Stupid Serving Size

Options

Replies

• caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that ketchup's 1tbsp serving size is INSANE. It's like one tiny little blob of ketchup. I love ketchup, and almost always eat 2-3 tbsp whenever I eat it.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Cheetos Grab Bag is 2 1/2 Servings! Or as I like to call it - 1 PMS serving!!

:ohwell:
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Thin Mints.

Contrary to popular belief, the serving size is not "1 sleeve," it's "4 cookies."
  • klaff411
    klaff411 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's been mentioned before now, but it should have.

Chocolate chips. I think a serving size is like 1 tbsp (or 22 chips). That's like barely a handful! :noway:

Yeah, I was doing some gluten free baking and I didn't want to add extra sugar. So I was looking for bitter chocolate. 2tbls for a whole batch of friggen cookies? Gimme a break.

The rumor is FDA is going to be changing serving sizes to better reflect amounts. Personally I think it should just show the whole package.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    This must be a US thing...the lables in Canada seem to have reasonable serving sizes.
  • dswolverine
    dswolverine Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cereal and ice cream! NO ONE eats half a cup of ice cream, especially if it's out of a bigger container like Edy's or Breyers. And cereal- just ridiculous. A regular sized bowl is at least 2 cups to fill up
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Nutella. I could eat the whole jar with a spoon. Or my fingers.

QFT! How could I forget this one?!?!?!
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Pop Tarts!

If the serving size is one pastry, then why the heck are there two per pouch?
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    Otis Spunkmeyer muffins. Serving size 1/2 muffin. Dumb. And the whole Ramen, 1/2 block thing.
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Thin Mints.

Contrary to popular belief, the serving size is not "1 sleeve," it's "4 cookies."

I have this issue with Shortbreads / Trefoils, too!!
  • sombrefawn
    sombrefawn Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Ramen- a half a packet is a serving size.

You're right! Who's like "Hey wanna split this little packet of Ramen with me?" ?
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Trader Joe's peanut satay noodle boxes. What do you MEAN I'm only supposed to eat half?

Boxed macaroni and cheese. If I'm going to be eating mac and cheese, I plan ahead of time to fit it into my daily goals, because there's no way I'm sharing that cheesy goodness.
  • Rak0ribz
    Rak0ribz Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I NEVER paid attention to recommended serving size until I found this site and started measuring.
    One of my favorite foods is rice and one of my favorites has a recommended serving size of 1/4 cup, now who in their right mind thinks that a 1/4 cup of rice is a damn serving? Seriously???

I think that's 1/4 cup _uncooked_, isn't it?
  • MissLCWolff
    MissLCWolff Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I NEVER paid attention to recommended serving size until I found this site and started measuring.
    One of my favorite foods is rice and one of my favorites has a recommended serving size of 1/4 cup, now who in their right mind thinks that a 1/4 cup of rice is a damn serving? Seriously???

I think that's 1/4 cup _uncooked_, isn't it?
    Yeah, I was shocked by the 1/4 cup serving size for rice or quinoa until I realized that translated to a full cup after cooking.
  • DavidSTC
    DavidSTC Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    PEANUT BUTTER! who uses ONLY 2 tbsp?!? and have you actually MEASURED out 2 tbsp... :sad:

Yeah, I just realized how small that is this morning. I know I overate on peanut butter before. But ... it is quite filling.

Potato chips, for me. I usually just avoid them now unless they're part of a meal. Vinegar and sea salt chips are especially addicting.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Ok, the OP started with how x number of cookies isn't enough, followed by people agreeing. That's easy, eat two cookies and stop. I don't see any issue there.

That depends on the size/type of cookie. I had a $2 cookie today from the bakery, and just the one was plenty. (PB cookie sprinkled with baker's sugar then drizzled with chocolate icing) But if it's a store bought cookie, I usually eat four because they are very small.

ETA: If it's a cookie that I baked myself, then two is typically what I eat.
  • paigecash
    paigecash Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Wine.

This.
  • JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Almonds - really- 10?
  • SarahBethS
    SarahBethS Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that ketchup's 1tbsp serving size is INSANE. It's like one tiny little blob of ketchup. I love ketchup, and almost always eat 2-3 tbsp whenever I eat it.

If you can find it, try the Heinz Reduced Sugar ketchup. It's 5 calories per tbs vs 20 cal per tbs and I can't tell a difference.
  • jchadden42
    jchadden42 Posts: 189
    Options
    Good news peeps!!! The FDA is going to change the serving sizes from "mere morsel" to "what we actually eat"... so no more 2.5 servings in a 20 oz of soda... no more 2 tagalongs... or half a candy bar... ;)

Because we can't just do the math ourselves??