Deadlifters

Options

Replies

• CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I don't, but I only DL 110 lbs and I'm already close enough to the ground where i'm short....
  • Operation_Shred
    Options
    No, until I set an Olympic record, I prefer not to be a dramatic asshat.

^^ nailed it.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    No. The negative portion of the lift is good for the posterior chain and you should consider doing it. You should see your deadlifts improve. At my powerlifting meet every single person followed the bar down. Nobody dropped it. Some were a bit harder set downs than others, but nobody dropped it. If those guys can do it with 700+ pounds you can too.
  • Snow3y
    Snow3y Posts: 1,412 Member
    Options
    Dealifts bad for your back but he does power cleans? ahahaha :) Tell him to look into the knee injuries involved with that vs amount of people doing deadlifts :)

I "drop" the weight yeah, they've put special flooring for a reason. I'm not gna sloooowly lift and slooooowly release the weight, I'm working on strength which I need to do with less time-under-tension
  • a_stronger_me13
    a_stronger_me13 Posts: 812 Member
    Options

This. And unless you have bumper plates, the equipment isn't intended to be dropped outside of an emergency situation.

There is also a difference between dropping it from waist level and a controlled drop. Once again, you really shouldn't do either without bumper plates and proper flooring. Respect the equipment, you pay dues but you don't own the place.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    i dont drop.
    at heavier weights i will lower it rather quickly, but like dan said, i prefer to maintain control on the entire movement.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    If I dropped the bar I would no longer be allowed to deadlift at my gym.....
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    ^ This. I hate it when people drop the bar. They're seeking attention and it disrupts other's concentration.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    I control it on the way down.Strength Camp did a video on dropping the deadlift at the top. Only reason to control it down is for the hypertrophy effect.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    No. The negative portion of the lift is good for the posterior chain and you should consider doing it. You should see your deadlifts improve. At my powerlifting meet every single person followed the bar down. Nobody dropped it. Some were a bit harder set downs than others, but nobody dropped it. If those guys can do it with 700+ pounds you can too.

In most federations that I've seen, dropping the deadlift isn't even allowed at all. The bar must be lowered under control.
  • DeadliftAddict
    DeadliftAddict Posts: 746 Member
    Options

This. And unless you have bumper plates, the equipment isn't intended to be dropped outside of an emergency situation.

There is also a difference between dropping it from waist level and a controlled drop. Once again, you really shouldn't do either without bumper plates and proper flooring. Respect the equipment, you pay dues but you don't own the place.

AMEN!!!
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    I'm training on my own equipment and so can do whatever I want, but I personally don't drop it.

Lowering it under control is extra work on the posterior chain that i don't want to miss out on...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Dealifts bad for your back but he does power cleans? ahahaha :) Tell him to look into the knee injuries involved with that vs amount of people doing deadlifts :)

I "drop" the weight yeah, they've put special flooring for a reason. I'm not gna sloooowly lift and slooooowly release the weight, I'm working on strength which I need to do with less time-under-tension

There is a HUGE difference between control release and a drop and doing a slow motion lift.

dropped /=/ controlled return /=/ super slow dead lift
  • bkyoun
    bkyoun Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I don't drop it. I like getting the benefits up and down.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Only time I drop the bar from the top is when attempting one rep max, if I am going to be doing more than 1 rep in a set I bring it down, as the negative is part of the lift, yes I could probably get 5 reps instead of 3 at a weight if i did drop it, but I don't see that as a set. I see it as 5, one-rep sets with very little break
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    NO
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

this. Even deadlifting with bumper plates I don't drop it.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I used to, when I worked out in a gym with bumper plates and a padded surface.

I read a few articles stating that the negative on deadlifts isn't beneficial and can be dangerous.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    Not intentionally. There have been occasions though, and I don't always put it down gently. In a gym though, I like to be somewhat considerate of others.
  • homeyjosey
    homeyjosey Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    when I'm lifting more for strength and max out with 4 reps per set I drop the weight form my knees with each rep and reset, when I lift lighter and go for 7 plus reps I touch the ground and lift