Any smokers out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• dawn66
    dawn66 Posts: 166
    Options
    I will be smoke free for 8 months on Sunday, and I feel soooo much better. I had smoked for 24 years. I put on thirteen pounds when I quit. I was prepared for that to happen, thats why I quit in the fall. I thought I could go through a chubby winter and then just drop the extra pounds in the spring. Well apparently my body has other plans and for some reason has decided to hold on to this weight, despite everything I am doing. So that part of it is very frustrating, but at least when I work out hard I can breath....and thats a pretty nice feeling...I know that I have made the right choices. So good luck to you.
    Dawn
  • sharon3541
    Options
    okay day 1, god help my husband. I am going for it.

Sharon
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    Good for u sharon! I know u'll do great :) For me the first 3-4 days were the worst....so if u can get through that (which i'm sure u can) it tends to get a little easier. You should feel so proud of yourself for doing this!
  • sharon3541
    Options
    lauren thank you I will keep this board updated on how I am doing. Have a great day
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Hey sharon, I'm dying to know how you're doing! Keep us posted. Anyone else out there quitting too?
  • sharon3541
    sharon3541 Posts: 29
    Options
    I am hanging in there. This is the hardest thing I have had to do, but I am ok. Thanks for asking

Sharon
    Have a great day
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    I know how hard it is. For the first few days when I quit b4 I would cry alot. I didn't get really irritated, just VERY emotional, which is of course a time when I smoke. I'm looking forward to quitting again myself, probably 2 or 3 days from now. I've been cutting back and I have 2 packs left. I hate to just throw them away even though I know I should. Anyways, you keep up the good work!
  • mzaccardi
    mzaccardi Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Sharon,

Good for you! I quit cold turkey over 20 years ago when I found out I was pregnant. I wanted a healthy baby so this is how I did it: I taped my baby's ultrasound picture and a picture of a healthy lung and one of a smoker on my refrigerator. Every time I wanted a cigarette I looked at those pictures. I know it's not exactly refrigerator art work, but it did the trick.

Hang in there, it's rough the first few days, but you can do it.
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    I am hanging in there. This is the hardest thing I have had to do, but I am ok. Thanks for asking

Sharon
    Have a great day

You can do it, if you can go 1 hour you can go another 24:flowerforyou:
    I'm rooting for you!:bigsmile:
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    Other benifits your clothes and hair smells good. I used to have migraines every month, in the 2 years I quit smoking I have only had 2 migraines. I used to have a headache nearly every day now only occasionaly. I quit using the nicotine patch and welbutrin. I did gain weight but I would not have found a healthier lifestyle (eating better, working out) if I had not quit. I wish you luck.
  • sarakenna1
    sarakenna1 Posts: 261
    Options
    I am at month 2 of no smoking. Its probably the 20th time I've quit, but this is the first time I havn't cheated even once since quitting. I did the cold turkey thing this time. I've used patches in the past, but they seem to just drag out the process so I didn't use them this time. Here is what I did in order of importance: 1) Made sure my husband quit with me (no way to resist a pack of smokes that are lying around the house!) 2) Made a "social contract" with my boss. He wanted to lose weight, I wanted to quit smoking. We made a deal, if he doesn't lose 2 lbs every three weeks, he owes me $20. I owe him $20 for every cigarette I smoke. (I havn't had to pay him yet! This really works!) It helps to make this contract with someone you either admire, or who annoys you. (or both, in my case). 3) Avoid situations where people smoke (bars, hanging with friends who are smokers, etc) for at least the first 2 weeks. Tackle these tempting places one at a time. Trust me, every time you make it through a difficult situation without a smoke, it gets easier for the next time. 4) Distract yourself! For instance, go directly to the gym after work to burn up the time between work and dinner. Pick up a new hobby (I learned to quilt!) Keep your brain entertained and your hands busy!

Good luck. You can do it. :wink:
  • charny164
    charny164 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Well its been about 16 hours for me now and I am not ready to rip anyone's face off yet. I have a good support system although I am not going to tell my family. I want to see if they really notice a difference in my character the first few days after quitting (a nice way to say that they figure I'll be *****y).
    I'm not having cravings but the really weird thing is the time. 9:45. I knew when it was 9:45 because I always look at the clock then and say ok, 15 minutes until my smoke break. I really hope it won't be an issue of cravings but more of an issue of habit. I can break a habit - thats the nice thing about being a control freak! :laugh: I have decided not to rely on anything - gum, food, toothpicks etc. I am stopping because I don't want a habit that I can associate to smoking.
    Anyway, thats my check in...wish me luck (please)!
    Char :drinker:
  • mkeithley
    mkeithley Posts: 399
    Options
    Well its been about 16 hours for me now and I am not ready to rip anyone's face off yet. I have a good support system although I am not going to tell my family. I want to see if they really notice a difference in my character the first few days after quitting (a nice way to say that they figure I'll be *****y).
    I'm not having cravings but the really weird thing is the time. 9:45. I knew when it was 9:45 because I always look at the clock then and say ok, 15 minutes until my smoke break. I really hope it won't be an issue of cravings but more of an issue of habit. I can break a habit - thats the nice thing about being a control freak! :laugh: I have decided not to rely on anything - gum, food, toothpicks etc. I am stopping because I don't want a habit that I can associate to smoking.
    Anyway, thats my check in...wish me luck (please)!
    Char :drinker:
    Awesome!!! I didn't tell my family either until 2 months had passed. I constantly told myself"I am a non smoker, I am a non smoker, I do not smoke, I am a non smoker, I am strong, I have will power, I am a non smoker".
    You've made it this far, you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • laurenk182004
    Options
    Awesome job! I'm so proud of you..lol I'm sure it doesn't mean a whole lot coming from me, but really, it is such a huge accomplishment! You'll feel like a million bucks in a few days :)