So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• fafej
    fafej Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Wow. This is the best article on the topic I've seen so far. Great stuff.
  • _Ghaze_
    _Ghaze_ Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So I have this problem called jiggle. I jiggle all over. seriously. to the point of pain when I do jumping jacks, let alone trying to run (which I haven't) Short of saran-wrap, what's a gal like me to do??
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    _Ghaze_ wrote: »
    So I have this problem called jiggle. I jiggle all over. seriously. to the point of pain when I do jumping jacks, let alone trying to run (which I haven't) Short of saran-wrap, what's a gal like me to do??

A proper running bra and compression garments will solve that.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    brandiuntz wrote: »
    Did my first 5K in April in under 36 minutes. Doing another on May 16th. But I feel like my running is getting worst. I need some motivational help. :(

How do you define "worse"? Are you slower? Any injuries? One thing to remember is that as the weather gets warmer, the same effort will feel harder. Many people run slower during the summer months compared to fall, winter, and spring.

I'm having the same problem. I started from scratch on the treadmill beginning of January - first time, I was only able to run for a minute or two. Moved outside with a C25K app beginning of February. got behind a week or two and stalled on week 5 day 3 about 7 weeks in. April 10, I finally managed my whole 3.3 mile route without walking (having never made it to 2 before that) Did it several more times, improved my time, did 4 miles without walking on April 26, and I haven't been able to push through the 3.3 mile route again since then. I'm sure it's partilally due to temperatures, but they aren't that much warmer than a month ago - maybe 5 degrees.

Any suggestions?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Did my first 5K in April in under 36 minutes. Doing another on May 16th. But I feel like my running is getting worst. I need some motivational help. :(

How do you define "worse"? Are you slower? Any injuries? One thing to remember is that as the weather gets warmer, the same effort will feel harder. Many people run slower during the summer months compared to fall, winter, and spring.

I'm having the same problem. I started from scratch on the treadmill beginning of January - first time, I was only able to run for a minute or two. Moved outside with a C25K app beginning of February. got behind a week or two and stalled on week 5 day 3 about 7 weeks in. April 10, I finally managed my whole 3.3 mile route without walking (having never made it to 2 before that) Did it several more times, improved my time, did 4 miles without walking on April 26, and I haven't been able to push through the 3.3 mile route again since then. I'm sure it's partilally due to temperatures, but they aren't that much warmer than a month ago - maybe 5 degrees.

Any suggestions?

I think the biggest thing is to SLOW down. You may feel like you are super slow already but if you cannot comfortably carry on a conversation with another runner, your dog, the birds flying by or whatever then you are going too fast. When I started out I used to sing since I run by myself. If I couldn't easily sing the songs I slowed down until I could. As you add miles at the SLOW pace you will naturally pick up speed, just don't worry about it and give the speed part of it time.
  • Angel_Grove_
    Angel_Grove_ Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »

Any suggestions?

I think the biggest thing is to SLOW down. You may feel like you are super slow already but if you cannot comfortably carry on a conversation with another runner, your dog, the birds flying by or whatever then you are going too fast. When I started out I used to sing since I run by myself. If I couldn't easily sing the songs I slowed down until I could. As you add miles at the SLOW pace you will naturally pick up speed, just don't worry about it and give the speed part of it time.

I that, and I'm not overly concerned with speed. I just want to be able to RUN a 5k. I don't want to have to stop and walk, no matter how slow I run. That's not too say I didn't get excited when I started shaving off time after I made it 3.3 that first time, but I certainly wasn't pushing for it.

That said, I made it 3 miles before I had to walk tonight. Just couldn't pull that last hill (no matter which direction I go off my road, my run ends on a ridiculous hill. Sucks.) It was considerably more hot/humid tonight too. My only hypothesis is maybe that I had a bigger lunch. I always run before dinner so I don't have to wait for digestion and end up running in the dark, but I've been eating at goal the whole day then eating back some of my run calories as a bigger dinner/evening treat. I guess maybe I'm doing backwards. I guess a couple more runs ought to answer that for me, huh.
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    Options
    Slowing down is certainly key when you are starting out and building endurance.

Another thing you should do is warm up. Perhaps you can address two needs with one move here -- don't end your run on your ridiculous hill, end it at the bottom. Use the hill on your way to your run as part of your warm up. Likewise, walk it, as part of your cool down.

Warm up slowly. Take at least 5 minutes, maybe 10. Brisk walking at first. Many people don't really get into the groove of a run for 10, 15, 20 minutes - the warm up will get your systems running and ready for the main event.

Give it a try and let us know if this helps.
  • governatorkp
    governatorkp Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Nice tips for beginners!

How about keeping your hands relaxed though?
    Not stretching the fingers or balling them, but to touch two fingers as if holding a chip, to conserve energy.

Also, to not twist the torse while running, but to keep the core tight instead. Many beginners twist their core and keep the arms tight to their bodies, which isnt a good form and can cause back pain.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options

Any suggestions?

Because this subject has come up in many other threads lately, I think it's worth mentioning here. DO NOT underestimate the effects that heat and humidity can have on your performance. Yes, 5 degrees can make a huge difference, especially if it is more humid as well. Your body is working extra to try and cool itself, so this is going to raise your heart rate. One should not expect to be running at the same pace in 80F weather as in 50F weather, at least not until you get adjusted. That is why it is important to run based on effort and not speed and just accept that you will be slower for a while. The good news is, when fall rolls around and the temperatures begin to cool again, you will feel like you are lightening fast!
  • marcelo_templario
    marcelo_templario Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    Running is cool, so good for losing weight, I believe is the one sport where every stride makes you feel how you burn fat and get thinner.
  • mcanavan05
    mcanavan05 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Mc75_110 on Nike. Pls add need friends
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    On 4/18, I did my first 5K at 30:00. It didn't make sense because training runs were always in the 34-36 min. range. But I enjoyed it and thought I would do another and see if I could improve that time.

Still during training runs, I just couldn't match 30 min. I'm doing better (31-35 min.) during training. My 2nd 5K was yesterday (5/16), was more hilly (199 ft. elevation gain) than the first, and yet I somehow got a time of 28:53.

It just doesn't make sense... could race adrenaline really do that much? What could I be doing differently during races that I'm not doing otherwise? If it is just adrenaline, is there a way to apply that to every day runs? Does it even matter?
  • mwyvr
    Options
    Training slower and longer than you intend to race is good for building your endurance while at the same time reducing the potential for injury. Save race pace for race days!
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    mcanavan05 wrote: »
    Mc75_110 on Nike. Pls add need friends

Sent request.

• brandiuntz
    Options
    On 4/18, I did my first 5K at 30:00. It didn't make sense because training runs were always in the 34-36 min. range. But I enjoyed it and thought I would do another and see if I could improve that time.

Still during training runs, I just couldn't match 30 min. I'm doing better (31-35 min.) during training. My 2nd 5K was yesterday (5/16), was more hilly (199 ft. elevation gain) than the first, and yet I somehow got a time of 28:53.

It just doesn't make sense... could race adrenaline really do that much? What could I be doing differently during races that I'm not doing otherwise? If it is just adrenaline, is there a way to apply that to every day runs? Does it even matter?

Actually, that's how it works. You don't train at race pace. You train at a slower pace to build endurance (and avoid injury). Races are where you push your body as hard as you can, and you'll (usually) end up with a faster pace than what you trained at. The principle for a common training technique is 80% easy, slow runs and 20% speed work.

The more you run (build that base), the faster you'll get. That's why "more miles" is the main answer to "how do I get faster". Just keep running. :smile:
  • mwyvr
    Options
    ^^^ Yup. Where's that "Like" button when you need it!
  • KathleenCora
    KathleenCora Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Hi, no question today just wanted to share a small success for me :) I ran my first 10k yesterday at the Cleveland marathon. I ran it in 68minutes which was under my goal of 70minutes! yay!! So to all the experienced runners out there that answer our inexperienced runners questions, Thank you! You help make our goals possible. :D
  • KOW75
    KOW75 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts on plantar fasciitis? I have been running for a year and have a new, fairly mild case. Am I doing more damage by running through it?
  • brandiuntz
    Options
    KOW75 wrote: »
    Any thoughts on plantar fasciitis? I have been running for a year and have a new, fairly mild case. Am I doing more damage by running through it?

Try some of the techniques here:
    http://running.competitor.com/2014/06/photos/new-techniques-treating-plantar-fasciitis_96398

I had a very mild case last year. Besides the stretching/icing, I backed off the pace and amount of miles for a month or so.