So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    Hi, no question today just wanted to share a small success for me :) I ran my first 10k yesterday at the Cleveland marathon. I ran it in 68minutes which was under my goal of 70minutes! yay!! So to all the experienced runners out there that answer our inexperienced runners questions, Thank you! You help make our goals possible. :D

That's F A N T A S T I C ! ! !

Seriously, congratulations! :smile:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    dyemysoul wrote: »
    Hi, no question today just wanted to share a small success for me :) I ran my first 10k yesterday at the Cleveland marathon. I ran it in 68minutes which was under my goal of 70minutes! yay!! So to all the experienced runners out there that answer our inexperienced runners questions, Thank you! You help make our goals possible. :D

Congrats! That was actually my very first distance race, in 2005. Seeing the half marathoners getting medals is what made me want to run one! Fantastic job!
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    KOW75 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on plantar fasciitis? I have been running for a year and have a new, fairly mild case. Am I doing more damage by running through it?

I have felt some twinges and kept running through it, while stretching and icing (stretch your calves as well as your arches). check out the link provided, and if it starts to get worse go see a PT.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    KOW75 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on plantar fasciitis? I have been running for a year and have a new, fairly mild case. Am I doing more damage by running through it?

There were no pictures in that article so I didn't read it. But I had a horrible case of PF a couple of years ago and the stretching my arches and calves helped but also using a baseball and rolling my calves on it starting from just above the Achilles and slowly working all the way up to just below the knee and rolling my arches on a golf ball helped the most.
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you, @ThickMcRunFast, for taking the time to put this all together. I have gleaned some helpful stuff here! @Bl_coleman I have very wide feet with over-developed arches, and since 9th grade I have been faithful to the Saucony brand of running shoes. They have wide widths available, and sometimes I'll even get Men's because they are wider than women's. I just try a bunch on, run around, jump, hop, skip, whatever, and when it feels good you REALLY will be able to tell. I do regularly try other brands on at my running shoe store suggestion, but never pick them because the Sauconys feel best. Right now I'm in the Saucony Trail TRE3 in normal width, and am very happy with them. As others suggested, go to a good running store to have your stride/gait analysis, they will have a good selection of Sauconys, and make sure they will let you return them if they cause issues. Finding your right shoe truly is a trial & error ordeal, but makes all the difference in your foot/leg health when you're regularly running. You may find that your favorite brand is different than mine; whatever works! Good luck!
  • SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, I didn't read all of the posts on here because it would take me forever, so I was hoping some of you more seasoned runners could help me out with a question.

I'm just starting out with running, I've done two days of C25k, and I was wondering, is it really essential for me to rest every second day? Could I do 5 days a week instead of three, and rest on Sunday and Wednesday or something? Or do you think I should start out slow and build up to it so I don't hurt myself? Both the first two days were pretty easy for me, I completed them both without any issues, and I don't have any sore muscles today (except for my bad ankle). I was thinking about just going through it faster and if I start getting super sore later on, slowing down then. I'm hoping to run in my first 5k in late August.

Let me know what you all think, also a can anyone recommend a no artificial sweetener protein powder I can get in Canada, I can't find my regular Australian one since I moved.

Thanks!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Both the first two days were pretty easy for me, I completed them both without any issues, and I don't have any sore muscles today (except for my bad ankle).

Can you define or put some context as to what "bad ankle" means?

My personal opinion: If you are careful about listening to your body, and have no real health issues (including joint problems), don't push your pace, and are committed to doing post work out stretching, there's no reason why someone couldn't jack up the C25K program to custom-fit their current abilities.

That said, as time spent on your feet running increases, rest (recovery) becomes more important.

Back to your ankle issue - let's hear more about it.
  • SimoneBee12
    Options
    mwyvr wrote: »
    Both the first two days were pretty easy for me, I completed them both without any issues, and I don't have any sore muscles today (except for my bad ankle).

Can you define or put some context as to what "bad ankle" means?

My personal opinion: If you are careful about listening to your body, and have no real health issues (including joint problems), don't push your pace, and are committed to doing post work out stretching, there's no reason why someone couldn't jack up the C25K program to custom-fit their current abilities.

That said, as time spent on your feet running increases, rest (recovery) becomes more important.

Back to your ankle issue - let's hear more about it.

I'm 22 now, I've gotten small pains in my ankle since I was 16, normally it only lasts a day or two, and only happens once a month or so, so it was never really a massive issue. In the past few months, since I moved to Toronto, it's gotta a lot worse and more constant, it's a stabbing pain in my ankle and the arch of my foot, I know it's probably from walking around in bad shoes more recently, so I've bought better shoes for more support. It actually doesn't hurt me when I run, which is good, it hurts when I walk for an extended period, more than 2km or so. Today, after running 3.5km yesterday, and about 2km of regular walking, it's sore, but not to the point where I can't walk or get around.

I want to go to the physiotherapist, but because I only just moved to Toronto from Australia, my insurance doesn't kick in for another month at least. I iced it after my first day of running, and it was fine the next day, last night I didn't because I was busy, so maybe that was my mistake. I tried wearing an ankle brace and it made it so much worse because of the pressure.

I think I'm just going to try to increase the days I run, but if my ankle hurts too much, I'll rest that day, I don't NEED the exercise calories for food, I'm on 1500, so I'm fine.

For reference, I'm 170cm, 103kg/230lbs, but I carry it quite well, so running is easy for me.
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Sure sounds like you should have that looked at. Any chronic pain that requires regular icing after running can't be a good thing so take care until you can get to the bottom of it.
  • kyanmel873
    kyanmel873 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    How do I keep running day after day if I'm not feeling motivated or more like insecure because I don't want people in my neighborhood seeing me run?
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    kyanmel873 wrote: »
    How do I keep running day after day if I'm not feeling motivated or more like insecure because I don't want people in my neighborhood seeing me run?
    Are you running for yourself or for others? Should you care what others think if what you are doing is the right thing?

After a while I realized that I never even once ran by someone who said something negative. I also found that when I would pass by a larger person running all I ever thought was "good for them" and felt proud that they too were taking the effort to care for themselves like I started doing, if I noticed at all (sometimes I'm caughr up in my own thing). Then I realized that they most likely see others similarly.
  • GetFitLiveLife
    GetFitLiveLife Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome, just awesome! Thanks a lot.
  • tesemarie
    tesemarie Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Are you running for yourself or for others? Should you care what others think if what you are doing is the right thing?

After a while I realized that I never even once ran by someone who said something negative. I also found that when I would pass by a larger person running all I ever thought was "good for them" and felt proud that they too were taking the effort to care for themselves like I started doing, if I noticed at all (sometimes I'm caughr up in my own thing). Then I realized that they most likely see others similarly.

Amen to that! I didn't get out and even attempt to run and I would NEVER even consider properly fitted exercise clothes (like running pants!) because I feared what people driving by me would say or think. I realized, however, whenever I saw a larger person running or exercising, my first thought was 'good for them' and my second thought was 'I wish I was that motivated to get started and had that kind of self-confidence'. Out journey to healthy bodies is ours alone and not subject to others opinions :smile:

• mwyvr
    Options
    Fearing what other people think is just another excuse we tell ourselves to give us an out so we don't have to change anything for the better.

Don't fall into that trap.

Many of us have been there, done that. Some of us wasted years using this very excuse (guilty), only to later hold huge regret over lost time.

No one cares what you look like out there doing your thing. Anyone worth knowing is saying atta-girl or atta-boy, silently cheering you on. And there will be some heavy unfit people on the sidelines doing nothing, like me before, who look at you with admiration and then at themselves , wishing they were you.

Don't be the sidelines person. Give up fear and reach for what you want, today. Your future self will thank you for taking that step.

Mike
  • SimoneBee12
    Options

I totally understand what you mean. I live in Downtown Toronto, so there is NO WHERE I can run without people seeing me. I actually don't use the gym in my building because everyone there is all super fit and look like they know what they're doing.

But then the other day, I was like, you know what, get over it. Stop being lazy, and just do it. Because I know that when I see people running, all I can think is, "You look awesome, keep going, I wish I could do that!" No one is thinking negative thoughts about you, because they've all been there, everyone had to start at the bottom. So now I just do it. Good luck!
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Great attitude @SimonBee12!
  • ashbournesofia
    ashbournesofia Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Great Post x
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

1. Run in a different neighborhood.
    2. Walk when people are watching.
    3. Wear a shirt that says "I'm faster than you fat-*kitten*".
    4. Quit caring what other people think about you running.
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    While I agree with others that we should not care about what other thinks and we should be doing this for ourselves, I am still quite self-conscious. I try not to run right after school drop off when parents are still walking home. I wear my hat low with sunglasses. But I have to say, the more I run, the less I feel like people care much about strangers running on the street... as long as I don't literally run into them :)
  • emma_simmons87
    emma_simmons87 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Looking for advice on running please. My grandad passed away at the beginning of the month so my 2 cousins (who run often) are doing a 10k in august to raise money for the brilliant hospital. They asked if I would like to join them and I have jumped at the chance. All his 3 grandchildren together to make him proud. One thing though, I have never ever ran. Well maybe 10 years ago at school. I have read up on it and what to do as a beginner but I'm finding it really hard. To begin with I did 30 secs jog then 30 secs walk. I've been doing it 3 weeks every other day. Today I made progress and managed to jog for 1 min then a small break and so on, I even cracked 1 min 30 sec. I'm just a bit unsure if I'm going to be ready in time for august. My cousin said as long as I can walk 6 miles I should be fine. But don't really want to finish and everyone has gone home lol. Anyway, thanks for reading and any help appreciated.