When To Weigh?

Options

Replies

• thatfitgeek
    thatfitgeek Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I may jump on the scale throughout the week just to peak but generally I base all my progress off of my Friday morning weigh in. Wake up, pee, get naked, get on the scale, log weight and either say "yay" or "eff you" haha

Haha! I like that but do the numbers you see throughout the week not bother you if they aren't where you want them?
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I may jump on the scale throughout the week just to peak but generally I base all my progress off of my Friday morning weigh in. Wake up, pee, get naked, get on the scale, log weight and either say "yay" or "eff you" haha

Haha! I like that but do the numbers you see throughout the week not bother you if they aren't where you want them?

I use it as a gauge whether I'm being lazy or not. So for example if I'm up more than 2 pounds than previous friday on a random day weigh than I know I'm off course and I real it in and step up my game. If I'm fluctuating 1 or 2 lbs than I'm not too concerned due to water weight/retention and all that jazz. Its a great check and balance but to keep a solid progress record I only record my friday morning weigh in
  • loubidy
    loubidy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Not at all for lent (ARRGHH Already killing me!!)

But normally would do it Saturday morning, naked, after I pee, before I shower and eat.

I am currently trying to aim for BFP rather than overall mass which I will get measured for again in about 8 weeks.
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    Not at all for lent (ARRGHH Already killing me!!)

But normally would do it Saturday morning, naked, after I pee, before I shower and eat.

I am currently trying to aim for BFP rather than overall mass which I will get measured for again in about 8 weeks.

Oh, gosh! Best of luck too you!
  • thatfitgeek
    Options

I use it as a gauge whether I'm being lazy or not. So for example if I'm up more than 2 pounds than previous friday on a random day weigh than I know I'm off course and I real it in and step up my game. If I'm fluctuating 1 or 2 lbs than I'm not too concerned due to water weight/retention and all that jazz. Its a great check and balance but to keep a solid progress record I only record my friday morning weigh in

That actually makes a lot of sense, haha! Thanks:) xx
  • steph8679
    steph8679 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I suggest weighing yourself once a week. Do this the same time and day weekly. I was obsessed with weighing myself multiple times a day and all it did in the end was bring my self confidence down. There's nothing more upsetting then seeing the numbers climb up on the scale when you are working your butt off! You don't need the scale to know if you are being lazy or not, you already know yourself if you are or not. What I finally did was weigh myself one day and put the scale in a closet and didn't touch it until the next week. The first couple days are the hardest but after that it's no big deal. Celebrate the positives and not focus on the negatives! :smile:
  • luckydays27
    luckydays27 Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I officially weigh in on Saturdays but I get on the scale every morning to see where I am for the week. I am not obsessed with the actual number but do it as a verification that all is well. I also get on the scale before bed because if the number is more than 3 lbs from my weigh in in the morning (I generally lose the 3 lbs overnight), I look back on the day to see what I ate. I am more apt to remember where my mistakes are then waiting until the next day or the end of the week.

Some people would see this as obsession but I dont since its not the actual number that matters to me. If I gain, no biggie, if I lose, great. I just want to make sure that what I am doing is working for me.

Do whats best for you but dont get upset when the number on the scale is not what you want to see.
    Take pics and measurements as those are better judges of getting fit than only the number on the scale. (think skinny fat people)
  • Jlew64
    Jlew64 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    If you're going for "accurate" you should be consistent.... weigh once a week, on the same scale, at the same time of day, in the same clothes, or naked... as you see from your own experience your weight can fluctuate by a few pounds even over the course of a day so you want to be consistent so you're comparing apples to apples.
  • MrsHuffmanNC
    MrsHuffmanNC Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I am going to weigh friday mornings after I use the bathroom.
  • krennie8
    krennie8 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    it probably varies from person to person. I tend to weight the least on Monday though I do my "out" night on Wednesday and I personally find it harder to control my diet during the week w/work. On the weekends I have all the time in the world to cook/exercise (if I want).
  • emmylouise25
    Options
    Every Monday I get up, pee and weigh myself; that way I'm not getting on the scales so much as to obsess over every little blip but I'm also not leaving it too long to get way off track. If that makes sense? :tongue:
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    Every Monday I get up, pee and weigh myself; that way I'm not getting on the scales so much as to obsess over every little blip but I'm also not leaving it too long to get way off track. If that makes sense? :tongue:

It does, thank you!
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    Hey, there! I was wondering when I should weigh for the most accurate reading (not necessarily the lightest). As of now, I weigh twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I gain two pounds (roughly, sometimes 1 and sometimes 3, depending on what I ate/if I worked out that day) from morning to night. I know that 198 and 200 doesn't sound like a big difference but it is. Anyways, thanks!

Also, how often do you weigh? I feel like I am obsessed with the number on the scale and am trying to learn to focus on my overall health, not just my relation to gravity (AKA weight).

Why do you weigh at night?
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    Hey, there! I was wondering when I should weigh for the most accurate reading (not necessarily the lightest). As of now, I weigh twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I gain two pounds (roughly, sometimes 1 and sometimes 3, depending on what I ate/if I worked out that day) from morning to night. I know that 198 and 200 doesn't sound like a big difference but it is. Anyways, thanks!

Also, how often do you weigh? I feel like I am obsessed with the number on the scale and am trying to learn to focus on my overall health, not just my relation to gravity (AKA weight).

Why do you weigh at night?

I don't know actually, haha! I feel the need to. I guess to see how my weight fluctuates, but I get really upset when it is more than it was in the morning (I know it should be though!) I am trying to focus on the fit of my clothes more so than my weight now.
  • Lpaduano17
    Lpaduano17 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I step on the scale almost every day but only record Sunday mornings after using the bathroom. As others have said I use the numbers I see throughout the week as a gauge to know if I'm on the right track or if I need to step it up. Some don't like this method but I don't let the numbers during the week bother me as ultimately it's the one on Sunday mornings that means the most.
  • VegGirl62
    VegGirl62 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself once a week on Thursdays. usually around 7:30 am after I have been to the potty. Try to stick to the same day and time for a more "accurate" picture of your weight loss :)
  • miss_denisse
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I know that might be bad to me personally that just gives me that EXTRA incentive to want to go to the gym and watch what I eat even more. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so focus more on how you look and feel versus what a number tells you! Also, for accuracy use a digital scale! Hope this helps and good luck!
  • thatfitgeek
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday. I know that might be bad to me personally that just gives me that EXTRA incentive to want to go to the gym and watch what I eat even more. Remember that muscle weighs more than fat so focus more on how you look and feel versus what a number tells you! Also, for accuracy use a digital scale! Hope this helps and good luck!

THANK YOU! I think I am going to try to focus on how my clothes fit and how I feel and look than that number (but still use it to gauge)
  • tenpoints4u
    tenpoints4u Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    From an RN perspective...weigh in the morning, after void, naked. this is your weight before you add meals and exercise, which bulk up your stomach (food) and muscles (exercise/movement) Weight gain overnight of 2 pounds or greater than 5 pounds in a week is most likely fluid and not fat. your body won't make fat overnight that fast, but retaining fluid such as that time of month, heart problems and the amount of salt you ate the day before will dictate how much fluid you retain.

I do weigh every day, once in the morning (see above) and right before I go to bed. Why? Because if I have more than 2 pounds fluctuation from morning to night, I know I have taken in too much salt and the next day I try to drink an extra glass of water to get rid of it. And if it is within a pound of the morning weight, I look forward to weighing the next morning because I know I will have some weight loss. It also keeps me focused on my goal. Scales and clothes don't lie. So if I want to lose weight I have to be focused on that. The only time I don't weigh is when I am out of town on a trip. I put in lots of walking then so any extra calories get absorbed and I am usually down at least a pound and generally 3 to 4 when I get back.

Do what keeps you motivated.
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a day. Well, twice a day, since I do the body test on Wii Fit. But it's more of just a general guideline, the one I really count is on the scale in my bathroom. I do it after I pee, but before I drink or eat anything. I only wear my underwear. I feel doing it in the morning is easiest, because as soon as you eat a meal it's going to show on the scale, and it won't be accurate.