High Protein, No Sugar Challenge (5 pounds down)

Options
124»

Replies

• maegmez
    maegmez Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I completely get removing the sugar to remove the sweet tooth. I have a big sweet tooth and I know if I removed refined sugars from my life, I would be a lot healthier and would weigh less. I also agree you don't lose weight by cutting out sugar but sugar is high in calories so giving them up would reduce your calorie intake, thus, you lose weight. I don't eat it excessively but could do without it.

At least with cutting out sugar, you get more calories to spend on healthier, more filling foods like protein...as mentioned above.

Great job on tackling a huge obstacle to you.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Does that include natural sugar, like maple syrup and organic honey?

Yes, even natural sugars, I am only eating fruits. I am also trying to minimize white flour and starches.

So fruit doesn't make you binge, but added sugar does? Is it just a mental thing, I'm guessing?

Have you ever heard of anyone binging on apples??! No... Because apples make you feel full because they are full of fiber.

Oreos on the other hand, you can eat a package and not feel full, you would just feel sick.

Not mental at all.

I disagree. Any binge is mental. Whether you are bingeing on cookies, ribs, lasagna, or whatever. It's a mental thing. For many people the psychological side of restiricting calories is the hardest part. It's denying the want rather than the need that takes effort.

Some people can eat two cookies and walk away. Some can't. Once hunger is satisfied, it's all mental.

I guess my point wasn't conveyed properly... an apple will make me feel satiated and is around 100 calories, one oreo cookie does not fill me up because there is nothing to it yet is 70 calories. So I can't overeat apples because I'm full after one apple, yet I would probably have to eat 6 oreos to equal the same satiation, so about 540 calories. For someone my height and weight that's 1/3 of my calories for a day. I'd rather fill up on the bulky and low cal stuff so I am not starving all day.

Though I've never felt full after eating one apple, my point is that a binge rarely has anything to do with hunger. People often binge on cookies after eating a full meal. For people who tend to binge on sugary snacks, craving is usually the problem more than hunger. You aren't hungry, you know you don't need more food, but you still want more cookies. It's not uncommon.