So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    oothy wrote: »
    Thnx! Running I'd definitely not my best friend. How about breathing while running?

Don't forget it? :)

haha, yes.

Mostly don't overthink it. If you're huffing and puffing and struggling to breathe (and you're not doing some intense speed workout), slow down. Some people will tell you to breathe in through the nose and out through the mouth, but [shrug]. New runners usually have irregular breathing, while veterans tend to settle into a pattern. I usually breathe in for three steps and out for two (I will quicken this pattern for speed work).
  • Laramiepayne
    Laramiepayne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    How do you control your breathing while running/ jogging ?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    mmabry72 wrote: »
    Great post!
    My question is I just started running again back in November. I have a few 5k's under my belt but I have never been a serious runner, until now.
    I am trying to run 5 times a week weather permitting. I started with 2miles and am now up to 3 miles and I am focused on getting my times down. I currently average 9:13 per mile and I am obsessed with getting my time down to under a 9 min mile (way under would be great). Am I going about it wrong? Should I focus more on distance and not time? One contributing factor is time itself. I keep telling myself if I get my times down I can fit more miles into my mornings? What to do?

Thanks

First off, a 9ish minute mile for someone who has only been running a few months is great!

As for the question, you're still at the point where more miles will benefit you more than running faster. Instead of 5 2-3 mile jogs a week, try 4, but make one longer. Something like 3x3 and 1x4. work that one long run up. You don't have to make all the runs longer, but one long run will help a lot more. For a relatively new runner, the easiest way to drop your 5k time is to train to run 10k. Also, know that there are different paces when running. You should not be trying to PR each and every workout. Racing is for race day. Your pace should slow on the longer runs. That is what is supposed to happen. After a few more months of getting your mileage up, you can ease into 5k directed speedwork.
  • mmabry72
    mmabry72 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Great advise! If we get some temps in the + numbers soon I will try to get one run to 4 miles. I started out with the goal of running 5 miles but I got so obsessed with breaking 9 minutes I kind of lost sight of that. Sounds like I can cut back to 4 times a week and be fine also? My off days now I throw in P90x3. Any other good "at home" work outs for off days?
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options

As said in the post above yours, don't over think it. Just breathe. If you feel like you're dying, and you're not trying to do some sort of speed work, then slow down, because you're going too fast.

Run at a pace where you feel you could have a conversation with someone next to you.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »

As said in the post above yours, don't over think it. Just breathe. If you feel like you're dying, and you're not trying to do some sort of speed work, then slow down, because you're going too fast.

Run at a pace where you feel you could have a conversation with someone next to you.
    Is it okay to talk to yourself? I hardly ever run with anyone. How do I know if I can carry on a conversation unless I talk to myself.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    brandiuntz wrote: »

Is it okay to talk to yourself? I hardly ever run with anyone. How do I know if I can carry on a conversation unless I talk to myself.

I say go for it! Might even be good for safety. Who's going to bother someone talking to themselves?
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

The only thing I want to add is that many naturally find a rhythm where the lungs work at the beat of the legs.

What the ratio is of (the number of steps taken for an in-breath) to (number of steps taken for an out-breath) varies between people.

Often I read three steps for in vs. two steps for out, but there's also two in for two out and other combos. This part is what you shouldn't focus on at all, but merely check in the future if you're curious about how you work.

It's simply about creating an experince of movement that is harmonious somehow and where the air flows in a way that isn't blocked by some body part crunching the lungs. Hope it makes sense?

The same idea is to be seen in bodyweight training (one exhale when "contracting" and one inhale when opening the body back up somehow) or yoga (Ashtanga moves according to the breath so that one asana is an inhale, the next an exhale).
  • riotgurl87
    riotgurl87 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    im really unfit and over weight I can walk for hours usually 4 but I want to start running badly for my physical and mental health :) I currently weigh around 20 stone tho is it even possible to start couch to 5 k or should I try aerobics first or something ?
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I've posted here before, but since I know we have a lot of new additions, I thought I'd share and update my story. This thread was a huge inspiration to me when I started running back in October.

Since then, I've run two 5Ks (finishing the second one in under 30 minutes!). But perhaps best of all, since completing C25K (highly recommend it), I've continued running, building mileage, registered for races, and loving every minute of it. This weekend, I ran a 15K (that's 9.3 miles!) without stopping to walk, and with an average pace of about 10:30 min./mile. If you had told me a year ago that I could run almost 10 miles, I would have laughed in your face.

I'm running a half-marathon March 29. So, the bottom line is it's not easy, but you might find that it gets fun and addicting. Take care of your body, get good shoes, and just go run—slow, fast, somewhere in-between, it's all running!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    riotgurl87 wrote: »
    im really unfit and over weight I can walk for hours usually 4 but I want to start running badly for my physical and mental health :) I currently weigh around 20 stone tho is it even possible to start couch to 5 k or should I try aerobics first or something ?

Its possible, there are some stories in here about those who were overweight when beginning to run. Reading some of those will give you an idea of what to expect. The same basic rules apply - get good shoes, and go slow. Shoes perhaps become even more important, since you may need extra support at first.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I've posted here before, but since I know we have a lot of new additions, I thought I'd share and update my story. This thread was a huge inspiration to me when I started running back in October.

Since then, I've run two 5Ks (finishing the second one in under 30 minutes!). But perhaps best of all, since completing C25K (highly recommend it), I've continued running, building mileage, registered for races, and loving every minute of it. This weekend, I ran a 15K (that's 9.3 miles!) without stopping to walk, and with an average pace of about 10:30 min./mile. If you had told me a year ago that I could run almost 10 miles, I would have laughed in your face.

I'm running a half-marathon March 29. So, the bottom line is it's not easy, but you might find that it gets fun and addicting. Take care of your body, get good shoes, and just go run—slow, fast, somewhere in-between, it's all running!

Awesome! Congrats on all the success!
  • SoulFlower298
    Options
    Awesome info!! Is there a group for people that are actually using C25k? Anyone want to start one? Thanks in advance!
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Awesome info!! Is there a group for people that are actually using C25k? Anyone want to start one? Thanks in advance!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k
  • katelynmccloy
    katelynmccloy Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I love this post thank you! When I first started I barely could run a mile now I can run 2 miles straight then a 30-60 sec walking break then run for the next 3 miles! I love running! I've been getting blisters on the sides of my feet recently tho.. What's a great shoe to run in? Looking for more runner friends as well please add me :)
  • loratliff
    Options
    I love this post thank you! When I first started I barely could run a mile now I can run 2 miles straight then a 30-60 sec walking break then run for the next 3 miles! I love running! I've been getting blisters on the sides of my feet recently tho.. What's a great shoe to run in? Looking for more runner friends as well please add me :)

I'd get fitted for shoes—there's no one-size fits all. But you can definitely minimize blisters with BodyGlide and good (not cotton!) socks.
  • katelynmccloy
    Options
    Lmao I've been using cotton socks
  • loratliff
    Options

Voila, blisters almost instantly! Look for something mostly polyester. I love these, and the price is right for a 3-pack: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/ASICS_Intensity_Low_Cut/descpage-AWILC3P.html
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

That's hilarious!
  • katelynmccloy
    Options
    Well thank you