CMoeDee Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Beer.
  • timbiden
    timbiden Posts: 21
    Options
    @ JTexasFlood
    Peanuts. They get addicting sometimes!

Watch out for foods with Maltodextrin. It's common in roasted peanuts and is a relative of MSG. It is addictive when combined with Salt.
  • thatonegirlwiththestuff
    thatonegirlwiththestuff Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    My specialties include eating five times the recommend serving size and falling in love with men I can't have. Such strife.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Most of these I agree with. BUt as far as drinks, not everything comes in a single serve package!! You wouldn't buy 10 individual sized servings of milk, you buy a gallon or whatever.

Cereal is a ridiculously small serving. Especially Frosted Mini-Wheats.

BUT From what I've heard, the nutrition labels will be changing to reflect larger portions.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Most cereals. Serving sizes are usually a cup, or worse...a 1/2 cup. For realz? A dang bowl of cereal then ends up to be 2 to 4+ servings.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    I should just say ditto! Cereal and ice cream for me. And raisins.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    Options
    Just a note about the peanut butter measuring thing...learned it here and would love to pay it forward because it changed my life. No, literally.

Put the item being peanut-buttered (apple, toast, etc) on a digital scale set to grams and tare it. Scoop out some PB and add it to the item. Don't go by tablespoons, too subjective! Add more or take away, until you hit the serving size you want--one serving is 32 grams. Much, much easier. I was really overestimating, not so much on toast but I was scooping out the center of the apple and piling a crapton of PB in there thinking "There, that's a tablespoon." :delusional:
  • CoffeeBugg
    CoffeeBugg Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I love that the images on the packaging of food always shows a nice full plate or bowl, but the serving size is listed at a thimble. :huh:
  • LeahFerri
    LeahFerri Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Absolutely on the Pop-Tarts. The second one gets stale if you don't eat it.
    Any single-person drink bottle (clearly designed to fit in a cupholder, not be drunk from a cup) that contains more than one serving. Like the Bai infusions that I drink--they're 5cal a serving, 10cal a bottle--shouldn't the bottle just be the serving? Sheesh.
    Agreed on the cereal, too. I don't eat cereal because it's generally not worth it for me.
    Snacks that come in relatively small bags that aren't resealable. I know putting the resealable opening on would cost most, but I shouldn't feel like I have to eat three servings because I don't have a rubber band and I don't want to spill something all over the inside of my backpack.
  • Linli_Anne
    Linli_Anne Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    Cheese - 1 oz? Really? Or rather a 1cmx1cm cube.....

Chocolate Chips/Raisins - 1 tbsp...at least give me 1/4 cup.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup of cereal. I don't know who eats that much, but not me.
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say Pop-Tarts and cereal! I can see that's pretty common. lol
  • fayefayee5
    fayefayee5 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    tortilla chips get me. I love chips and salsa... and the brand I buy 13 chips is 130 cals, needless to say I normally eat 2 servings of those.

Also hershey kisses. They are my go to for a chocolate craving, and i think a serving is 8? Yeahhh... that ones tough.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    most any canned item. for example, spagettios are listed as about 2 servings. if you do the math its actually 1.6 servings. canned beans make me nuts, i rinse them so i blow out any chance of any form of measurement matching the serving size listed. really, who eats the bean snot?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Peanut brittle: serving size = full box, no matter what size
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Peanut brittle: serving size = full box, no matter what size

indeed.

serving size for pizza to me is 1 pizza.

unfortunately my counter/tracker gizmo often gets mad because that winds up being way over LOL

still- I eat the whole thing.

cereal/ice cream/oreos.

steak? what's a recommend serving size 8 oz? wtf eats just 8 oz. grumble- it should come in 12 or bigger- nothing smaller. EVER!!
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    most any canned item. for example, spagettios are listed as about 2 servings. if you do the math its actually 1.6 servings. canned beans make me nuts, i rinse them so i blow out any chance of any form of measurement matching the serving size listed. really, who eats the bean snot?

THIS!!! I always wonder if my chili recipe is WAY off because I drain and rinse the kidney beans. Ugh.
  • k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    Good news peeps!!! The FDA is going to change the serving sizes from "mere morsel" to "what we actually eat"... so no more 2.5 servings in a 20 oz of soda... no more 2 tagalongs... or half a candy bar... ;)
  • angel7472
    angel7472 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    enchiladas- they put 2 in a package but serving size is 1.
    salsa- really 2 tbsp for 13 chips I usually end up going waaaaaaay over on this.
    canned stuff ticks me off! Can of diced tomatoes has 3.5 servings! REALLY!
    I could go on and on but I wont!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER! who uses ONLY 2 tbsp?!? and have you actually MEASURED out 2 tbsp... :sad:

I have, and it makes me :cry:.

Pop Tarts...they put two in the pack and really expect you to only eat one? I've mastered that skill now, but come on!

Also, the chocolate peanut butter no-bakes I ate last week before I looked at the package. 3 cookies, 3 servings. :sad:

Everyone knows a serving of ice cream has to fill the bowl. :drinker: