Can someone please explain cholesterol to me?

Options
1235»

Replies

• jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those blessed with genetically high cholesterol (260). I've been high cholesterol since my first test in my 20's, even though I've never been overweight (BMI of 21.1), eat a high fiber diet with minimal processed foods, and I'm an avid runner.

I added fish oil supplements to my diet a year ago (omega 3's) and this year when I was tested my HDL had gone way up. So instead of high cholesterol with low HDL, like I had before the fish oil, I now have high cholesterol with optimal levels of HDL. My risk ratio is actually better than average, because my HDL balances out the LDL. So I'm cool with that and so is my doctor.
  • Amarallm
    Amarallm Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    You've recieved many great posts on this topic. Years ago, I insisted on testing my cholesterol. At the time it was 297. (My Doctor likes to see it below 200.) I tried a very strict diet for 6 months only to find that my total cholesterol only dropped minimally. My body just produces too much. I now eat a sensable diet. (I deprive myself of nothing.) I take a low dose statin, and have also added a fish oil supplement to my diet. My total cholesteral is now 177. My HDL, LDL and triglicerides are all at the proper levels. Hoping to try to reduce my statins even more.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    You've recieved many great posts on this topic. Years ago, I insisted on testing my cholesterol. At the time it was 297. (My Doctor likes to see it below 200.) I tried a very strict diet for 6 months only to find that my total cholesterol only dropped minimally. My body just produces too much. I now eat a sensable diet. (I deprive myself of nothing.) I take a low dose statin, and have also added a fish oil supplement to my diet. My total cholesteral is now 177. My HDL, LDL and triglicerides are all at the proper levels. Hoping to try to reduce my statins even more.
    France's cholesterol levels are 220-230 and they have the lowest incident of heart disease in Europe......just thought I'd throw that your way.:smile: