When To Weigh?

Options
thatfitgeek
thatfitgeek Posts: 54 Member
Hey, there! I was wondering when I should weigh for the most accurate reading (not necessarily the lightest). As of now, I weigh twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I gain two pounds (roughly, sometimes 1 and sometimes 3, depending on what I ate/if I worked out that day) from morning to night. I know that 198 and 200 doesn't sound like a big difference but it is. Anyways, thanks!

Also, how often do you weigh? I feel like I am obsessed with the number on the scale and am trying to learn to focus on my overall health, not just my relation to gravity (AKA weight).

Replies

• NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself at night right before bed and after I pee first thing in the morning. Some people will tell you not to do that because it can be discouraging blah blah blah but I actually use it to track my time of the month since it's been wacky due to the weight loss. I know when I wake up and it says I've gained a lb, it's nature saying "yo, you're not pregnant but here's an extra pound just to eff with you anyway"/
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Wednesday mornings o-^ After I pee.
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    Haha:)! That last line made my morning! Thank you!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    About a week after my cycle and first thing in the morning.
  • lmyers132625
    lmyers132625 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    mornings after I use the bathroom, and not every day.
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    it's nature saying "yo, you're not pregnant but here's an extra pound just to eff with you anyway"/
    That made my day, thanks:)!
  • loriwarnerpaulsen
    loriwarnerpaulsen Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've been focused on losing weight for about 5 weeks. I find myself weighing first thing in the morning. If it goes up a lot, I really refocus and generally it has helped me to keep myself accountable. I know many recommend 1x a week but frankly, for now, this method works for me. Best of luck.
  • GBrady43068
    GBrady43068 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    Hey, there! I was wondering when I should weigh for the most accurate reading (not necessarily the lightest). As of now, I weigh twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I gain two pounds (roughly, sometimes 1 and sometimes 3, depending on what I ate/if I worked out that day) from morning to night. I know that 198 and 200 doesn't sound like a big difference but it is. Anyways, thanks!
    If you've been doing this for awhile, you've probably noticed that your weight fluctuates like crazy over the course of a day. Therefore, "accurate" is kind of a relative term...your weight is "accurate" at the moment you take it and not so much later that same day. That being said....
    Also, how often do you weigh? I feel like I am obsessed with the number on the scale and am trying to learn to focus on my overall health, not just my relation to gravity (AKA weight).
    I do the weight that I log once a week, first thing in the morning. This, admittedly, will probably be when I'm "lightest" since I've been burning modest amounts of fuel overnight and haven't eaten in several hours. However, I am reasonably certain of its "accuracy" because what I am looking for is the overall downward trend from week to week. I am weighing in the same conditions each time. Honestly, I think consistency of HOW you weigh is most important...if you weigh right after lunch on Tuesdays with your shoes on, weigh right after lunch each Tuesday with your shoes on. If it's Monday before bed naked, do it Monday before bed naked.

If you're too obsessed with the scale number reduce your weighing to once a week (or every other week) and add other non-weight yardsticks...measure your neck, your hips, your waist. If you regularly walk/run/jog a mile or two on the treadmill, track how long/how fast you go to observe the progress. Take selfies so you can watch the weight coming off.

Good luck!
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    [/quote]
    Take selfies so you can watch the weight coming off.

[/quote]

Thank you and I loved the way you slipped 'selfies' into that, haha:)!
  • Michigander1956
    Michigander1956 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You need to get away from the scale ...once a week try every Monday right after you go to the bathroom and don't look back. You will drive yourself nuts weighing 2 x a day. That's what I do anyway ..one time a week. Good Luck!
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    it's nature saying "yo, you're not pregnant but here's an extra pound just to eff with you anyway"/
    That made my day, thanks:)!
    Lol You are welcome!!
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    I've been focused on losing weight for about 5 weeks. I find myself weighing first thing in the morning. If it goes up a lot, I really refocus and generally it has helped me to keep myself accountable. I know many recommend 1x a week but frankly, for now, this method works for me. Best of luck.

Thank you! And same to you xx!
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    You need to get away from the scale ...once a week try every Monday right after you go to the bathroom and don't look back. You will drive yourself nuts weighing 2 x a day. That's what I do anyway ..one time a week. Good Luck!

Thank you so much! And yes, I do. I freak out because I've gained 3 pounds but the next morning I've lost 3.2 so it's okay! I think I will try this method!
  • tomato_77
    Options
    I actually read somewhere that you weigh less on Fridays than you do on Mondays - basically because you're usually better about eating healthy during the week and the weekends not so much. I weigh myself on Saturday and Monday mornings. I log Saturday's weight and I use Monday as a guage.
  • sharinganxphunk
    sharinganxphunk Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I've been to the loo, and before I eat or drink anything.
    However, I'm able to not obsess over the fluctuations that I see during the week.

If you're comfortable with your weighing routine and aren't getting stressed about the numbers then carry on with what you're doing :)
  • EmmieBaby
    EmmieBaby Posts: 1,235 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning (wake up, pee, weigh myself, drink coffee) rinse and repeat
  • amw5471
    amw5471 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I think not worrying about time for the most accurate number is not really going to work. Just pick a day and time to weigh yourself every week or any other interval that you choose.
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning after I've been to the loo, and before I eat or drink anything.
    However, I'm able to not obsess over the fluctuations that I see during the week.

If you're comfortable with your weighing routine and aren't getting stressed about the numbers then carry on with what you're doing :)

• Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I may jump on the scale throughout the week just to peak but generally I base all my progress off of my Friday morning weigh in. Wake up, pee, get naked, get on the scale, log weight and either say "yay" or "eff you" haha
  • Vickie8120
    Options
    Sunday morning and Friday Morning after I go to the bathroom and shower.....