Any smokers out there?

Options
I would like to quit and am very worried about weight gain. I have quit before (unsuccessfully of course) but would like to quit quitting and just stop. I have set my quit date for May 4th.
Any tips from former and current quitters?

Replies

• charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I would like to quit and am very worried about weight gain. I have quit before (unsuccessfully of course) but would like to quit quitting and just stop. I have set my quit date for May 4th.
    Any tips from former and current quitters?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    former,

quitting does slow down the metabolism, but if you stay active and are careful with your calories, you shouldn't gain very much, maybe a little but it shouldn't be dramatic. Plus, the good you are doing your body by quitting will far outweigh the bad of gaining any weight at all.
    Good luck!
  • kerikitkat
    kerikitkat Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Hey there.

I'm five weeks in as of tomorrow, which is by far the longest I've ever quit for. By the 4th week it became soooooo much easier. Just stick it out and you won't believe how awesome you feel! I still get a craving every so often, mostly when I'm watching a movie with tons of smokers in it or pass someone on the street lighting up, but... it's totally controllable now.

I might have gained about a pound when I quit, but then I got on here and lost 2 immediately. :happy: So no big deal! Just tell yourself that you absolutely will not replace cigarettes with food, log everything you eat, and I'm sure you can do this.

Exercise helps, too!
  • Life_is_Good
    Life_is_Good Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Chantix... after smoking for 20 years.
    I quit 3 months ago, only needed it for a month & 1/2 - you may have to bump out your quit date because you need to start taking it before you actually quit. Our health insurance covered it - so it only cost me our co-pay :smile:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    Hey there, I'm going on my 7th week, and have actually dropped 10 lbs, but I understand your worry, because that's why I delayed quitting for so long. What I found worked best for me, is I try very hard not to replace smoking with food, and whenever I crave a smoke (which is very few and far between now) I went for a walk, before you know it that craving would pass. I am finding new benefits everyday why I love my decision not to light up again!! Good luck, I know you can do it!! If you need help, I'm here!
  • abbychelle07
    abbychelle07 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Plus, the good you are doing your body by quitting will far outweigh the bad of gaining any weight at all.

Completely agree!
  • kmjgrant
    kmjgrant Posts: 80
    Options
    I am a smoker and want to quit, but I don't have enough drive right now.
    I have to much on my plate to try and add the stress of quiting.
    I have quit before, but one piece of advice I can give you, dont set a date, just quit. I learned that it is easier to quit cold turkey. Everything is in your head, if you WANT to QUIT then you will, if you think that you are going to have the cravings you will and you WILL fall back, you have to want o quit, and I repeat, it is all in your head.:smokin:
  • dmazza15@comcast.net
    Options
    Chantix!
    It is the way to go. It is so helpful that i really did not gain any weight. I have not smoked in 27 days so far. It is worth it.
  • dwalden
    dwalden Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    3 years ago I lost 30 pounds knowing would gain weight when I quit. I have been 18 months smoke free, but I put back on the 30 pounds. Having a heck of a time trying to get it back off. It is not as easy this time. I have started going to the gym every day, and today I am starting (High Intensity Interval Training) HIIT to burn the fat off. I will get bakc under 200 lbs again. And this time be smoke free.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options

I have quit before, but one piece of advice I can give you, dont set a date, just quit. I learned that it is easier to quit cold turkey. Everything is in your head, if you WANT to QUIT then you will, if you think that you are going to have the cravings you will and you WILL fall back, you have to want o quit, and I repeat, it is all in your head.:smokin:
    I agree: don't set a date.
    I quit in Februaryafter a 20 year long affair with Nici(nicotine). I knew I was going to quit but did not set a date. I started working out before I quit. I woke up on a Monday and said I'm not smoking anymore and I haven't since. I have not gained weight, but I attribute that toruning 6-7 days a week. I have not missed it at all. I stayed away from places/people that smoke deliberately for a month so i wouldn't be tempted. I smoked mainly at night and that's when I "think" I'm the most hungry, so find yourself something to do at the times you would smoke the most. When I quit I decided to go in the opposite direction, to be the healthiest I could be, the poster child for healthif you will. I feel the best I've felt in 20 years. I know I will NEVER smoke again. Good luck, don't worry about the weight gain, you can always get rid of it thru diet and exercise, just think about what you will be doing for yourself and your body if you quit.:happy:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Forgot to put this with my post. i made copies of this and put them all over in my house, ESPECIALLY on the door that I used to go smoke outside. Good luck!!! You can do it!!!!:flowerforyou:

WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU QUIT SMOKING?
    20 MINUTES
    • Blood pressure drops to normal
    • Pulse rate drops to normal
    • Body temperature of hands and feet increases to normal
    8 HOURS
    • Carbon monoxide level in blood drops to normal
    • Oxygen level in blood increases to normal
    Within 20 minutes of smoking your last cigarette, your body begins a series of changes that continues for years. Many benefits are lost by smoking just one cigarette a day, according to the American Cancer Society.
    24 HOURS
    • Chance of heart attack decreases
    48 HOURS
    • Nerve endings start regrowing
    • Ability to smell and taste is enhanced
    2 WEEKS TO 3 MONTHS
    • Circulation improves
    • Walking becomes easier
    • Lung function increases up to 30 percent
    1 TO 9 MONTHS
    • Coughing, sinus congestion, fatigue, and shortness of breath decrease
    • Cilia regrow in lungs, increasing their ability to handle mucus, clean the lungs, and reduce infection
    • Body’s overall energy increases
    1 YEAR
    Excess risk of coronary heart disease is half that of a smoker
    5 YEARS
    • Lung-cancer death rate for average former smoker (one pack a day) decrease by almost half
    • Stroke risk is reduced to that of a non-smoker 5 to 15 years after quitting
    • Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, and esophagus is half that of a smoker’s
    10 YEARS
    • Lung-cancer death rate is similar to that of a non-smoker
    • Precancerous cells are replaced
    • Risk of cancer of the mouth, throat, esophagus, bladder, kidney, cervix, and pancreas decreases
    15 YEARS
    Risk of coronary heart disease is that of a non-smoker
  • kelpie06
    kelpie06 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Former smoker too.

I quit cold turkey and like someone mentioned before, instead of replacing smoking with food, replace it with working out. (it gets sooo much easier when you aren't smoking)

Good luck. You'll do it if you want it!!
  • sharon3541
    Options
    I am a current smoker that would like to quit . If you would like we can do it together and lean on each other. I have smoked for 30 years and it is time. So what do you say?

Sharon
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I've been smoke free for almost a year and a half now. I had several unsuccessful attempts to quit before I was finally able to stop. What made it even more challenging for me was the fact that my wife is a smoker and she wasn't interested in quitting.

For me, the key was that I truly wanted to quit. My health was really starting to suffer and there were times when I honestly wondered if I would even be alive in one year (and I was only 35). I knew that if I didn't quit, it would either kill me within a few years....or I would live in fear of something happening to me. That's no way to live at all. So instead of feeling sorry for myself, I quit smoking. It was the most difficult thing I had ever done in my life.

Another key for me was to try to take things one hour at a time. In other words, try to quit smoking one hour at a time... this will seem a lot more doable than the thought of never ever having another cigarette for the rest of your life (though that would ultimately be your goal). Nicotine withdrawal is tough (obviously), and the way I was able to resist the frequent terrible urges to light up was to tell myself to just hold off for another hour. The urges would almost always subside by then.
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I am a current smoker that would like to quit . If you would like we can do it together and lean on each other. I have smoked for 30 years and it is time. So what do you say?

Sharon

Hey Sharon, your on! What a fantastic idea.

Thank you everyone so much for your replies. I'm going to do it this time. I am so tired of smelling all the time and popping mints, spending $13.00 a pack of smokes and feeling crappie everytime I do smoke!
    All the great info that was posted about what happens after 20 minutes, one hour etc was very insightful! I had no idea my hands and feet were always cold because I smoked! Who knew? I don't cough, I'm active etc but the one thing that gets me is when I run how I wheez. Its not that I'm tired and out of breath or anything, its just the sound I make. And I can't talk when I exercise - how stupid is that! Its time....I'm ready.
  • sharon3541
    Options
    charny165

ok let's do it. I can tell you this I have caprel tunnel bad and smoking does not help. So do you want to start tomorrow? Let me know. We can do it together (Faith will get us thorugh) let me know. I am killing myself on the eliptical smoking needs to go I am to important to let tobacco companies kill me. So lets do it
  • Meriller
    Meriller Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Obviously a hot topic here!
    I think any of us previous smokers sympathize, weight gain is always a concern!

I am an ex-smoker now, 5 years this November. My husband and I quit at the same time, which for many is a nightmare and asking for trouble, but we both used Zyban and it was amazing!

Since the Zyban removed the physical cravings, the lack of hand to mouth motion was almost the worst part, honestly... I took up sunflower seeds; the shelling action kept my hands busy, but yes, they're fattening. I second whoever said it earlier in the posts, however; a few extra pounds, as regrettable as they may seem are far healthier than continuing smoking so be encouraged in that regard!

I wish you success! It's an independent journey, so be empowered within yourself to do it! :-)
  • sharon3541
    Options
    okay just died out my last cigarette. I am done

Good night for now, 3:30 comes awful early. Must be at the gym by 4 am.

Sharon
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quit too! You guys get a head start though..I have 3 packs left. I quit for most of the time I was pregnant with my daughter, but a few weeks after I had her, like an idiot, I went out and got drunk and decided I needed to smoke again :( I know from experience that quitting cold turkey is definately the way to go and make sure u stay away from things that trigger smoking for you. For me drinking ruined it. Another thing that is hard is having friends who smoke and don't respect u enough to wait until ur not around to light up. I had a friend who would still smoke in the car everytime I went someone with her. I thought that was kind of bogus, but it was her car so whatever. Anyways, best of luck to everyone. My husband is going to Atlantic city for a week, leaving this thursday. Since I have no wheels, this will be a great time for me to quit. If I want a pack bad enough to walk to the store then maybe by the time I get there I won't want it anymore. Well, this is great! I am excited to have some support this time around. Good luck to you guys! I know it can be done :)
  • BreaNix
    BreaNix Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I am a former smoker. I smoked for 20 years. I quit each time I was pregnant but then would start again after the baby was born.

I quit for the last time 1 1/2 years ago. This time I did it for me and decided it was time. I used the patch. it helped with the cravings. But for my hands I would cut a straw to about the size of a cig. and put some cotton in it. I could then have something in my hand or mouth that was kinda like it but not bad. This trick really helped especially during those habit smoking times, like driving in the car, with coffee, or with a drink. It gave me something to do that wasn't food related.

Congratulation to all of you for your decision to quit and good luck!
    I know you will succeed because if I could quit any one can.