months ago. I was getting into it and I really enjoy it. But I saw myself progressively going less and less. I think it's due to the back pain I was feeling and I thought, may it's just my bed, posture, etc. I have decent running posture. My lower back just has been killing me. I barely ran once January rolled around. I ran for 15 minutes last night to see, and still my lower back hurt once I stopped.

Is there another part of my body I need to focus on? I;m assuming it may be the weight I'm carrying too that could be the problem? Any suggestions to help improve this would be great because I actually enjoy running once I get out there and do it.

I have chronic back issues with pain during most activities, so I can tell when something makes it hurt less. I can tell you that strengthening my core did wonders for me. It took my pain during running from a 6 to a 3 (the same amount of pain as walking). It appears my core and back muscles were too weak to stabilize my back during running.

If your back pain is due to a herniated disk, it wasn't the running per se that made it happen. These seem to be aggravated by silliest reasons, like reaching out to pick up something or even just sitting up from a chair, but this was not the real cause. A herniated disk is a process of wrong movements/posture in your daily life over a period of time which causes it to finally fail. So it might not have been your running posture, it just coincided with running.

Now if you have degenerative disk disease, running may not be your best cardio option, so you really need to get checked.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Is there another part of my body I need to focus on?

Not sure if it is the same kind of issue... But I used to have back pain too. The first time I went hiking with my friends, my lower back hurts so badly. Later, I found out that I walk and stand with anterior pelvic. The pelvic tilt exercise and the bridge exercise helped. These you can do in bed, and the pelvic tilt feels very much like a lower back stretch, very comfy to do before falling asleep :)
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,373 Member
    edited January 2015
    This is an excellent write up for new and experienced runners to refer to, one that I wish had been available when I started running 3 years ago.

I read through all of the pages of posts and the one thing I didn't see was anything on replacing your shoes. It is important to remember that you can't just buy a pair and wear them until they fall apart. The supporting structures get compressed over time and you need to replace them even though they look like they are still just fine. If you have been running in the same pair of shoes for several months and start to have pain you may need a new pair of shoes. I learned this the hard way and had to take time off to recover...

Also if you want/need to ice, especially for shin splints or PF, try using kid sized paper cups, you can tear them down enough to apply the ice directly to the area and still have paper to hold on to.

@oblongmcginty‌ - at the top of the page above the search icon there is a star you can click to bookmark this thread. It won't notify you unless you are tagged with an @ as I did here but it will indicate (see the notifications bell at the very top of the page on the right) that updates have occurred.
  • Tenar13
    Tenar13 Posts: 49 Member
    loratliff wrote: »

I believe there is a "Bridge to 10k" app that uses the same nice lady. However, it might drop you down to running intervals again. If you don't want to do that, then just keep increasing the length of your long run, no more than 10% each week (and actually you can do less than that when first building up).

Thank you, I don't fancy doing intervals again, it temporarily dropped me down to an interval day once when I'd been running continuously and I actually found it more difficult.

BTW is there any way to get this message board to email one when somebody replies, because I didn't know you had replied until I came back today. Thanks.

I would look into the Hal Higdon Beginner 5K plan to build on your base. It's based on distance, not time, so you'll end up running the full 5K and can then move on to one of his 10k plans. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/50933/5K-Novice-Training-Program

When I finished c25k I picked up on the JTIP podcasts http://jogtunes.com/. These are timed runs with tunes with a beat to run to - you don't get quite as much feedback but they start at around 30 minutes and go up to 50 and on the website you can pick your episode based on the beats per minute. I love them - lots of variety and it was a great add on to the couch to 5k when I got bored of the final episode.
  • DeeTee68
    DeeTee68 Posts: 198 Member
    Just had a thought watching a film. Everyone goes on about wearing the right shoes for running how important it is but yet Army folks run for miles and miles in boots how's that ? Do they have a lot of injuries Army personal or they doing something we are missing ? Just a thought.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    DeeTee68 wrote: »
    Just had a thought watching a film. Everyone goes on about wearing the right shoes for running how important it is but yet Army folks run for miles and miles in boots how's that ? Do they have a lot of injuries Army personal or they doing something we are missing ? Just a thought.

Yes. They have a lot of injuries. A friend of mine had "relatively healthy" feet went he went into the Marines. A year later his arches were shot.

Also, most of them aren't actually running as much as a hobby 5K runner much less someone running marathons or more. Once they get out of basic the amount of running they do goes waaaaaay down unless they do it on their own - in which case they're doing it because they want to and are going out and buying shoes.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    I've been using the treadmill to alternate alternate running and walking. There is a 5k program on the treadmill, and my 2 times this week were 47 min. and 42 min. (I don't remember how many seconds). What should I shoot for before actually signing up for a 5K? I assume I will want to achieve that time a few times (not just a really good day once) and maybe even do that outside a few times too since the environment is different.

When I look at 5K results, I tend to notice a lot of people in the 30-40 min. range, so I don't feel like the 40-50 min. range makes me ready yet.
  • sjohnny
    I've been using the treadmill to alternate alternate running and walking. There is a 5k program on the treadmill, and my 2 times this week were 47 min. and 42 min. (I don't remember how many seconds). What should I shoot for before actually signing up for a 5K? I assume I will want to achieve that time a few times (not just a really good day once) and maybe even do that outside a few times too since the environment is different.

When I look at 5K results, I tend to notice a lot of people in the 30-40 min. range, so I don't feel like the 40-50 min. range makes me ready yet.

If you can do the distance you can do the distance. You can always find a reason to put it off. Or you can just go do it and see how you do. Your first one is a PR regardless so just go do it and do the best you can. Then you'll have an "official" time to better on the next one.
  • Awesome advice. Just starting to run again. I was using c25k and not wearing the right shoes. Tore the heck out of my heels and had to stop. Went to Fleet Feet and got a good pair of shoes with Insoles. It does make a difference. The person helping me also taught me a marathon tie which eliminated my shoes sliding on my heels and the insoles help cushion impact. Highly recommend getting help when you are starting. When I was younger nothing seemed to bother me, but starting to run again in my mid 40s after a serious back injury has proven to be challenging. I will keep checking back for more ideas and suggestions. Is there a way to follow a poster verses a thread?
  • sjohnny
    edited January 2015
    Awesome advice. Just starting to run again. I was using c25k and not wearing the right shoes. Tore the heck out of my heels and had to stop. Went to Fleet Feet and got a good pair of shoes with Insoles. It does make a difference. The person helping me also taught me a marathon tie which eliminated my shoes sliding on my heels and the insoles help cushion impact. Highly recommend getting help when you are starting. When I was younger nothing seemed to bother me, but starting to run again in my mid 40s after a serious back injury has proven to be challenging. I will keep checking back for more ideas and suggestions. Is there a way to follow a poster verses a thread?

Not since the %upgrade
  • How would I lol a 2 mile walk workout video ? I did the half hour workout but im not sure how to go about logging it
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Yawnetu wrote: »
    This thread makes me rethink running. I never considered it because it seemed so hard, and I was afraid it would damage my knees in the long run (no pun intended).

So...could one run into their elder years, as Ernestine Shepherd (one of my heroes!) has kept up her bodybuilding into her late 70s? Or is this something you have to give up by the time you hit your 60s or 70s due to the pounding on the joints (knees, hips)?

If you train properly, there is no reason why you cannot run into your 70s and beyond. Studies indicate that the people who starts running properly (i.e - does not try to do too much too soon, and that are uninjured to begin with) actually have less of an incidence of arthritis than those who do not run.

npr.org/2011/03/28/134861448/put-those-shoes-on-running-wont-kill-your-knees

runnersworld.com/injury-prevention-recovery/running-might-protect-against-knee-osteoarthritis

Basically, being overweight and inactive is far, far worse for your knees than running ever will be.

Agree.

The only upside to overweight is the fact that the increased weight puts more stress on the skeleton, thereby decreasing a bit the risk of osteoporosis. But if a person is at a healthy weight, I'd argue that the "pounding" during running is actually good for the bones. They become stronger with more trabeculae being formed, decreasing osteoporosis risk.

The myth of running destroying knees is due to beginners pursuing the art in a non-artsy way with no respect for bodily limitations.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    sjohnny wrote: »

If you can do the distance you can do the distance. You can always find a reason to put it off. Or you can just go do it and see how you do. Your first one is a PR regardless so just go do it and do the best you can. Then you'll have an "official" time to better on the next one.

True. The adrenaline of race day ends up shaving a few minutes off your time anyway.

And yes, a lot of people will run in the 30s. Some in the 20s. Some sub 20.

And some people will walk the whole thing because they like doing it and get a free tshirt. Just go out, set a bench mark, get used to the race experience, then use that to set a goal.