Man loses 56 pounds eating McD's

Options
2»

Replies

• princessofredrock
    princessofredrock Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Have not eaten there since I saw the microscope view of a chicken nugget...... nasty!
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I don't think he is recommending that we eat McDonalds everyday to lose weight. I think the point is that you can have McDonalds or any restaurant really and still lose weight ( or maintain ) just as long as it is part of your balanced diet, calorie goals, etc etc etc. And I doubt that guy ate a Bic Mac, a Mcflurry and large fries at every meal. I'm not a McDonalds fan-- I maybe only have McD's a few times a year at best --- but their salads and wraps are reasonable. Now would I want to eat that everyday? No, thats gross. I had McDonalds last week because I needed to eat in between school, a job interview and the gym, and I only consumed 560 calories. Is it something I want to do all the time? No way, but it was there and I had the knowledge to pick the better options there.

But yeah congrats that he lost the weight. I'm sure he is sick of the food.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Back in the day, when I'd steal a McNugget from my son I'd find a weird gristley bit :sick: I don't get the enjoyment in their burgers/chicken but the fries are a whole other story...
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Have not eaten there since I saw the microscope view of a chicken nugget...... nasty!

Is there still beef fat added to the fryer oil, is that why their fries are so irresistible? They're also smaller, allowing for a greater surface area relative to oil, so, lets assimilate ALL the fats!
  • Othelie157
    Options
    I'm sure he is in perfect health! Super size me anyone?

Actually, no one have been able to replicate the results from super size me, and they have tried. In addition Spurlocks notes and food diary, when he finally released it, was incomplete and useless. So Super Size Me was a propaganda piece.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    What did make America fat? The fiscal model blames it on overeating and inactivity. That will control it but doesn't really answer the question of what makes people fat.

Eric Schlosser blames it on fast food, yet the explosion of the fast food industry predated the increase in obesity. Obesity rates barely budged during the 50s 60s and 70s.

In a survey of obese adults done by social scientists at the University of California it asked women when they had started dieting, nearly two-thirds had gone on their first diet before age fourteen. Maybe dieting actually promoted their obesity. In Losing It, her expose of the billion dollar diet industry, author Laura Fraser believes it to be bingeing and diet foods.

In a study where researchers compared people with similar diets and physical activity they found that those experiencing food insecurity were the ones that were overweight. Once again, binge eating.When their food stamps ran out or their children's medical expenses used up the food budget they ate very little. When food became available they binged. Over time, their bodies adapted to the alteration by converting more of what they ate to body fat.

There are so many possible causes but I'm off to a Vietnamese place for seven courses of beef. Love those meatballs with peanuts, onions, lemongrass.

I'll reply to the original article later. :)

*most of these thoughts are influenced by Glassner's Gospel of Food book.

** you can't beat their french fries. Soooo good!
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I'm sure he is in perfect health! Super size me anyone?

I'm very dubious about that movie because Morgan Spurlock refuses to release the diary of what he actually ate. I seem to remember people calculating that he must have been eating a lot more than he claimed to gain the amount of weight he did.

Eating McDonalds every day is not healthy by any means, you will miss out on a lot of micronutrients. That said, macronutrients are 10x more important in my opinion. I think it might be psychological if you feel bad every time you eat McDonalds. I ate some tonight as part of a balanced weekly diet and feel perfect.

I'm not saying you can't have it every once in a while as part of a balanced diet. You're doing it the correct way. The point was that you could eat there all the time, lose weight, and seemingly be perfectly ok. I think not. Someone could eat nothing but peanut M&Ms, stay under their calorie, and lose weight. But will they be healthy? Probably not.

This is a false equivalence. The McDonald's menu and specifically the food this particular person was eating is a lot more varied and includes far more micro and macronutrients than a diet composed entirely of peanut M&Ms.

^ this
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    How did he stay full D: That food only makes me hungrier..
  • RockWarrior84
    RockWarrior84 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Just looked at McDonalds nutrition, while it is not the healthiest, I do remember the movie Super Size me, there are a several of options in the 25-300 range for food. There are numerous wraps and salads they offer. I can see how he stayed under 2000 calories but man his variety would not be that great. If you have the will you can make things work.
  • in_the_stars
    in_the_stars Posts: 1,395 Member
    Options
    By Schlosser's (Fast Food Nation) own account, "the enormous buying power of the fast food giants has given them access to some of the cleanest ground beef."

What is not healthy about that?