So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of insanely expensive technical socks but they are perfect. Keep my feet warm in freezing cold weather and cool in the summer heat. Also they are left and right with no seams to cause blisters.

The other pair I have was a test purchase too but slightly thinner and lighter somehow, maybe just buy testers like this first? I'll go with the other kind when I need more socks, glad I didn't buy more of the cheaper kind.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    AglaeaC wrote: »
    I have a pair of insanely expensive technical socks but they are perfect. Keep my feet warm in freezing cold weather and cool in the summer heat. Also they are left and right with no seams to cause blisters.

The other pair I have was a test purchase too but slightly thinner and lighter somehow, maybe just buy testers like this first? I'll go with the other kind when I need more socks, glad I didn't buy more of the cheaper kind.

Just cut out all the experimentation and go buy Balegas. Best. socks. EVER.

I prefer the Hidden Comfort for easy runs and the Hidden Contour for more intense runs.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »

Just cut out all the experimentation and go buy Balegas. Best. socks. EVER.

I prefer the Hidden Comfort for easy runs and the Hidden Contour for more intense runs.

My better pair is X-Socks. Will check those out too, but might be an online import in my case.
  • RunningMartin
    RunningMartin Posts: 4 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Great post! - I've been running for around 3 years and only in the last 12 months competitively. I joined MFP around 5 months ago in hope of reducing some kilos to help improve speed, lighter the load the faster you can run!

I've gone from 84 kg to 75.8 kg since I started logging calories and already shredded 2 minutes from my 10km time "36:24". I have a goal weight of 70 kilos " height 178cm - Male - 42 Years old".

I train nearly every day logging around 80 / 110 km a week mixed with Easy / Hills / Intervals and Tempo runs.

I use Garmin for logging all my sessions, feel free to add me - Link >> Garmin

This year I have around 15 / 20 Races with my main being the Berlin Marathon in September!
  • karla0917
    Options
    Every time I run I get shin splints! When I get them, I was told you have to stop running and heal. I kind of gave up but would like to try again! Thanks :)
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    karla0917 wrote: »
    Every time I run I get shin splints! When I get them, I was told you have to stop running and heal. I kind of gave up but would like to try again! Thanks :)

How do you run? From no running to lots of running? Do you use a programme? C25K should have you avoid shin splints as much as possible, unless you overdo things on your own accord.
  • paulinecardinalmitchell
    Options

Try using compression socks when you run or calf sleeves. They do wonders for shin splints for me anyway. I was getting them when I was training for my first Marathon. Now I use them for almost all my runs love them!!! Good Luck
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options

How do you run? From no running to lots of running? Do you use a programme? C25K should have you avoid shin splints as much as possible, unless you overdo things on your own accord.

This, and have you been fitted for shoes?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

As others have asked, what is your program/shoe situation like? Calf sleeves are nice but they could just be treating a symptom instead of a root problem.

Also, are you running on concrete? If so, switch to asphalt or trails. They are easier on the system when starting out.
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Also, are you running on concrete? If so, switch to asphalt or trails. They are easier on the system when starting out.

Buuuuuut, if concrete is your only option, don't quit! Asphalt and trails aren't always an option where I live (NYC), but even starting out, any pain I had was alleviated within a week of getting new shoes!
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    What loratliff asked, too.

As others have asked, what is your program/shoe situation like? Calf sleeves are nice but they could just be treating a symptom instead of a root problem.

Ah, my kind of reply. I never favour treating a symptom, if there is a chance to prevent the disease altogether.

My runs take me over a multitude of surfaces; asphalt, sand road, trail, and more. Supposedly this is the best usually, in the long run (quite literally) at least.
  • josephsgoddess
    josephsgoddess Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    ok, colour me stupid but i don't care. I am overweight. period. i am 5ft5 200lbs. I have arthritis in every joint and that's the tip of the iceberg but all that matters when excercise is involved. I have recently started walking on a treadmill to lose some weight and get healthy. I have lost 20lbs quite quickly and am walking at quite a brisk pace, but i feel like running. My body wants to run. the problem is my knees. Is there anything i can do to make my knees not kill when i pick the pace up past a jog? It's hard to espress, but i just want to run but my body (knees) is rejecting the idea. Is there anything i can do to make it easier on my knees?
  • maxphia32
    maxphia32 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the post. Great info!
  • karla0917
    Options

• karla0917
    Options
    I usually try to go slow because I can't handle too much in the beginning. So I run, then walk, until I get to about 3 miles. Then my legs hurt. I would run usually in my neighborhood - hills and on road about 3 times a week. Maybe I will try this program and go to a running sneaker store to evaluate me..thanks for your input.
  • AglaeaC
    Options
    I usually try to go slow because I can't handle too much in the beginning. So I run, then walk, until I get to about 3 miles. Then my legs hurt. I would run usually in my neighborhood - hills and on road about 3 times a week. Maybe I will try this program and go to a running sneaker store to evaluate me..thanks for your input.

3 miles is a lot for a beginner. I suggest you look into couch-to-5K, the time-based version.
  • glhFitForLife
    glhFitForLife Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ok, colour me stupid but i don't care. I am overweight. period. i am 5ft5 200lbs. I have arthritis in every joint and that's the tip of the iceberg but all that matters when excercise is involved. I have recently started walking on a treadmill to lose some weight and get healthy. I have lost 20lbs quite quickly and am walking at quite a brisk pace, but i feel like running. My body wants to run. the problem is my knees. Is there anything i can do to make my knees not kill when i pick the pace up past a jog? It's hard to espress, but i just want to run but my body (knees) is rejecting the idea. Is there anything i can do to make it easier on my knees?

Why don't you slow the treadmill down and do a very slow jog. Just because you walk fast doesn't mean you have to go faster when jogging. If your knees hurt you can get supports for them and just try a 1 minute jog during your walking and increase it from there. Just slow the treadmill down and try it that way. Good luck xx
    Oh and well done on the superb weight loss so far xx
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

Keep doing a brisk pace walk. All that walking is helping your body develop the strength in your joints. You're doing everything perfect. There's no reason to change that. If you injure your knees so that you can't even walk you're going to be on the sidelines for a while. Losing 20 pounds is amazing. That helps your knees tremendously. Be patient.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    Is there any way to increase oxygen uptake prior to running? I ask because there is 0 distance I can run and still be able to carry on a conversation. My nose/throat (primarily) and lungs (secondly) just don't seem to have the capacity. Don't misunderstand... I can hike 15 miles or more over hilly terrain, but when I try to run, I get about 200 feet before I'm gasping for air and have to stop (otherwise I start to lose visual focus and eventually will collapse if I try to keep going... which is usually ok unless I go down while crossing a street - that was almost a problem once). I just can't seem to bring in and absorb oxygen that fast. What can I do to "get started" at this point?
    The only thing that really works is to slow down to the point you can still breathe. It takes time to develop your cardiovascular endurance.

This. Run as slowly or slower than you walk. Really, if that is what it takes to run rather than walk, then move forwards like your feet were stuck to the ground with glue. It is depressing sometimes when someone breezes past you in a fast walk, but such is life.

You will get faster, though. Only a couple of years ago I thought I'd never be able to run, but now 30 minutes continuous running is no problem. Couch-to-5K has you running for 30-second intervals in the first week and I genuinely thought I'd never move on to week 2, but I learned to embrace the jiggling butt/thighs, the tomato face, the sweaty skin, the sore body, and the tight clothes. It is within your grasp too.

This is very true. I actually started running slower than I walk. I run on the treadmill so here is what I did: I set the speed to jogging pace, then gradually took it down to the point where it's slow enough to sustain for at least a minute but not slow to the point where it becomes an exercise in balance. That sweet spot happened to be barely over 3 mph (I walk at 4.2 mph). Now I run comfortably at 5 mph. Still quite slow, but it's a massive improvement that I can finally run faster than I walk.

I had to come back and say this worked. Yesterday, I spent an hour on the treadmill. Most of it was walking, with some sporadic running when I felt like I could. But the longest run was 10 min. at 5 mph with a slight incline even. I suppose I just needed to slow way down in order to speed up and sustain. I have a long way to go, but thank you all for the help!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi all! So I started my health kick Sept. 2014 with mfp and a C25k. I finished my C25k on Thanksgiving by running a my first 5k YAY! :) I started running on trails, then my street, then on a treadmill. I started having leg and knee pains in my right leg. So I rested and iced etc. etc. not running for a week then started running again which then started hurting again so I rested and iced. Finally saved up some $ and got new shoes and inserts for them which has helped. I've lost 40lbs with the help of running and my food choices but I'm still heavier at 5'3 175lbs. I've come to love running...really it's the challenge and the fact that by doing the C25k that has truly opened the doors to running for me. I've signed up for a 10k in May and I'm excited but nervous to do it. I do struggle to run 3.1 miles and I know the only way to get better is to run. I have looked into a couple different training schedules and kinda combined them to hopefully be able to run a 10k fairly easily and to lose more weight. So I'm wondering if this is the best way to go about training for a 10k.

Sunday- long run (right now 3 miles)
    Monday- strength training and stretching
    Tuesday- easy run 2miles or intervals or strides (20 sec fast 2min slow)
    Wednesday- cross training 30min and strength training
    Thursday- core or rest day
    Friday- intervals or strides easy run
    Saturday- rest day

I have rest days on my 12 hour work days so those can't change. Of course every week changes and gets longer, harder, pace gets shorter etc etc. My next long run is 4 miles...and at the end of 16 weeks it has me running upwards to 8-9 miles. Is this a good plan? Is there something else I should be doing? My goal is to actually run the 10k, no walking. Any tips would be appreciated!! Thank you.