I tried not to judge

Options
Marcia315
Marcia315 Posts: 460 Member
But I couldn't help myself.

I was at the gym yesterday and minding my own business on the elliptical. A woman the elliptical 2 away from me was carrying on repeated and very loud conversations on her cell phone while I she was on the elliptical. Loud enough that I could hear her even though I had my iPod on.

When she was done talking, she was either texting or net surfing on her phone. Then she went back to talking.

Lord knows I'm not one to be judging anyone at the gym, but I judged her.

Replies

• fallingtrees
    fallingtrees Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Rude is rude. Most gyms have rules against cell phones.
  • liftsforchocolate
    Options
    Extremely annoying.

There was a lady next to me on the treadmill last week (I went later during the day than usual) and she was gossiping about other friends on the phone for at least 20 minutes.

Then when she was done, she was typing stuff on her phone. This woman also keeps a magazine with her at all times, I really don't get it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    was this by any chance at Planet Fitness?

because you may have broken the law if so.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    was she talking about anything interesting though?
  • Marcia315
    Options

Nope, not Planet Fitness. I'm good
  • hellsbells3272
    hellsbells3272 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    you have every right to judge. First of all why were they in the gym in the first place? Just so they could say 'I'm working out' - well wow amazing!!! Secondly it ruined the ambience of your workout.

Our gym doesn't allow mobiles in the gym thank goodness.

Complain to reception and see if you can get policy changed (or enforced)
  • Marcia315
    Options
    was she talking about anything interesting though?

No. I didn't know anyone she was talking about.
  • hellsbells3272
    Options

What's against the law? Judging? Or listening to someone's conversation?
  • Ely82010
    Ely82010 Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    At my gym, talking on the phone while working out is not allowed, and a complain to the gym monitors would have resulted in an intervention.
    If somebody wants to read, text or surf the net while working out, then she/he is no bothering anybody with loudness. On the other hand, if that person is overextending the use of the equipment, especially cardio equipment when 30 minutes is the maximum if somebody is waiting, then another intervention would be necessary.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    you have every right to judge. First of all why were they in the gym in the first place? Just so they could say 'I'm working out' - well wow amazing!!! Secondly it ruined the ambience of your workout.

She was in the gym because she has a paid membership, too.
  • Marcia315
    Options

Meh. I thought it was funnier than everything else. Why bother going to the gym if you aren't going to break a sweat?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

jf+zone.jpg

:tongue:
  • hellsbells3272
    Options

In the gym talking and texting rather than working out properly. It was sort of rhetorical.
  • viciouslitany
    viciouslitany Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I listen to music and text at the gym when I'm on the treadmill or the elliptical. I just get bored when I'm on it, since the televisions are of no interest to me - and when I walk in my neighborhood I text, too, so it doesn't feel that different to me.

But everyone is different!

However, chatting on the phone? No thanks.
  • hellsbells3272
    Options

jf+zone.jpg

:tongue:

haha is that a UK gym?
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options

non capisco. they have a law you can't judge elliptical users? \GAAAA we need a delete button.. others already asked the same thing. my apologies for not reading the whole post..
    and now that I have,, the Planet Fitness thing slash judging thing. don't they mean physical appearance slash body shaming not behavior slash gym ettiquette?
  • Marcia315
    Options

Planet Fitness bills itself as a judgment free zone.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I know this person and at least 5 or 6 more just like her.

If she was able to speak loudly, her heart rate was not where it needed to be. Take solace in the fact that she will never ever be in shape...ever. For them, and I'm judging right now, it is all for show.

4jtc49.jpg
  • lablueluna
    Options

I was at the gym yesterday and minding my own business on the elliptical. A woman the elliptical 2 away from me was carrying on repeated and very loud conversations on her cell phone while I she was on the elliptical. Loud enough that I could hear her even though I had my iPod on.

UGH! Talking on a cellphone whilst working out is SO UNNECESSARY. My gym is Planet Fitness and I see this happen a lot. I usually just turn the volume up on my music and try to ignore but I'm guilty of throwing passive aggressive dirty looks the person's way. I have not yet gotten annoyed enough to stop my workout to find an employee. They don't really do anything anyway.
  • 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options

In the gym talking and texting rather than working out properly. It was sort of rhetorical.

And I was just sayin' that she has the right to be there regardless of whether others think she is doing it "properly". So what if she's not quite as serious about a work-out as someone else?