So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice on running please. My grandad passed away at the beginning of the month so my 2 cousins (who run often) are doing a 10k in august to raise money for the brilliant hospital. They asked if I would like to join them and I have jumped at the chance. All his 3 grandchildren together to make him proud. One thing though, I have never ever ran. Well maybe 10 years ago at school. I have read up on it and what to do as a beginner but I'm finding it really hard. To begin with I did 30 secs jog then 30 secs walk. I've been doing it 3 weeks every other day. Today I made progress and managed to jog for 1 min then a small break and so on, I even cracked 1 min 30 sec. I'm just a bit unsure if I'm going to be ready in time for august. My cousin said as long as I can walk 6 miles I should be fine. But don't really want to finish and everyone has gone home lol. Anyway, thanks for reading and any help appreciated.

Just keep at it! I started in February barely able to make it a minute. Now I can do 5 miles on a good day, more, possibly, but that's the end of my current route. Definitely more with some walking included. And I had a couple weeks in there where I didn't do anything.

I started out with couch to 5k, then moved on to doing my own thing.

You can be ready to finish by August, no problem!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice on running please. My grandad passed away at the beginning of the month so my 2 cousins (who run often) are doing a 10k in august to raise money for the brilliant hospital. They asked if I would like to join them and I have jumped at the chance. All his 3 grandchildren together to make him proud. One thing though, I have never ever ran. Well maybe 10 years ago at school. I have read up on it and what to do as a beginner but I'm finding it really hard. To begin with I did 30 secs jog then 30 secs walk. I've been doing it 3 weeks every other day. Today I made progress and managed to jog for 1 min then a small break and so on, I even cracked 1 min 30 sec. I'm just a bit unsure if I'm going to be ready in time for august. My cousin said as long as I can walk 6 miles I should be fine. But don't really want to finish and everyone has gone home lol. Anyway, thanks for reading and any help appreciated.

You can follow a Couch to 5K plan (C25K), then move to a 10K plan. They'll give you structure for pushing yourself (but not too much). The biggest thing with trying to go a longer distance (time) is to slow down your pace. The goal is to run at a conversational pace. Easier said than done in the beginning, but keep at it and you'll hit it.

A little bit further each week will get you to your goal. And don't worry about everyone leaving before you're done. Won't happen. You can look up the official cut off times the race has and make it a goal to run/walk by that time. Plenty of people run/walk races. Or even walk the whole thing.
  • emma_simmons87
    emma_simmons87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I feel a lot better now. I have definitely seen an improvement in the last 3 weeks so I'm on the right track
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your replies. I feel a lot better now. I have definitely seen an improvement in the last 3 weeks so I'm on the right track

You should definitely try doing C25k, it's helpful, and I've noticed a big difference in only 2 weeks. You can also join our conversation on the C25k thread for motivation! It'll really help you keep on track. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/comment/32679850#Comment_32679850
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    Just stuff, I shall come over to that thread. We have park runs here which are nationwide. They are on a sat and are 5k. That's my aim in the next few weeks.
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    W1d1 of c25k completed. Omg I'm so pleased with myself
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    W1d1 of c25k completed. Omg I'm so pleased with myself

@emma_simmons87 - Yay! - keep it up and you will be so ready for August! You got this girl!!
  • Sal_AQ
    Sal_AQ Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Well written blog about running
  • emma_simmons87
    Options
    Thank you :)
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Bump, since this thread appears to no longer be stickied for easy access.
  • ZoeLifts
    ZoeLifts Posts: 10,347 Member
    Options
    Bump, since this thread appears to no longer be stickied for easy access.
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    It looks like this thread and the other ones that used to be on top are all in one new thread at the top called Most Helpful Posts
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not sure if this a comedy or tragedy, but that thread says this in the OP...but it is also a closed thread.:lol:
    If you wish to suggest topics for this category, please post it here.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I go off on a running vacation and its anarchy with the stickies! PURE ANARCHY.

• cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    JoRocka wrote: »
    why is running such a thing?

puts on shoes- goes out side... runs.

Why are we over thinking EVERYTHING. it's running.

that being said- great post/write up.

Because if you haven't ran, or done any other form of exercise for years 'puts on shoes- goes out side .... runs' can result in serious long term injury.

So, if someone is nice enough to take the time and trouble to put up an informative post then maybe a reader will take the advice and not end up with a long term injury that costs thousands to correct!

Great post, thanks for the advice ThickMcRun :smiley:
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of questions about how to get started running, today. Feels like this old post could use a bump.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    @diannethegeek - maybe you need to give those asking the URL to this... just a thought. They can read through to see if any of the information answers their questions or they can post the questions here. Like several runners on here we have it as a favorite so we see when someone posts to it.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    @diannethegeek - maybe you need to give those asking the URL to this... just a thought. They can read through to see if any of the information answers their questions or they can post the questions here. Like several runners on here we have it as a favorite so we see when someone posts to it.

I have each time. It's not uncommon to bump a post for further visibility for others. Obviously I'll stop now that I know it bothers the posters here.