Can you use Pam (spray oil) as substitute for butter

Options
124»

Replies

• craftywitch_63
    craftywitch_63 Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    in recipe? Recipe calls for 150g of butter. Can I just spray pam for a minute or two into the other ingredients as a replacement for butter?

Why would you want to replace butter - just make it fit into your calories (butter tastes better). :smile:

Don't have any butter and i also plan on eating the entire batch

:smile: - why not try it and see how it turns out. There's nothing better than experimental cooking (except of course when it doesn't work).

I remember once spending 3 hours preparing and cooking a spinach and potato dish - what a waste of 3 hours (time I will never get back). In the end I threw it in the bin and fried up a packet bubble and squeak.

Good luck.

^^^ This, but you have to remember that the "0" calorie thing only works for 1/4 second spray! In acutality, the calories in cooking spray are equivalent to the calories in butter

http://www.thekitchn.com/food-science-the-science-behin-71468

I personally use cooking spray because of the convenience, I just use a whole lot less now than when I thought it had zero calories! :drinker:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ok, i sprayed pam into the flour and other ingredients for 3 minutes and added 250ml of milk instead of 150g of butter

it turned out pretty good

But...
    1minute spray = 37.8g of fat = 340calories

You just used an estimated 1020 calories of canola oil plus milk to replace 150g of butter? ICK! :sick:

when life gives you lemons, make lemonade

i didnt have butter, life gave me pam, i made pizza

You didn't have oil either? Since you were making pizza, why the hell would butter have even been used? Oil is for pizza crust, not butter.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

i HAD NO BUTTER OR OIL. pam was my only option.

What is wrong with your kitchen, man? You can't run out of both. Ever. That's just wrong.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

What is wrong with your kitchen, man? You can't run out of both. Ever. That's just wrong.

I'm still baffled over the wrong octane gasoline thing.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I'm still baffled over the wrong octane gasoline thing.

:laugh:

That too
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    A house without Olive Oil? WHAT?
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Have you not made it yet. It would have been quicker to pop to the shops and buy some butter!!

And if you had walked then screw the extra calories - you're just eating them back. :laugh:

I live 120km from the nearest supermarket and i can't drive my car right now because i put the wrong octane gas in it, so im going to use the pam and i will report back and post my results.

:smile:

'i put the wrong octane gas in it'

Have you not learnt your lesson already? :smile:

Maybe make something else for lunch?

learnt is not a word

have you learned your lesson kind sir?

In England, where the English speak English it is a word.

Pretty sure its called great britain and they speak british english

England is a part of Great Britain, and it is the part where the English language comes from. The Welsh language comes from Wales; Scots Gaelic from Scotland; and Irish from Ireland (part of which is still part of Great Britain). Pretty much all British people speak English, and everyone in the Republic of Ireland. But the language originated in England, hence why it's called English.

It might be a good idea if you didn't try to teach British people about their own country.

Sorry to pick you up on this but people from the North East don't speak English (sorry to all the Jordie brethren) I just had to make the joke!!!!! :smile:

Also Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain - They're part of the United Kingdom and that's what makes Britain so great (we like to keep things confusing). :laugh:
  • sillygoosie
    sillygoosie Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Pam is not food. It is a lubricant.

FYI it works really well to kill swarms of bugs when camping. Unfortunately, your entire tent will smell like "butter flavor".
  • fitfreakymom
    fitfreakymom Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    just use a reduced calorie butter or margarine. and not eat the entire batch lol.