How do I log CPR.

Options
12346»

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

HIPAA

^^This. And for the squirrels out there who are bragging, most of us who have done it before take our patients into consideration since that is part of the job. I wonder what your OMD or chief/supervisor would think about going on the internet and divulging private information. Not cool.

where is the private, identifying information? am i missing it? like, if i put all that word salad into google will i be able to figure out where the patient lives? it all seems to speak about an incident, not a person.

am i not allowed to say that "a person" had a heart attack? does that fall under hipaa too?
  • DavPul
    Options
    For those worried about HIPPA - I think she is OK - She didn't provide name, or address of the patient, the hospital or anything else actually identifying (unless I really missed something other than the age and her weight)

She said she was airlifted to Boise. In Boise, there are exactly 2 hospitals that could handle this level of acuity.Really, only one would be the logical choice. It wouldnt' be too hard to figure it out.

okay, it's a hospital in Boise. what's the patient's name and what room is she staying in?
  • DavPul
    Options
    and why is everyone crying about the OP wanted to log it? what, because he did a good deed he don't get to eat? Should he donate his paycheck to charity too?

EMTs make really good money. Or so I've heard.

OP, I know this is a day late, but I'd "log it" by drinking a couple beers and eating a plate of chili cheese fries and not logging them.

heh- that's exactly the opposite of what I've heard.

me too
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    What situation would put you in a position to HAVE to do CPR for 2 hours. First of all you would be switching since the guidelines state you can't do quality compressions for more than 5 minutes. Technically you should be switching every 2 minutes if you have a defib. I've done it and its really tiring on the body if your getting proper compressions. So to say two hours... Hmm. If you actually did do it then shame on your agency for putting you in that position and congrats on a marathon session. Also a patient who is in **fib or coded is extraordinarily not likely to come back after 10 minutes, let alone 2 hours. I know TV shows people amazingly waking up, but in real life... Not as much. It does happen from time to time though, so again congrats if it did happen but if your an EMT you have to understand why someone may be suspicious.

Not trying to be a troll. I would love to hear the situation. (I'm a Rescue Medic)

Ok here is condensed version. I live in a very rural area. 2 person crew. Paged out for difficulty breathing. On scene pt is c/o n/v, 10/10 CP and sweating. Pt is 400 pound 76 yo female. Place her on O2, give Asa, start IV, give zofran and NTG. Call fire for lift assist and paramedic unit 20 miles away for RNDZ. Pt B/P 170/120 after NTG 140/120. Pt pain 8/10. Monitor showing Afib, pt had hx, so not concerned, then went to vtach, self resolved, still c/o 8/10 cp, medic unit arrived, we gave lopresser, MS, and applied 1" NTG paste. Hospital is 25 miles away upon arrival,t returns to vtach and then fib and unresponsive. I started compressions, remember we only have 5 ppl 3 medics, a RN and the doctor. So everyone has a job, incubate crash cart, documentation, etc... When I was too tired to continue, I switched jobs and bagged, then running for meds, then back to compressions, SROC, faded, repete...for two hours! She finally. Regained and maintained pulse, and we put her on a bird to Boise. So no, I did not do compressions for two hours, but I bet I did for one total. I never stopped moving! So that's the code in a nutshell. Writing it out sounds lame. Sorry... But hey! I did my job she had a pulse and was sent to definitive care. Now I will just pray for her and move on... I'm not heartless just been doing medicine since 1984. Not much I haven't seen. Have a good night! Thanks!

Just dropped in to say I think you're amazing!! Thank you for all that you do :flowerforyou:
  • doug_pierce
    doug_pierce Posts: 255
    Options
    Congrats. Rather than logging the CPR, have a few good beers and don't log them. You've earned it.
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?

Have you ever done CPR?

I haven't done 'actual' CPR, but was in a first aid course and we did it on dummies. I tell you, it is HARD work. You get tired after a few minutes. That is why, if it is possible, it is best to have more than one person to administer CPR so they can take turns.

The poster has every right to celebrate saving someone's life by eating more.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    and why is everyone crying about the OP wanted to log it? what, because he did a good deed he don't get to eat? Should he donate his paycheck to charity too?

EMTs make really good money. Or so I've heard.

OP, I know this is a day late, but I'd "log it" by drinking a couple beers and eating a plate of chili cheese fries and not logging them.

heh- that's exactly the opposite of what I've heard.

me too

+1

EMTs deserve a helluva lot more money than they make for the time they put into the job and the physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion that comes along with it. However, EMTs aren't doing it for the money nor are they necessarily worried about the money because they know what they signed up for. The way they see it: saving lives > increased paycheck, which is totally how it should be.
  • ileitch
    ileitch Posts: 99
    Options
    Doing CPR for 15 minutes: 165 calories

According to http://www.jems.com/article/health-and-safety/neat-calorie-burn-method-perfect-ems

2 hours CPR, 1320 calories.

Log it. I don't know what's wrong with some of these people. CPR is hard work.
    How wonderful that it was successful.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Cardio. Congrats on getting through it...I used to teach it and it can be taxing.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    For those worried about HIPPA - I think she is OK - She didn't provide name, or address of the patient, the hospital or anything else actually identifying (unless I really missed something other than the age and her weight)

This^^ OP did not personally identify the patient.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

HIPAA
    What's the violation?
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    As anyone knows who read my profile, I am an EMT. Tonight I worked 2 hard hours doing CPR To save a woman. ( success!) This is intense exercise. How would I log it! Thank you!

I only log intentional exercise as exercise. The rest I consider to be part of my everyday life be it work or at-home activity. I am working on having a more active lifestyle and I don't want to consider myself sedentary so I can log everything else as exercise.....:o). I also don't exercise so I can eat more.....as so many people do.
    But congratulations on saving a life.....you deserve to celebrate any which way you want.....:o).
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing a new perspective here. The way I have always looked at it (and I have pushed on more than my fair share of chests before) is that the person is already dead. You can only improve the situation (in some cases) by doing something. It's not that scary.

so glad that the medics whove brought my daughter back several times over the years have seen her as a child needing help and not as a dead body
  • DavPul
    Options
    I'm seeing a new perspective here. The way I have always looked at it (and I have pushed on more than my fair share of chests before) is that the person is already dead. You can only improve the situation (in some cases) by doing something. It's not that scary.

so glad that the medics whove brought my daughter back several times over the years have seen her as a child needing help and not as a dead body

How do you know what they were thinking?
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    Options

I think the statment was made in regards to posts like this one, where it's called a "scary work out".
    Sorry but seriously? You saved a life and you are concerned about calories lost? And you consider CPR exercise?

You have clearly never done CPR. It is most definitely a work out. A very scary work out.

That said, I don't really think there's a way to accurately log it unless you were wearing an HRM at the time and have a burn estimate, OP. Sorry.

Mabye I'm misreading the "already dead" part, but it seems to me the mindset is more like "This person IS dead... unless we do something," so you don't worry about being scared. You act. You don't worry about the how the situation feels. You don't think "oh my god, this person's hurt / dying". You act and do what you're trained to do. Your mind just goes to a checklist of what actions you need to take.

That's why you'll sometime see first responders, soldiers, or other individuals like that who don't always realize the danger they may have been in until afterwards, because they're caught up in simply reacting and following their training.
This discussion has been closed.