Deadlifters

Options
Do you drop the bar when you deadlift? I drop the bar at the top on my working sets. My lifting buddy hates it, he doesn't deadlift because "it's bad for your back, power cleans are better." I drop the bar at the top on both exercises and it drives him crazy. What's your position on this?

I should add that my buddy threw his back out power cleaning last week on the descending portion of the movement. :grumble:

Rigger

Replies

• kalyrichmond
    kalyrichmond Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I drop the bar. ;) (LOL Had to comment now that you got me over my fear of dropping it)
  • MaeRay007
    MaeRay007 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't drop the bar. I hate it too. Some guys do it, some girls do it. If there is a benefit of doing one over the other, I don't know.
    Each exercise has it's own benefits.
    Each movement can be bad for you if you don't have good form.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    I don't drop the bar for a couple of reasons:

1. No bumper plates in my fitness room (it's at work...we are slowly adding more equipment)
    2. The room is next to some offices and dropping weights is very noisy for them.

I may drop it the last few inches, but definitely not from the top of the set.
  • mikemc620
    mikemc620 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I don't drop the bar when deadlifting. I can see how it would be a good thing when working near max weights as its another place to get tired and potentially injured. I have steel plates with a small pad over a concrete floor in my basement so I can't really drop the plates.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I don't drop the bar.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,565 Member
    Options
    Better strength with lowering the bar while maintaining control.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I don't drop the bar with dead-lifts. I only drop the bar with cleans if I'm working heavy enough to where I think I'm going to shred my shoulders otherwise...but I don't usually work that heavy and when I do I grab one of the trainers to let them know what's going on as it is typically not allowed in my gym but they will make occasional exceptions.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    Nope I do not drop the bar
  • soehlerking
    soehlerking Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I don't drop b/c it seems impolite.

...damn, now I feel like a girl.
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

^ This.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options

This...
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Nope I don't, but I've seen maybe 2-3 guys do it. One of gym friends does it every time but he's also really huge and grunts a lot.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I have dropped it a handful of times on occasion (usually grip failing) but dropping the bar purposefully every time is pretty much a *kitten* move. There's really no reason for it. I'm talking about deadlifts specifically. Cleans can be a different story.
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I don't drop them from the top. But I do lower it ask quickly as possible. It lands with a thump not a crash.

This seems like the best compromise with regard to safety, noise, and potential equipment damage.

Anecdotally a lot of DL injuries seem to happen when people try to lower the weight slowly. I do feel I have trouble keeping my low back from rounding on the decent if it's close to my max.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    no dropping-unless I'm one rep/maxing whatever- and i drop it from mid height- I lower it back down as if I were completing a rep-
    Mentally I count a dead lift is up- and then back down.

while I understand technically and competitively this is not the reality- it's not practical for day to day lifting unless you lift in a gym like that- so in my head I just say a rep is up and down- like a squat- up and down.

most gyms aren't set up for dropped weights- usually it's a modified concrete floor with rubber mats- it's loud and more than likely going to damage the floor- plus bumper plates- don't have those either.

If I'm doing cleans I set it up with extra yoga mats to help cushion. .
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    If I had my own gym or was in a powerlifting facility, I'd let it drop from the top. As it is at the moment, I just vaguely guide it's path down to the floor, not providing much resistance at all.

The only times I have completely let it go have been to yell and vigorously pound my chest after a new PR.

Because I'm a bro like that.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Why would you drop on a dead lift? That's just silly. As for Power Cleans, it's actually pretty smart to drop from the top. That transition back down to the top of a dead lift is dodgie under the best of circumstances. But on a dead lift? No.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    No, until I set an Olympic record, I prefer not to be a dramatic asshat.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    also dropping = rolling

rolling = bashed shins.

no thanks.
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    No, until I set an Olympic record, I prefer not to be a dramatic asshat.

That