So you want to start running

Options

Replies

• Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great topic!

I've been an on-and-off runner for a couple of years. The 27th of april (little over a week) I have a race coming up that I trained for since january. My goal is to run it under 4:45min/km, but my personal best so far is 4:50 and it seems I hit some kind of plateau the last few weeks.

I feel like I am sooooooo close, it should be doable!! I have only 2 trainingruns planned before the race, does anyone have tips how to best increase my speed in one week and hit goal? Short, fast runs? Intervals? Long endurance run with maybe some hills and beach to build strenght?

So, tips for a speedbump in one week?? :)
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Knekni wrote: »
    Great topic!

I've been an on-and-off runner for a couple of years. The 27th of april (little over a week) I have a race coming up that I trained for since january. My goal is to run it under 4:45min/km, but my personal best so far is 4:50 and it seems I hit some kind of plateau the last few weeks.

I feel like I am sooooooo close, it should be doable!! I have only 2 trainingruns planned before the race, does anyone have tips how to best increase my speed in one week and hit goal? Short, fast runs? Intervals? Long endurance run with maybe some hills and beach to build strenght?

So, tips for a speedbump in one week?? :)

In a week? You can't do anything except hurt yourself. The hay is already in the barn, as they say. You should only be doing a few easy runs to keep your legs loose.

Though- how long is the race? If its 5/10km distance, well, you might get there by adrenaline if you have put in consistent work at or near your goal pace. But if 4:50 is just the best ever for a km, and you want to run 15 under that? Chances are its just not going to happen.

• T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    @Knekni I'm not even close to an expert on running - probably at the same level where you are at. However, I want to bring this up just in case you hadn't thought about it... be very aware of your diet the night before and the morning of the run. There are plenty of articles you can find about race day nutrition.
  • Mariekegetsfit
    Mariekegetsfit Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies! It is a 6k (weird distance, I know) so I hope the adrenaline pump will be enough, and I will definitely take care of my diet and nutrition beforehand :) And then, just hope for the best. I'll let you know if I made it!
  • lisiloulah
    lisiloulah Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jachmannjachmanngmailcom2015
    Options
    I love this thread and hope it will never be removed!
    But I need advice though. I started the C25K in January and I am still on Wk 7 D3. I run on a treadmill but just am not able to run the required 2.4miles in 25 minutes. It"s very frustrating and I'm very demotivated. I'm also stuck at my weight of 62kg @1.67m length and been there for the last two months. What is going wrong?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I believe the program said "2.5 miles *or* 25 minutes". To finish 2.5 miles within 25 minutes means you need to run 10 minute mile (or 6 miles in an hour). I believe most of us who started running later in life cannot do that in the beginning.

If you mean you cannot run 25 minutes or 2.5 miles without stopping, you could try to run slower. Just for your reference, the first time I finished a 5k distance, it took me about 33 minutes and my husband about 38 minutes. We are both in our 40's. I have friends started the program and finished their first 5k faster and some finished slower.

So, for me in week 7, I just ran the 25 minutes. At the end of week 8, I ran 30 minutes, so, not quite 5k. Then, I ran 5k after. But my husband just ran with the distance but put in longer time. Now, both my husband and I can finish a 5k race between 26-28 minutes but we still run more than 30 minutes on our regular 5k routines.
    Options
    I did not understand that it it was 25min or 2.5 miles, which for me is quite a relief. I am currently repeating W7 for the 5th time and am still forced to stop every 5 minutes for a few seconds to catch my breath which is really frustrating since I'm on this program since January. I running on a treadmill and barely get to 2.2 miles in the 25 minutes. I'm 49 yrs old and not overweight, but would like to lose 10 more pounds, hence the running. I am even mote frustrated when I see how successful you and your husband are! Did you have to repeat any weeks ?
  • ghostwriter22
    ghostwriter22 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Question, a couple years ago bronchitis really took a toll on my lungs so it can get hard to breath sometimes but I really want to start running again cause I'm going to start training for a 5k that the training more so starts in July but I know I need to strengthen my lungs before I can start my training and I tough maybe running up half the side walk like maybe twice a day really slow and gradually getting to farther distances would work but do u have any breathing exercise suggestions that I could try?
  • mom3over40
    mom3over40 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Did you have to repeat any weeks ?
    There were 2 separate weeks that I could not manage to run and I repeated the week before the break when I ran again. My husband did not repeat any weeks. One thing we believe made a difference for us was that we started hiking with friends almost weekly for a year before we started running. We both think that running would have been harder if we had not been hiking already.

BTW, what speed do you set on your treadmill? You said you could finished 2.2 miles in 25 minutes, that would be about 5.3 on a treadmill. If you walked in between to finish at that rate, did you set around 6 to run? Perhaps, you can try setting it to 5.2 and see if you can run without walking. Even though I did not need to walk in W7, I would slow down the speed to a point that I could still run. If you had to stop to give a short answer to someone asking you a question, then, you are definitely running too fast. It is recommended that we should mostly run at conversational pace. If you can run at a conversational pace, that would be best. But I know, to me, it would have meant "not moving at all" because I could go out of breath just to walk ( I hated it when my friend tried to talk to me during hiking :sweat_smile: )

Also, with your rate of finishing 2.2 miles in 25 minutes, you could have covered 5k distance in about 35 minutes. You are not doing any worse than my husband and I.
  • kellyfeb78
    kellyfeb78 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've tried running at the gym and not only was I out of breath within a minute but my big boobs bounced so they hurt lol think I will stick to fast walking on a high gradient
    Options
    Just wear a good running bra such as Shock Absorber. Start out by walking for a few weeks. Increase your walking speed and gradient on the treadmill gradually. A great start to a running program is C25K. Download the app but take it easy. Don't worry if you struggle. You'll get there! You have to make up your mind that this is what you really want to do.Good luck!
  • slg1009
    slg1009 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Awesome post - well written and informative....wish I was reading stuff like this before I started running!
  • namedforthemoon
    namedforthemoon Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Where it talks about cross training and body weight exercises if training for a marathon, is there anymore information on the body weight exercises? I'm not training for a marathon, but I am a total newbie to running... I'd like to keep things even. I like the idea of doing body weight exercises because there's no need to join a gym, I can do them at home, depending on what they are.
    Options
    I did the C25k programme and now run/walk 3 to 4 days a week and do weight training 3 days a week. I use DVD's for weight training but Crossfit exercises are excellent as well. You will have to focus on core exercises to help you run better.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Bumping to keep this great thread alive.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread but I have running questions and this was a great read. I have just started running again after many, many years. I am doing the Fat to First Mile program so I am truly starting out slow. I did good running out on the roads/trails for my first three run/walks.

I am working power restoration and will be in 17/7 work rotations for the next few days. Today was the first day I had to run on a treadmill. On the roads, I feel like I get an easy rhythm and the time goes quickly. On the treadmill, I felt like I was plodding along, heavy footed and never got a good rhythm. I tried going super slooooooow, slower than my walking pace, but that just made my knee and hip hurt. I am keeping my shoulders back and relaxed, not hunching. I'm trying to keep my footfalls under my body. My reality is that I am stuck with treadmill runs when I am working storm restoration so I have to figure this out. Any suggestions to make it feel more natural?
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,388 Member
    Options
    @debrakgoogins - did you get this question answered in the Challenge thread? If not I would try running a bit faster so it feels like an easy pace close to your outdoor easy pace and not too slow. After a few minutes you may feel that you can go a little faster. The treadmill does feel very different than running outdoors - you just don't have the feedback that the ground gives you but if you stick with it it will feel less cumbersome as you get used to how it feels. Also listening to a book, watching an interesting TV program, etc. can take your mind off the treadmill itself and may make it feel easier.
    You might also check out some of the runners world and other articles about treadmill running:
    https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20846772/how-effective-is-treadmill-running-compared-to-running-outside/
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    Options
    @shanaber. Thank you. I didn’t get feedback here but got similar input from a running mentor. I have sped up on the treadmill plus added incline and it’s becoming better. I still prefer road running but it’s definitely getting better.
  • pridesabtch
    pridesabtch Posts: 2,313 Member
    Options
    Great read. I’m coming back to running after 4 years of being a (career induced) slug. I’m really a biker, and ran as cross training. I mostly did 5ks, but ran the occasional 1/2. I can still run a 5k, but holy hell is it slow. I’ll stick to 5 & 10ks for a while. I know speed comes with miles, but what are some drills I can do to improve my cardio/speed. And how many miles/wk should I start with?