short people problems and tall people problems!

Options

Replies

• subsonicbassist
    subsonicbassist Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Also, buying shoes sucks... I dropped from a 15 to a 14 by my feet got a lot more narrow... there is no such thing as a 14 narrow lol! As a result, my shoes get tore up easily and I can't easily find replacements :(
  • ChristinaOrtiz23
    ChristinaOrtiz23 Posts: 1,546 Member
    Options
    Short people problems:

1. parallel parking is a chore, because I'm too short to see over the dash and see the bumper of my car. Saving for a new car for this reason alone.
    2. Machines at the gym are enormous for me. Forget hanging leg lifts, my back can't touch the board.
    3. I have a pair of rubber tongs that I use to grab stuff in the kitchen.
    4. One time a man gave me a snickers bar because he thought I was a child out with my dad (my husband - gross)
    5. Nothing is ever a crop top.
    6. Expensive tailoring bills
    7. Not being able to see over people at concerts, movies, etc.

Short people bonuses:

1. I can buy kid's running shoes - yay cheap!
    2. I can lounge in almost any bathtub
    3. Airline seats are a comfortable size
    4. I can lounge on an apartment sized sofa

lmfao!!!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Ok, average American male is 5'10" and average American female is 5'4" (when ethnicity is taken out of the equation)

How is one defining short and tall? One, two standard deviations from the mean? Because I think some people who say it's not too bad being short or tall may be average in height and only short or tall compared to their social groups or families which still places them into normal height range of general use items (cars, cloths, etc).

I would argue that the more standard deviations you move away from the mean, the more challenging your problems. However, variety is the spice of life right? :).
  • abbylbrown23
    abbylbrown23 Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Ok, average American male is 5'10" and average American female is 5'4" (when ethnicity is taken out of the equation)

How is one defining short and tall? One, two standard deviations from the mean? Because I think some people who say it's not too bad being short or tall may be average in height and only short or tall compared to their social groups or families which still places them into normal height range of general use items (cars, cloths, etc).

I would argue that the more standard deviations you move away from the mean, the more challenging your problems. However, variety is the spice of life right? :).

Average height for female is 5'4" wow I am a giant compared to that OMG. I would have said 5'7" or so. Interesting.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    4. One time a man gave me a snickers bar because he thought I was a child out with my dad (my husband - gross)

Haha... I get mistaken for a child all the time. Makes it all the more creapy when "old men" hit on you (you know the ones I'm talking about).

Once got asked if I had a hall pass at an elementry school when I was doing research on children (I was in college at the time). Of course when the person stopped and really looked at me she turned SUPER RED... lol.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    My friggin' eighth graders are taller than me -.- It's kinda difficult to maintain order if you do not look intimidating.

Don't feel bad, by the time I was in the THIRD grade, I was taller than the teacher that I had in KINDERGARTEN. Granted, she may just have been very very small, but I remember being sent down to her classroom once when I was in third grade and she almost fainted when she saw that I was way taller than her.

I feel ya on that! Even though I'm "only" 5'8" I was already 5'6" at 10 years old. So I was taller than many of the teachers in my school.

My dad was a bit over 6'4" at the time (he has shrunk a bit with age as he's close to 70 now) so everyone assumed I was gonna be well over six foot since I was so tall so young. But nope, only grew 2 more inches!
  • stormyxpony
    stormyxpony Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    my short pant's drag on the ground..
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    I don't normally makes distinctions based on gender, but I think in this case that since the average man is taller than the average woman and not only does society expect that, but also manufacturers of products - that it is more difficult for a woman to be tall and more difficult for a man to be short.

In general - of course there are exceptions to everything.
  • inside_lap
    Options

Average height for female is 5'4" wow I am a giant compared to that OMG. I would have said 5'7" or so. Interesting.

Lol, I'm on the other end of the spectrum then you at 4'10"/4'11". Yes, people really do walk right into me and not see me... lol. Gives me a total complex about making sure people don't accidently step on my toddler. I know that it really does happen and is not just a joke... lol! I make my 6' husband hold her hand or pick her up in crowds. I'm pretty sure people looking eye level at things can see him!!

Edited to add a word I left out. I do agree with the poster who said that generally speaking being shorter is probably harder for men and being taller is probably harder on women.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Tall people never can find clothes that fit just right unless it's tailored.
    The pants are too short.
    The sleeves are too short.
    If it's not those two, manufacturers think I have very tiny shoulders.
    (sigh)
    If it fits, it's too big somewhere, usually in the midsection, but never LONG enough in the midsection...ever.
    My short friends used to get all the fellas because they were petite.
    I knew a fella who was a basketball player. He used to bump his head on exit signs.
    Tall people generally have big feet too, which means trying to find size 9 to 10 shoes. Stores don't order as many of those as they do the 6-8 range.
    On a high point, I can put stuff up on the top shelf and get it out of the way, and I can help elderly people reach things.
    Short people are on their own. LOL
  • grundyk
    grundyk Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I feel the same as you. I'm 5"2" and my husband is taller then me and so is my 16 year old son.
    I always have to get one of them to reach things for me that's to high for me to reach.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Not to nit pick- but last time I checked the offical average was 5'5" (that is unless of course it's gone down- but it's only an inch- what POSSIBLE difference could that make (wink wink nudge nudge)- Only know because my bestie is about that height and we argue all the time about how short she is. lol

I'm surprised that 5'5" is considered average seeing as how I'm 5'8" and I do not feel tall.

Finding pants that fit someone who lifts AND is 5'8" does seem to be an issue- I have grown up to be a skirt/dress wearer because of it at this point. just so much easier- or stretchy pants. I live in stretchy pants.

advantage of being tall- I can use the pull up bars at the gym without an assist.
    I can get on my horse without a stepper
    I can hold my motorcycle up with one or both feet on the ground ;)
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options

Not to nit pick- but last time I checked the offical average was 5'5" (that is unless of course it's gone down- but it's only an inch- what POSSIBLE difference could that make (wink wink nudge nudge)- Only know because my bestie is about that height and we argue all the time about how short she is. lol

I'm surprised that 5'5" is considered average seeing as how I'm 5'8" and I do not feel tall.

Finding pants that fit someone who lifts AND is 5'8" does seem to be an issue- I have grown up to be a skirt/dress wearer because of it at this point. just so much easier- or stretchy pants. I live in stretchy pants.

advantage of being tall- I can use the pull up bars at the gym without an assist.

Levi's 515. They come in long and fit big thighs and small waists.

I must shop a lot...
  • Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Another "tall" person here, though i'm only 5'10"
    Large shoes are always at the back of the bottom shlf, ( why would you do that ? its impossible to reach for tall ppl)
    I usually just buy mens shoes.
    Gloves are usually to small, even xl.
    Back hurts when doing dishes cos the sink is to low.
    I need to take the hems down on all my trousers. And now that i'm wearing smaller sizes its even worse.
    Guys at work only reach up to my shoulders.
    I got smacked in the face by a hedge that was only trimmed to 5-6" off the ground the other day. I feel sorry for the blind guy in my town who is 6 ft, hes always getting smacked if the face by low branches.

On the upside i cn fireman carry all my colleuges if i need to.
    And beaing able to reach high stuff is cool
  • timbiden
    timbiden Posts: 21
    Options

"The report, Mean Body Weight, Height, and Body Mass Index (BMI) 1960-2002: United States, shows that the average height of a man aged 20-74 years increased from just over 5'8" in 1960 to 5'9½" in 2002, while the average height of a woman the same age increased from slightly over 5'3" 1960 to 5'4" in 2002."

As taken from http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/healthcare/a/tallbutfat.htm

So 12 years ago, the average male height was 5'9½" and female height was 5'4". What do you bet it's still going higher in 2014?
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

I must shop a lot...

I live in my Levi's!

Having pants that were just a little too short while growing up is enough for me to know that being tall is worse than being short.

It affected self-esteem growing up! Pants were too short, taller than all the boys, and it took me forever to be comfortable with wearing heels!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I must shop a lot...

hmmmm might have to try them_ i'm not allowed to wear jeans to work- so it hasnt' been an issue- and at the old job- baggy men's jeans were the ticket (construction) so finding something in the middle would be nice. LOL

I mostly am over wearing jeans in general- but having some that made me feel good would change my mind LOL
    So 12 years ago, the average male height was 5'9½" and female height was 5'4". What do you bet it's still going higher in 2014?
    possible- I checked a year ago I think- I should just do it again- but I'm leaving work- lol so no. not happening now.
  • inside_lap
    Options
    Standard deviation for height is roughly 3 inches which may explain why some "taller" or "shorter" people feel "average." Statistics is fun... Lol...
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My 9 year old is almost my height and she can buy shoes in the women's department, while I have to shop in the children's department. But, that's just funny.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I'm short and short waisted on top of it. I always have a hard time finding shirts and dresses because they bunch up high from my torso being too short. Also, because my legs are long in comparison, regular length pants are a little too long and short length ones are too short. Short people don't hide weight as well and really the only advantage I think I have in everyday life is not having to duck under tree branches as much.