Do you spin? I have and the seat is killing me! Help

Options
2»

Replies

• erickbrian
    erickbrian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For the most part, you can get used to it. I think that's because most people adjust to the pain, or learn how to sit properly.

But you'll eventually need to find the bones you sit on, cyclist call them your SIT BONES, and we're able to balance on those bad boys for hours.

Same as with spinning, you should be balancing your core on your site bones. (Don't confuse sitting on your sit bones for sitting on your *kitten*. You shouldn't be sitting on your muscle/fat/nerves/arteries/etc. This could lead to numb nuts, numb butts, numb legs, or for women...numbgina.)

During spinning/cycling, you should be using your hands to balance your upper body and support, your legs and feet should be engaged and carrying some weight, and that should relieve some weight off your butt making it easier to find your sweet spot on the saddle with your sit bones.

*Find your sit bones — Sit on a flat, hard surface. (Wooden chair would be good.) Sit as you normally would, and then try and sit up straight, chest out. Your back should curve a bit, then lean slightly forward, and slightly raise your heels while keeping your toes grounded. You should be able to feel yourself pivot on your sit bones.

**Getting relief during – Cyclists are constantly moving on the saddle. From the rear, we slide forward, then back again, then we stand up. This helps alleviate some of the pressure. Also, make sure your bike is setup to your height and leg length. (Play with seat height and adjusting it forward or backwards.)

***Shorts/Liners – Shorts with chamois will definitely help. Also absorbs sweat, reducing any rash or sores that could occur. Also feels comfy and makes anyone's butt look sexy!

Hope this helps out.
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    You mean you don't like being violated by inanimate objects? :noway:
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Bike shorts.

And yeah, you get used to it.

On a real bike you can change your seat to one you like, but yeah, not so much on a gym spin bike.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take the seat off and just use the post.
  • barbalari
    barbalari Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Four times a week and I LOVE IT!!!! The pain gets easier over time.....:laugh:
  • dawlschic007
    dawlschic007 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I saw on Ebay I can buy silicone seat covers, but will I look totally stupid walking in and slipping on a padded seat? LOL

I've only done a handful of spin classes (would love to do more but the timing doesn't work with my schedule) and I've seen quite a few people come in with the padded seats of they have their own seat they use. If I did spin more, I'd probably invest in one of these.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take the seat off and just use the post.

*spits on the post*
    I'm a helper!